Notices

Need info/advice on JRSC D-series build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info/advice on JRSC D-series build

Ok, I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of what I've gathered so far...

The motor is a D15B7, 227k, doesn't smoke or leak.

Build Plan

<U>Engine:</U>
New timing belt
New water pump
New valve cover gasket
New copper exhaust manifold gasket
Hondata intake manifold gasket
New head gasket
New oil pan gasket
ARP head studs

<U>Bolt-ons:</U>
Header
Skunk2 test pipe
RS*R ExMag cat-back
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
New clutch
D16Z6/D16Y8/D15B tranny

<U>Tuning:</U>
Apex'i S-AFC I or II

I'm looking to run 6-8psi. Yes I'd just like to "hack" for now. I don't want to upgrade any of the fuel system unless it is absolutely necessary. Of course I'd get it dyno tuned. I'm unsure on what to get for the header and head gasket as well. Im sure I'll think of more later, thanks for the help guys...
Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need info/advice on JRSC D-series build (VXpower)

Oh, here's the thread .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The motor is a D15B7, 227k, doesn't smoke or leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but that's still incredibly high mileage for boost. The rings will go soon, and I'm sure the head is gunked up. It probably needs a valve job, new seals, etc. I would seriously consider swapping in a new motor first. A full b7 swap in only about $300. Or you could do a full y8 swap (which I highly recommend) for about $600. Personally, I wouldn't boost that current motor. Not only will it make very low power (it's going to be slow, trust me) but it also won't last very long.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Build Plan...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your plan should be to get a new motor! If not, you'd need a rebuild. Replacing all those gaskets and such is just the tip of the iceburg. What you really need is an engine overhaul - new rings, a fresh bore/hone, a valve job, new valve seals, etc.

As far as your aftermarket priority list, it should go something like this.

1. A good intake.
2. A good header. You basically have two options. The first is the Kamikaze 2.5" 4-1. The second is the DC JDM 2.5" 4-1. Those two make the best power.
3. A matching 2.5" catback exhaust.
4. Performance head work.
5. A better clutch.

Those things are all you really need for a basic setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:59 PM

Yes high mileage sucks, but nonetheless I bought it a month ago, and it was from the original owner. She was an optometrist, the motor is in good shape, I'm not doubting you though. I figure if it goes out I'll just get a D15B (like my 1.5L's) from hmotorsonline.com

I'm going to have the head decked for sure, and since the motor has quite a few miles, thats why I'm going to do the head gasket and ARP studs before this thing ever makes it into the engine bay. Lots of miles on an old motor, if it goes, then so be it. Thanks for all your help man, what do you recommend for a head gasket?

S-AFC tuned on stock fuel system should be ok? Or do I still need the FMU?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woahh. too many miles to do forced induction or any performance work in that motor. The 277K mile motor may be working now, but what about tripling(is that even a word) the stress levels that it has been goign through. Its not going to last long.

277K miles puts alot of wear and tear on an engine no matter how good you take care of it. It may be in decent condition, but its not something to be expected to last long.

The money you put in the new timing belt, head gasket, etc might all go to waste once the motor is boosted and the rest of the block takes a crap.

well dont take any advice from me, I'm just a 30 y/o guy that has seen stuff like this so often , being in the scene since 1993.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

No dude, I don't doubt you one bit. I've blown 5 engines myself, one D16A6, one Chevy 305, a Chevy 327, and two Chevy 350's. I don't expect this to last too long, and as far as the parts costing me money, I work at AutoZone, 20% discount! Honda motors are a dime a dozen and you can get them all day long, not always the same with JRSC's....

Like I said I'll probably end up getting the D15B, I'd like to stay 1.5L...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: (VXpower)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VXpower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes high mileage sucks, but nonetheless I bought it a month ago, and it was from the original owner. She was an optometrist, the motor is in good shape, I'm not doubting you though. I figure if it goes out I'll just get a D15B (like my 1.5L's) from hmotorsonline.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

No motor with that mileage is in good shape. Grandma driven or not. The $200 you'll spend in gaskets and such is half the cost of a whole new motor! Why wouldn't you just get a new one? You can find a grip of those "40,000 mile JDM import" motors all over ebay.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm going to have the head decked for sure, and since the motor has quite a few miles, thats why I'm going to do the head gasket and ARP studs before this thing ever makes it into the engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why remove the head? Decked? ARP studs? That stuff won't even do anything. I don't even know how to help you because you want to flush a couple hundred dollars down the drain when you really need a new motor.

what do you recommend for a head gasket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM MLS (multi-layer steel) is the best.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">S-AFC tuned on stock fuel system should be ok? Or do I still need the FMU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

With an S-AFC, you need to get rid of the FMU and swap in larger injectors.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: (EnzoSpeed)

Well, I may just get the JRSC now, like I had planned, then get the other stuff I'll need. I've done several D15B swaps into Civics myself, and the motors are always clean, and they're all still on the road. My car runs fine now so no doubt it'll will last me plenty long to gather everything. Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming...

How big should I go injector wise?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: (VXpower)

I'd get these injectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1
Old 02-13-2006, 11:29 PM

Seriously though, I don't know. I used 450's for 8psi, but I don't know if you can handle those with an AFC.

An AFC is really not good for forced induction.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 PM

Ok, so I got busy on the motor deal, I scored a D15B7 for $150 today. It's currently in a friends DX, 72031 on it. He was going to do a mini-me swap but I talked him into doing the whole D15B VTEC swap...

Just waiting to see a pic of the blades, then I should have my supercharger...