Notices

Need info on turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on turbo build

Ok so before you all kill me, I have done a search and I've even looked over the last 6 pages in the FI forum but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Over the next year or two I will be building up to slap a turbo on my 2000 teg ls. What I want to do is get a lot of information about doing it right. I want to be able to talk the talk with people who have turbo's before I get into starting to build my own. I think I'll stay away from the already made kits (too much $$$) so I'm looking at building my own. I want to know about size of turbos, inter coolers, piping, BOV, waste-gates etc....which ones are good, which ones to stay away from, which ones will fit my engine, etc....basically I want to now as much as possible about the dynamics of the turbo set up.

So what my question is, can you all please tell me of website that you have or still visit that contains very good information about building up your own turbo set up. I have come across a couple of OK pages (one was hometurbo or something like that but it doesn't seem to work on this computer at work so I'll have to wait and see if it's any good when I get home) but I figure you all must go to or know of some very informative websites.

If I am not asking the right information or looking in the wrong direction, feel free to point me to the right place. What I mean is, if I'm going about this wrong, I want to know. I'd rather know now then many months of wasted time down the road.

Thanks,

Beefy
Old 05-12-2003, 11:32 AM

anyone?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (beefpigs)

come on.....
Old 05-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need info on turbo build (beefpigs)

I'll help you out. Before I got my first turbo kit, I didnt know $h!t. After I got it on is when I started learning about it. I pretty much learned from experience. Im from AZ and NOBODY out here had an aftermarket turbo so I didnt know whos opinion to get. So I started off with a crx b16 with a drag 3 kit. I sold it a few months later cause I decided that I wanted to actually go fast. I am currently building another crx but instead of a b16, its gonna have more displacement, i moved up to a ls vtec. but this time i am doin everything right. I got it sleeved with oversized pistons, new rods, and an eagle billet race crank.

Anyway, back to your question. just get peoples opinion about what to get and what not to get. and its good that you searched first.

I wont tell you to stay away from certain companies cause i dont like to talk $h!t, but I will tell you some good companies. They might seem pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Turbo Kit http://www.full-race.com
Intercooler PWR
Turbo I hear the Precision SC 61 is good
Blow off valves and Wastegates <U>TIAL</U>
ecu Hondata
MSD injetors

i dont know how much more you want me to say, but if you have any other questions, let me know.

Modified by EF8_Fan at 10:58 PM 5/12/2003
Old 05-12-2003, 09:08 PM

Some parts will be better for certain power outputs so i would recommend that you first set some hp goals. For example, I personally wouldn't go for the full-race kit that was recommended if i was only looking for 300hp...that kit can support way more than that but would be overkill. It is a very high quality kit though so if money isn't too much of an issue overkill can be good. Give us some more specific hp goals and we can definately send you in the right direction...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:07 AM

i hope this is ok....but here might be some help

http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 05-13-2003, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Need info on turbo build (civicshowracing65)

Great thanks for your responses. I forgot to mention my "goals" for this project.

Basically I'm not looking at a race car set up (yet). I'm mainly looking to increase my hp/tq and I will be doing some autoXing. So for power goals I think I'd be looking at somewhere between 210-250 whp. I think I'd start off only trying to achieve ~200 whp and see how everything goes, from there I was thinking of starting on internals but for now I'm looking at just trying to get the kit built and working properly.

Oh yeah, http://www.homemadeturbo.com is the kind of thing I'm looking for, so if anyone else has websites with good info let me know.

Opps forgot to mention (I think) that I have a 2000 LS
Old 05-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on my stock b16 with drag 3 kit, i was already over 225whp. Over 200 is really easy to achieve with a turbo. but if you are going to be doin autoxing, then I would go with a supercharger.