Notices

Need Pic of healthy turbo inlet fins

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Pic of healthy turbo inlet fins

My Garret is looking worse and worse as I inspect it. The exhaust outlet fins look good while the intake inlet fins look kinda like something was scraping along the top of the fins. Although there is no shaft wobble at all and moves really well, could this be a problem if I plan to use this turbo? I don't know how close the fins have to be to the wall of the turbine, it has about 1/2mm gap between the compressor and fins.

Luckly I got the warranty at the pick and pull yard, gonna go back next week and maybe return and get another turbo if I can find one this time.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Pic of healthy turbo inlet fins (technine)

hope this helps. also my server will be going off line so at around 5pm the pics might not be up

Old 06-04-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, this helps a hole bunch. Thanks! Looks like mine are ground down a little at the front on the larger fins but are fine on the smaller fins. Would you think it should be still good? Would using a drill to spin the turbo be a good way to see if it pull/pushes air good?

Never mind, I'm gonna return it. Just checked it out again and it is pretty bad. Thanks again.

[Modified by technine, 8:59 PM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 12:06 PM

better to be safe than sorry. turbos spin at a extreamly high rpm.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:28 PM
New User

Yes, this helps a hole bunch. Thanks! Looks like mine are ground down a little at the front on the larger fins but are fine on the smaller fins. Would you think it should be still good? Would using a drill to spin the turbo be a good way to see if it pull/pushes air good?

Never mind, I'm gonna return it. Just checked it out again and it is pretty bad. Thanks again.

[Modified by technine, 8:59 PM 6/4/2002]
A little chewing up on the blades won't hurt you too much unless it is enough to knock the wheel out of balance

DO NOT spin the turbo up with a drill - the bearings only work when there's a pressurized oil supply on the turbo and you will probably damage them spinning dry.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Pic of healthy turbo inlet fins (dbman96)

A little chewing up on the blades won't hurt you too much unless it is enough to knock the wheel out of balance

DO NOT spin the turbo up with a drill - the bearings only work when there's a pressurized oil supply on the turbo and you will probably damage them spinning dry.
Well, I just tested it out with a drill (cordless makita) and it gave out air. The makita is a very low RPM drill so no damage was done and it spun pretty slow (compaired it if it was on the motor) and I only did it for under 10 sec.

I don't know, maybe I will keep it so I don't have to pull/find another one. Seems to be pumping air out at a good rate and I have 27 days left to return it. Maybe I'll just keep it another 10 to do some fitting and go back to see if they have anymore to exchange possably. Only got it for $50 anyway w/ warranty.

Thanks guys... this turbo project is getting more interesting.