Notices

Need some help with oil getting past oil seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with oil getting past oil seals

Engine is a b18c5. Precision SC61 ball bearing, have also tried another ball bearing Precision turbo and had the same results. Originally i had a SC61 non-ball bearing and thats was smoking badly so i sent it to be rebuilt and upgraded to the ball bearing.

What is happening is that there is a large amount of oil getting into the turbine housing at idle and when you rev it (makes a LOT of smoke). It has the .030 restrictor supplied with teh turbo in place. Oil pressure when cold at idle with cold idle is at about 65-70psi and when it warms up fully at 800rpm the oil pressure is at 45, but if you rev it to 2000 the oil pressure goes to 80 and above.

We have replaced the oil pump with a brand new P72 oil pump from Acura, and have the same problem. Car runs perfectly NA with a header. The ball bearing turbo has been sent back and bearings and stuff replaced 3 times, so i'm pretty sure it's not the turbo, and they even sent a brand new turbo to test with and the same issue still persists. Why is my oil pressure so high , and what the hell can i do to fix this.

This car ran perfectly with the turbo for almost 2 years, then one day ...it decided it liked NA better.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with oil getting past oil seals (Spunkster)

my car does the same thing i drove it last year it was find this year it smoke bad
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with oil getting past oil seals (tegturbo)

Hows your pcv breather setup?

Here's what i've learned this spring. I put a clear line on my return line so i could figure some stuff out. First, i noticed mine would start out fine, then after a couple minutes the line would back up, clear to the turbo. Change my pvc setup, and it helped a bunch. I also found that if you leave a hose clamp off, it was messing me up too, it must creat a vaccum or something, cuz it would suck the oil right up the drain line. Don't know, my issue ended up being something that i didn't do with my turbo properly, and so i fixed that problem.

I know you said its been running for two years fine, so i don't really know, that is wierd. But it is fairly simple oil comes in, it goes out via gravity, so if it can't get out then it backs up, and the oil finds the weakest area.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with oil getting past oil seals (coneheadsracing)

I'm still trying to get the freeze plug out that is in the back of the block to put the pcv system in and the oil separator box. I still think it's strange that it worked fine for 2 years without it. BUt I'll let you know if that solves the problem...I'm really hopping it does...the car has been down now for almost 5 months becuase of this.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how's your air filter? I recently had oil in the compressor side of my turbo and it turned out the air filter was clogged & the turbo wasn't getting enough air to it, which created a vacuum that pulled oil thru the seal and into the compressor housing. I removed the air filter and the problem went away.

Also as previously stated too much crankcase pressure can cause the oil to back up in your return line.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with oil getting past oil seals (notoriousB)

compressor side is fine...have tried multiple turbos with same results. I just don't see how there would be that much pressure at idle in the crank case or even at 2000 rpm, but I'm putting in the PCV stuff as soon as we get the freeze plug out.

Modified by Spunkster at 4:54 PM 5/2/2006
Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that it was worse at idle, i can't vouch while driving, but when i would be sitting there, and watching it back up, if i revved it up a bit, it would drop down some, or pulling out my dipstick tube.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PCV system is in and the problem finally appears to be resolved. I let the car warm up and reved it and no more leaking or smoke with my original SC61. Amazing how something so simple and something which everyone said that shouldn't be an issue at idle turned out to be the cause of soooooo much frustration.