Notices

Need more power for open track events! Seeking advice!

Old 03-16-2004, 12:44 PM
cjb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power for open track events! Seeking advice!

I have a stock block D16 with 150k miles on it. It's been running the 9psi JRSC for about 40k of those. The SC has close to 100k miles on it alone! My most recent dyno chart is below...

My question is, what should I do next? I noticed that JR has the new Hondata remapped ECU's available now, and it looks like they are putting down some good power, but I'm concerned about the high mileage of my engine.

Since I bought my new Evo, I now have the Turbo bug. I've been told that it's difficult to make a Turbo B16/18 reliable for open track events. I tried searching on this site, but it looks like most of the people with Turbo cars are doing 1/4 racing. Since I had overheating problems on my D16, I'm expecting problems with a Turbo setup, but I could be wrong. I was able to get away with a bigger oil pan + Fuidyne radiator to solve those problems.

I'd think that a B18 (stock block) running about 10psi intercooled with oil cooler, bigger radiator, and larger oil pan would be safe...

What do you guys think? I'm also not certain on how much power I really want. I'd like to be able to pull some American Muscle on the straights, but not sure how much it'll take to do that. At my current power I'm about even with E36 M3's/911's on the straights. Maybe something like 220-250WHP?

On a separate topic, how much would you say my D16 with JRSC would be worth?

Thanks for the help!

-CJ

Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aside from good tuning, if you're going to do Open Track events, you'll need to anticipate the areas where heat buildup will be a major factor, whether turbo or supercharged. The oil cooler would be a step in the right direction. You don't mention what chassis you're running so I can't tell whether you have a full width or half width Fluidyne, but in either case, you'll probably be okay, only better off with the full width. Intercoolers/water injection are a must so you'll have to decide there what you want and how much you want to spend. I'm running 10psi on a GSR and I've seen intake temps over 220F on a hot day under full boost, and that heat soak doesn't dissipate so quickly from the JRSC. You might also want to go in the engine a make a switch to stainless steel valves and forged pistons and rods to combat the heat.

I haven't heard of people putting in transmission oil coolers, but I would also look into that, especially if you do the desert tracks like Willow Springs.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roadrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I haven't heard of people putting in transmission oil coolers, but I would also look into that, especially if you do the desert tracks like Willow Springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use an automatic radiator and it has a place right in it for a transmission cooler. BTW you should consider opening up the front bumper a little big more for better cooling
Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
cjb

Default Re: (roadrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aside from good tuning, if you're going to do Open Track events, you'll need to anticipate the areas where heat buildup will be a major factor, whether turbo or supercharged. The oil cooler would be a step in the right direction. You don't mention what chassis you're running so I can't tell whether you have a full width or half width Fluidyne, but in either case, you'll probably be okay, only better off with the full width. Intercoolers/water injection are a must so you'll have to decide there what you want and how much you want to spend. I'm running 10psi on a GSR and I've seen intake temps over 220F on a hot day under full boost, and that heat soak doesn't dissipate so quickly from the JRSC. You might also want to go in the engine a make a switch to stainless steel valves and forged pistons and rods to combat the heat.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running a "half" size Civic Fluidyne... For the D16 at 9psi it seems to do an ok job. I have no idea what kind of intake temps I'm running, but on a 100+ day at Thunderhill here in California, I'd imagine that I'm running at least 220F...

That is the main reason that I'm thinking of doing a Turbo setup on the new engine (DOHC). My concern is then what kind of oil temps am I going to encounter? I'd like to think that an oil cooler would keep temps low enough that overheating wouldn't be an issue, but I don't know for sure.

Keep 'em coming!

-CJ
Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cjb)

ever think about rebuilding the d16 and turboing that? 220whp should be relitivly easy to obtain.

Just an idea
Old 03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
cjb

Default Re: (FkingSUV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FkingSUV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ever think about rebuilding the d16 and turboing that? 220whp should be relitivly easy to obtain.

Just an idea</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of boost do you think would be necessary for 220 WHP. Do you think that's attainable without overheating the engine? I assume you are talking about putting in lower compression piston's, etc...

-CJ
Old 03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You most likely would hit your 220 Hp target with about 10psi, but the D-series connecting rods don't look too strong to me. The B18 would be a better bet and be less stressed. If you stay with your current configuration and add the oil cooler, you should have enough thermal reserves to lap for long sessions.