Notices

Need the hook ups on how to install my MSD6A/w ext coil/ 1st Gen B16

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need the hook ups on how to install my MSD6A/w ext coil/ 1st Gen B16

I have a LS/VTEC/TURBO setup. I have a 1st Gen head on the car with a 1st Gen distributer (tall distributer cap). I bought a MSD6A with external coil off a board member on this site. I just got the car started about 3 weeks ago. I didn't want to install it until I knew everything was all good. So my question is, can someone show me (with pics please) what exactly do I remove or disconnect inside the distributer? Please don't just tell me because I don't know whats what inside the distributer. Show me with visuals so I can tackle this job tonight when I get home from work.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the hook ups on how to install my MSD6A/w ext coil/ 1st Gen B16 (MIKES)

Well it doesn't look like anyones busting out the pic's. SO if you have the instructions there are pictures of the honda distributor at the back of them its pretty straight forward.

Find a place to mount the MSD box and coil, measure the wires lengths.

All you do is take of the 3 bolts around the out side of the dizzy cap remove the cap, at the top of the dizzy there is the coil its is rectangular has the hole in it, theres 2 wires attached to the right of it there marked negative and positive, the positive side is actually two wires joined leave them joined. Unscrew those wires and remove the internal coil. Now you hook the white wire from your MSD BOX to the negative wire from the internal coil, the RED wire from the MSD BOX goes to the positive wire from the internal coil. You do not put back in the internal coil obviously, run the wire through the little rubber grommet on the top of the dizzy, use a drill and drill a couple more holes through it.

Now replace the old cap with your new one remember the rubber seal that comes with it, from there mount your ne External coil remeber to keep it upright, then run orange wire from the MSD BOX to the positive side of the coil the black wire from the MSD BOX to the negative side.

When making the new wire for your external coil make sure you use the bigger rubber boot the dual crimp version the instructions are vague but that is the only one that would fit.

Well hope that helps
Old 07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the hook ups on how to install my MSD6A/w ext coil/ 1st Gen B16 (turbozxi)

Thank you very much bro, I greatly appreciate it
Old 07-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the hook ups on how to install my MSD6A/w ext coil/ 1st Gen B16 (MIKES)

Sweet goodluck