Notices

Need some help - turbo/fuel/ignition/overheating...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help - turbo/fuel/ignition/overheating...

Okay I'm posting this here because I'm sure its forced induction related. I'm just gonna list out the problems - I want some of you more experienced old pals to try and figure it out. I need help.

Problem #1 - I believe my car is misfiring in the high rpms. Basically, when I floor it, I hear like a loud ....scratching? sound. The tach gets stuck and then it'll jump. For example when I was flooring it, it jumped from 6000 to 8000 rpm INSTANTLY. The tach flies fast but, it just stopped at 6000 then went to 8000 immediately. Plus you can hear the sound. Sometimes it'll get stuck at 5000 then jump to 7000 then slowly climb its way to 8000 while it makes the sound. When I first had my stock ignition (the coil), the spring was messed up inside and I replaced it with the MSD external cap + blaster 2 coil. This had fixed the problem. But now all the sudden its back. I think I also changed my plugs a couple days before that, the ones before them weren't fouled at all though. They are gapped right now at about 42 i think. I have the MSD Sport Compact Ignition as well. I'm going to open up the plugs tomorrow and check the plugs to see if they are fouled. Then I'll know its fuel. But if its neither of those, what could it be?

Problem #2- My radiator had just recently cracked so I decided to step up to the Big Fluidyne. Well I got the Fluidyne in with my new FAL fans as well. It looks nice, but my car still overheats. I overheated a lot before I got the new radiator and I thought replacing it would fix it. Well I got everything installed and I took off on the highway and did a couple full throttle runs to re-calibrate my profec-a and I noticed my car was totally overheating. So I got to my destination (a car shop) and I properly bled out all the air bubbles inside that I may have had (even though I did that before I left, by running the car with the cap off). So this time I let the car heat up a little bit and then took the cap off to let the air out. I put the cap back on and drove around for a little bit and came back. I let the car cool off for a bit and then I reopened the cap to let whatever air was left and then I put the cap back on. I was on my way home and I just did one little run and it started overheating again. I don't know what could be wrong. It seems to go 3/4th to 4/5th HOT and then (while driving on the freeway) it starts to go back down to the middle. But if I step on it at all hard it'll shoot back up. I'm gonna drain all the fluid out tomorrow and put a 50/50 mix. Right now I'd say its more of a 80/20 (I live in california, water dissipates heat better). But maybe that might be it. If not, any ideas? Well, thanks for your time.

-kurt
Old 08-31-2001, 04:42 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Need some help - turbo/fuel/ignition/overheating... (immortal)

Bring your gap down to like 27-29.. that might cure the misfiring. as for over heating have you checked the thermostat?

Old 08-31-2001, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has the same problem with his Fluidyne. I was thinking its his fan arrangement. He has one in line of the distributor puller just like stock and another, pusher, attached to the A/C condensor radiator thing.

He has a new thermostat, drilled. I am stumped besides my suggestion to him to move his fans back to stock. This is a LS integra turbo.

Lets solve this one folks!
Old 08-31-2001, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help - turbo/fuel/ignition/overheating... (Doodoo)

you probably have air in the system. have you bled the system using the nipple that is attached to the head. If so do it that way. Second thing is to get a thermostat and drill out the outer edge a little and put that in there.

the fluidyne with one fan should do the trick. What you can do is get larger CFM fan rather than the fal one etc. The fal look good but they dont provide enough coolign from what i saw. The pep boy/autozone fans produce more it seems like.

You should wire in switch that can control your fan all the time so you can kick it on.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:57 AM
Trial User

1)check your plugs... If they are clean, recheck your ignition connections... if they are all fine, bring the gap down to .35 and see if that helps... if it does, slowly increase your gap little by little to maybe .40 if the car likes it...

2)Make sure your fan/fans are coming on as they should and blowing hard. Replace your thermastat with a 160 degree one... first place that comes to mind is Jackson Racing as they have them for $10... might find one locally for less. Last, if you have to, use some Redline water wetter...