Notices

need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm

Old 06-28-2001, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm

i know this topic has been covered before by dustin. but i sent him an IM with no response so, i'll turn to everyone else. the focus here is to be able to arm the alarm when the turbo timer is couting down. i did the wiring as stated in his previous post with the five point relay.

i wired my greddy turbo timer traditionally to a 92-95 civic: 12v constant (red) from the timer to the white wire on the ignition. blue to the solid yellow and the green to the black/yellow wires. and i grounded the black wire as well.

now the five point relay (points 85, 87, 87a, 30, and 86) are wired as follows: 85 to the 12v constant to the alarm (yellow wire with fuse on alpine alarm), 86 to the grey wire on the turbo timer, 87a and 30 are wired to the ignition wire on the alarm (i believe, this is the red wire on the alpine 8049 alarm), and 87 is left open according to dustin. when it is left open, does that mean it isn't hooked up or is it supposed to be hooked up to something?

the weird thing is, i accidentally unhooked the ignition wire to the alarm (red wire, i believe), after splicing it, and the alarm was able to arm with the timer counting down. when i called alpine to ask them about the red wire, they told me that it's purpose is to go off if someone tries to start the car when it is armed. did i do something wrong?

NEED HELP. pls.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm (boostedeg6)

just do a search for turbo timer, it should come up.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm (TurboInteg95)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=36747
Old 06-28-2001, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm (boostedeg6)

Sorry I missed your IM, I was on vacation.

So, you cut the alarm ignition wire.. and then connected one side to pin 30 and the other side to pin 87a ? You want the relay to disconnect the alarm ignition signal wire when the relay gets ground.

Dustin
Old 06-28-2001, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with wiring greddy turbo timer with alpine alarm (dustin)

hey dustin, sorry didn't know you were on vacation. but, i actually wired 87a and 30 to the red ignition wire together. not one on each side. is that what i'm supposed to do? i read in your previous post that i have to wire 87a and 30 "in between" the alarm ignition wire? if so, how do i do that and how would i connect them. i tried the butt connectors and the wire splicing connector that taps into the wire without connecting them. but, the wires from the relay are too fat to fit into either. thanks for the reply. need more info.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you are supposed to cut the alarm ignition signal wire. Then you connect pin 87a to one side of the cut wire, and pin 30 to the other side of the cut wire. To connect bare wires together, twist them together and then solder them / tape them. I used a relay without a wiring harness, so I use used female spade connectors and crimped / soldered them to the necessary wires. Then they just push on to the relay.

Dustin
Old 06-28-2001, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dustin, first off, thanks for the responses. i appreciate your help. i wired it like you said, 87a to one side of the red (ignition wire) and the other side to 30. the alarm works and all when the turbo timer counts down but, when i put the key into the ignition when the alarm is armed, the alarm doesn't go off. is that function disabled? sorry, i'm just meticulous with details and want everything in perfect working order.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it set the alarm off when the alarm is on but the engine is off? (i.e. turbo timer is not counting down?). The relay fools the alarm into thinking the car is off / key is out of the ignition when the timer is counting down. Once the timer finishes, it should re-connect the alarm ignition wire and the alarm should function like before.

Dustin
Old 06-30-2001, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dustin, the alarm doesn't go off when the key is inserted when the turbo timer is counting down. but, after the count down, the alarm does go off if someone tries to start up the car. i tried it and put everything back together and it works like a charm. even have the parking brake feature hooked up. thanks for all your help. it was extremely helpful.