Notices

need help is my turbo rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help is my turbo rebuildable?

i have an old turbonetics t3t4e 57 trim small shaft turbo.after verifying done by turbonetics they told me that they no longer make parts or rebuild kits for.so im wondering if any of you turbo experts know of any rebuild kits are available and if so who makes them.any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: need help is my turbo rebuildable?

how old is old? Pre-2000? Some shared with Garrett, others, from Turbonetics only.

Serial numbers? pictures? etc..
Old 05-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unsure of exact age im not original owner.the numbers on the. blue backplate are t-12609.the turbonetics rep said "it is a very early generation turbo and it is coming up as a t3t4e 57 trim". as for pictures i cant figure out how to post them.if you have an email u can pm me i can send pics that way if you have time.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan
yes. That number is just for the back plate itself, and not for the designation of the entire turbo. You have no other option than to send it into a rebuild facility to find out if it can use Garrett or other company parts
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An old and small t3/t4 is almost never worth rebuilding. Most places will charge $350-450 to rebuild, plus yours and their shipping costs ($20 each way). That is with NO parts needed additionally. You most likely will need new parts. After all is said and done, you could get a new turbo for the same price or $100 more.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 AM

I have to agree with SharRacer here. You're easily looking at about 350-400 dollors just internal parts and labor, without any work or changes of wheels or shafts or anything. Although I would say it would take a bit more than $550 for a new quality turbocharger to replace that.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree with SharRacer here. You're easily looking at about 350-400 dollors just internal parts and labor, without any work or changes of wheels or shafts or anything. Although I would say it would take a bit more than $550 for a new quality turbocharger to replace that.
I havent found anything quality for less than 900.this turbo pulls really nice and has no noticeable shaft play,the only issue is the oil visible in the inlet and a bit of smoke after boosting when i let off.i have one more hope ..the turbo oil return line fitting on the oilpan is bent /crimped to half the diameter its supposed to be.thanks for the advice
Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took oil return hose off and got close pic of oilpan fitting...looks like somebody cramped the fitting sabotoge...
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by planetx
I havent found anything quality for less than 900.this turbo pulls really nice and has no noticeable shaft play,the only issue is the oil visible in the inlet and a bit of smoke after boosting when i let off.i have one more hope ..the turbo oil return line fitting on the oilpan is bent /crimped to half the diameter its supposed to be.thanks for the advice
If it works, then keep it, and check the oil fittings and return lines. And its true. 800-900 is about what you're going to pay for when it comes to the quality stuff.

But I have to admit. that oil feed line at the feed fitting seems.. odd. what are you using?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it works, then keep it, and check the oil fittings and return lines. And its true. 800-900 is about what you're going to pay for when it comes to the quality stuff.

But I have to admit. that oil feed line at the feed fitting seems.. odd. what are you using?
thevpic of the crimped/bent fitting is the oil return fitting on the oiloan.and the feed line iam unsure of what brand but it looks similar to the one goautoworks uses.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 AM

thevpic of the crimped/bent fitting is the oil return fitting on the oiloan.and the feed line iam unsure of what brand but it looks similar to the one goautoworks uses.
I'm not talking about the oil feed line itself. its the integrated fitting that goes into the turbocharger that seems to need attention as well as the return line.

If you don't get these two items in order, it doesn't matter whether or not you rebuild your current turbo, leave it alone, or buy something else. you're going to have a problem.

Get that nonsense fixed before trying to boost.. you'll save a lot of time, money, and headache. start searching about feed line fittings and what to use.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not talking about the oil feed line itself. its the integrated fitting that goes into the turbocharger that seems to need attention as well as the return line.

If you don't get these two items in order, it doesn't matter whether or not you rebuild your current turbo, leave it alone, or buy something else. you're going to have a problem.

Get that nonsense fixed before trying to boost.. you'll save a lot of time, money, and headache. start searching about feed line fittings and what to use.
Iv read up on oil feed and return lines and fittings,and i dont see whats wrong with the fitting on the feed line.im probably missing something obvious..appreciate if you could help me out shodan
Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Iv read up on oil feed and return lines and fittings,and i dont see whats wrong with the fitting on the feed line.im probably missing something obvious..appreciate if you could help me out shodan
That picture doesn't help much, add I need to know what feed line size and fittings you're using in there..maybe it's the lighting or something.

But the return line looks a lot worse.