Notices

Need help. Massive oil loss due to? (from crank case breather)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Massive oil loss due to? (from crank case breather)

So i was getting tuned again today and around the 6th or so run all of a sudden my oil catch (crank case breather setup, two fittings off of the back of the block) can filled up and shot oil everywhere from it being overflown. To make sure if it was filled up over 6 runs or just 1 run I ran it tonight and well, it filled up all over again and shot all over my bay yet again. I loose around a quart.

I filled up my motor back up with oil and limped back home. Driving normally out of boost I don't have the problem. While in boost (up to 16.7psi) it seems like that is where the problem occurs.

Anybody have an ideas what is going on here? I'd like to fix this before I leave for basic training which is MONDAY.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like excessive crank case pressure, which usually means poor sealing rings. Do a leakdown on each cylinder, and you'll probably find one or more cylinders with excessive leak. From there pinpoint where the air is passing through, past a valve or out of the oil dipstick tube...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah sounds like your getting some excess pressure in there...

How high is your can mounted? You might have it too low
Old 08-23-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (turbotime)

The force of the oil while excellerating is making the oil back up the two ports on the back of the block.

It also has to do with the fact your running slightly high boost.

You need more crankcase ventilation, add some more ports to your valvecover to another catch can, make sure the hoses are the largest diameter possible -10 or -12an size (mine are 7/8ths of a inch ID or -12an I think)

Do you have the stock PCV setup?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The force of the oil while excellerating is making the oil back up the two ports on the back of the block.

Do you have the stock PCV setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said it was happening while on the dyno... there is no accelerational force on the dyno, only on the street.

He also said he is running the block fittings-&gt;catchcan so it cant be the stock pcv setup...

but i agree some valvecover vents might help... depends on how high/low the can is mounted, if its too low itll fill very fast.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the dyno I used just a hose from the fittings on the back of the block, no catch can, directly to the ground and on deceleration, I would watch more than a half quart of oil come SHOOTING out of the hoses.

Its too much crankcase pressure.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

hm, i got almost no blowby on the dyno, can barely had anything in it [running back of block fittings]

If you just had a hose to the ground from the block fittings it will definitely shoot oil, cause anything that sloshes back at all will just dump right out, thats why the lines are supposed to go to a high-mounted can.

I agree tho, could be either excessive pressure or can to low. Its odd that it would be excessive pressure tho im running 17psi on the block fitting setup and have no such issues.... can is mounted about even with the battery [eg/ej chassis]
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It does definitely sound like there's too much blow by, however you might try to modify your breather setup, and make sure your breather tank drain is sloped downwards so that all that oil can get back into the block where it belongs.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, i wasn't on the dyno tuning, i forgot to mention it was a street tune.

For reference, here is my bay. As you can see (at least kind of) my lines curve upwards and my can is mounted as high as I can let it go.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a breather on the can?? i cant see one in the pic.... can needs to be vented somehow

aside from that i couldnt say.... compression/leakdown time
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SavEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SavEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, i wasn't on the dyno tuning, i forgot to mention it was a street tune.

For reference, here is my bay. As you can see (at least kind of) my lines curve upwards and my can is mounted as high as I can let it go.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

how can oil drain back into the block? looks like the hose goes up then back down into the can.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah there is a breather...its on the top...the actual filter fell off while I was driving so there was a hole in the picture.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can oil drain back into the block? looks like the hose goes up then back down into the can.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would that be the problem? I thought the angle of it being like that would be enough...should I try relocating it?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well first you obviously have alot of crankcase pressure.
second the oil can't drain back because gravity can't help it go back UP a hose andback down.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you find your valve cover breather is spitting alot of oil on your rail? or just into the can??

yeah the lines should go from the can as straight down as possible, it will be hard with that kind of can- you may be best getting some 90* elbows and putting them on the can so the nipples are more parrallel with the ground, now they kinda point up at a 45* angle... i used to have the same kinda can
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. i was able to wedge the can between the battery and the fuel filter...no brace holding it yet but theres no way its going anywhere . I cut the lines and they are really tight and pointing as vertical as I can get. I turned down the boost to around 10-12 and im going tosee if it spits
Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hurry up, dont crash j/k
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after a run @12 psi, still the same case. The catch can filled up half way in only one run.

I guess i'm going to have to go with my rings being the problem.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a compression AND leakdown before you jump to it being your rings, could save you a lot of time
Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a compression AND leakdown before you jump to it being your rings, could save you a lot of time</TD></TR></TABLE>

of course, i'm not just going to tear up my block haha Not enough time anyway to do it.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good call heh
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my can set up the same way, mounted by the battery and coming from the block fittings. I get 1/2 a can full after a hard pull from a stop. This happened on the very first pull I took on the street on a fresh block setup so I know it was not a problem with my rings. This sounds like a combination of accleration forces pushing oil into the lines, and crankcase pressure further pushing the oil. I would expect SOME oil with the ventilation from the block fittings, but probably not a quart or more shooting out of the can. I added a drain to my setup and never have a problem with it though I will be changing it in the near future so I wont need a drain.

do a leakdown and get back to us.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My setup is fairly new, about 3 weeks old
Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try putting the catch can in front of the motor, that way u know it isnt the acceleratintion causing the oil to go BACK into the can.If there is pressure in the case, the oil will find its way to the can regardless of placement.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get another can. Tap two good sized ports onto the front of the valve cover. Route the lines to another can. This SHOULD eliminate your problem. If not something is wrong. Go ahead and do a compression test as well. Dont worry about it just yet though

Quick Reply: Need help. Massive oil loss due to? (from crank case breather)