Notices

need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (ex greddy, f-max, revhard, maxrev)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (ex greddy, f-max, revhard, maxrev)

Im doing a project from school i need to get info on your experiances with your premade turbo kits.

like what problems u had during installation, what problems after installation and what problems later on down the road. reason being i need to attempt to sell my marketing class on which turbo kit would be better. i just need facts no bs and personal experiance is preffured. thanks for the help!!!!!

Greddy, Fmax, Revhard, Maxrev, apexi, drag, hks, all the main companies are welcome. i have done my own home made setup that i can use to compair also. just give me the facts and your experiances.

Old 04-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (bmcc72)

example when i installed my kit i had to shave some of the block. and i still didn;t keep my ac even with the revhard manifold. need some info. help me out
Old 04-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my old drag kit, the turbo was actaully touching the A/C lines so obiviously the A/C had to go. And there was no flange on the downpipe already (I expected that but that would be a cool thing for companies to make on their turbo kits). The oil return line was a 90 degree bent piece of metal with a rubber fitting on that. SS lines replaced that. I think those are the only major problems I had with the install. Doing a custom kit seems to be the more economical way to get what you really want though.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (MyWhiteCivic)

thanks for the post that's exactly what im looking for keep the info comming.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the night
Old 04-14-2003, 03:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

If you think the MaxRev kit is a premade kit, you have another thing coming. You're only getting some parts to start with.

it's more like a started kit, and th erest you need to finish by yourself. At least, I did when I did mine.

But as far the maxrev thing goes.
You will have to shave teh block depending on what turbo you get, I had to shave mine.
Nothing really fits right, my DP doesn't line up correctly, getting a custom made testpipe is required, no real charge pipe. All piping needs to be custom fabricated, transition hoses not included, some oil lines were not included as well like the oil return line, some more oil fittings, no bov so I had to buy that separate, but I think their current kit/starter comes with their own maxrev bov which I have heard mix things about.

So when it came down to it, the maxrev kit has two things that were maxrev for me, manifold, and the DP, everthing else was a different brand. I didn't even use their piping cuase the radius was so large that I couldn't curve it around to fit my setup, ended up buying new piping ANYWAY.

Once it was done though, it came out pretty nice.
So I give the maxrev ... yet at the same time

I'm overally happy with it.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (Snafu-Si)

thanks for the reply keep them comming
Old 04-14-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fmax...no shaving..pretty much everything fit, but the stock manifold bolts didn't fit...had to buy studs to get them on
Old 04-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (MiraiZ)

could u keep a/c and power steering and what do u mean the bolts didn;t fit? the mani didn;t fit on the head???

thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

come on guys help me out
Old 04-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 04-15-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt x2
Old 04-15-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (Snafu-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafu-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think the MaxRev kit is a premade kit, you have another thing coming. You're only getting some parts to start with.

it's more like a started kit, and th erest you need to finish by yourself. At least, I did when I did mine.

But as far the maxrev thing goes.
You will have to shave teh block depending on what turbo you get, I had to shave mine.
Nothing really fits right, my DP doesn't line up correctly, getting a custom made testpipe is required, no real charge pipe. All piping needs to be custom fabricated, transition hoses not included, some oil lines were not included as well like the oil return line, some more oil fittings, no bov so I had to buy that separate, but I think their current kit/starter comes with their own maxrev bov which I have heard mix things about.

So when it came down to it, the maxrev kit has two things that were maxrev for me, manifold, and the DP, everthing else was a different brand. I didn't even use their piping cuase the radius was so large that I couldn't curve it around to fit my setup, ended up buying new piping ANYWAY.

Once it was done though, it came out pretty nice.
So I give the maxrev ... yet at the same time

I'm overally happy with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a max-rev kit too on an h22 with a t3/t60-1.

First problem i had was the compressor housing, I couldn't clocked it right so I had to run my piping trough the bottom and it was a pain in the *** to do it.
I was missing like 2 fitting for the oil feed kit.
The DIY wasn't enough.
the DP didn't lined up on right to my exhaust.
Bolting the DP to the turbo was a pain, I only have 3 bolts because the fourth ones is in such and ackward(sp) position that I just gave up.
I think that's about it.
After everything was done I could still say max-rev is ok. next time I would go custom for sure.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (LJR-LUDE01)

ttt x3
Old 04-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt x4
Old 04-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could u keep a/c and power steering and what do u mean the bolts didn;t fit? the mani didn;t fit on the head???

thanks </TD></TR></TABLE> Kept AC...the heads on the manifold bolt were too big and could not be torqued because the edges kept hitting the exhaust runners. So we had to go out and get the rounded head hex type bolts to replace the stock bolts...everything else fit pretty well.

On thing I don't like about the kit is the ERL MF2 fuel injector controller . it works well for some people but my car is a Type R. FMAX warned me that their kits were never designed for the R so somthings may not work (MF2 was one of them) The original settings made the car run lean so adjusted it and it ran too rich after that. I spent several weeks playing with the potometers on the MF2, but the car never ran right with it on. A lot of times, 2 of the cylinder ran REALLY rich and the other two really lean.

I wound up tossing the MF2 altogether for a stand alone management system....the difference was like day and night.

The only other thing I didn't like was the RIdeal headgasket that they sold me with my kit. It threw off the timing quite significantly because it raised the head up a few mm's to degrease compression. Eventually the head gasket gave along with my engine because of fuel and timing issues.

I have rebuilt my engine since with low compression forged pistons, stock HG, forged rods, added larger injectors and a computer that can control it all and it runs great.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: need info from all who installed a premade turbo kit (MiraiZ)

Im looking to get the Revhard Stage 2c kit with a T3/T04E. I am concerned that the manifold that is supposed to retain the A/C infact does not allow the A/C to fit. If thats the case I might as well go for a log style race manifold.