Notices

Need help deciding turbo, SC50 or Holset WH1C/HX35

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding turbo, SC50 or Holset WH1C/HX35

Ok, guys as the title says, i need your help/input deciding on a turbo.
currently, i have the sc5031e ( ar 60/63 5 bolt) on my b16 but looking to upgrade.
i have a holset wh1c(12cm exh) which the same as a hx35 but used a vband to hold comp side. which is good cause you can rotate the comp side an way you want.

car makes about 325 hp on e85 @15 psi on a conservative tune. goal is to make at least 400hp. car is mainly dd in summer. maybe some track time and street drag.
been debating to switch to a ramhorn( sc50) or topmount( holset). i know the holset will be laggy on the topmount, but at least it'll keep me out of trouble.

should i keep the sc50 and go with ramhorn/topmount manifold or holset w/ topmount?
would the sc50 even work on topmount? was thinking of welding a 3" vband to a 5 bolt flange.
i think the inlinepro and sc50 should break the 400hp but don't really want to push 25 psi to get it.
the holset and topmount combo looks cool...i think it should make 400 hp @ 20 psi.

here's my current set up:

99 si head
ferrea valvetrains w/ +1mm valves
sk2 pro1 and gears
oem timming belt
arp head studs
oem hg

b16a block stock bore/sleeve
je 9.5:1 pistons
eagle rods apr bolts
balanced b16 crank
moroso 5.5 qt pan

inline pro ss t3 manifold
tial bov, 44mm wg 14.7 psi
2.75 charge pipe(cold) 2.0 hot side
3" dp not cat, dc sports cbe
greddy intercooler 2.33" in/out
pte sc5031e
pte/rp 880 cc currently scaled down to 800 cc
aem fpr, fuel rail, filter
walbro 255
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Need help deciding turbo, SC50 or Holset WH1C/HX35

Don't even bother with a top mount. You aren't making enough power to need it and it will only make your current setup have more lag

And the h1c is an earlier variant of the hx35 and is nowhere as efficient and doesn't have a ported shroud compressor housing.

If you're really considering going with a holset try to get an he351cw off the later 5.9 trucks. It's basically an hx35 turbine side with a 7 bladed hx40 compressor wheel, it also has an open volute 12cm t3 turbine side. Plus it has a 4" vband outlet so no messing around with goofy flanges and adapters to make a downpipe. The compressor housing also has a cast 90* turn on the outlet which makes running the hotside piping a straight shot off the turbo

Compressor side, that hole was where the oem boost control solenoid was mounted. Everyone plugs it with a freeze plug or some machine an interference fit plug and press it in place. Some will also use the stock solenoid to control boost.. it's a robust solenoid and works just like a gm or mac solenoid and since it's mounted in the compressor housing it keeps your engine bay cleaner, no running lines all over the place to and from a remote solenoid to the wastegate and pressure signal. A lot of times the solenoids are removed from the turbos. You see this a lot of eBay but a few still have them installed or you can source one cheap off eBay

Turbine outlet, as you can see it's a straight shot out of the turbo for both the exhaust wheel and internal gate (which I'm assuming you'll weld over) so all you need is a vband flange and you're done. No dealing with an elbow or wastegate blockoff flange... both of which are stupid expensive compared to welding the flapper shut and buying a vband

Turbine inlet, as you can see it's undivided and 12cm (or 9 if it's off an auto truck iirc) so you get the best of both worlds. The two studs on the flange were used due to the Cummins exhaust manifold design, they come out easily but the other two holes aren't threaded like the two with the studs. Depending on how your manifold flange is this can be good or bad. If you need a blind hole you can simply drill the threads out

Hope I helped you out a bit
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Correction: just confirmed the he351cw has a 9cm turbine housing which is roughly .65a/r to compare it to a more common sizing method

You of course can port the housing to make it slightly larger but it's the perfect size as is for most builds. It's the perfect compromise between fast spool up/transient response and top end mass flow
Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what i read the h1c and wh1c are different turbo. as far as wh1c compare to hx35, it looks exactly the same.

it looks like i'm gonna keep the sc50 and go with a ramhorn manifold.

here's pic of my holset wh1c.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just use the inline pro manifold your only going for 400 why waste the money.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

^basically

The inline pro will support 400hp all day long and is a very efficient design. Not to mention the cast design and shorter runners means less heat loss and faster moving exhaust gasses. All of which means faster spool up/transient response which means more power and torque down low and basically everywhere. If you ceramic coated the manifold and your turbine housing the results would be even greater
Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, the inline pro should support 400 hp. i guess just want to upgrade to something different. something with a little more bling.

i guess i'll try increasing more boost and be a little more aggressive on the tune.
i want about 350 hp for street/dd and 400hp for track/drag. i'm considering a dual stage boost controller that i can switch whenever i want.

would i need 2 separate tune for low/high boost? or can i just use a mbc and adjusted as needed. i have a turbosmart in-cabin mbc and would like to use that.

btw, ems is s300 w/ bbg installed.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Why not have the s300 do boost control?

You could tune for high boost then just turn the boost down. It will however run rich as ****. I would suggest two tunes. But you need to be able to swap maps on the fly when you raise the boost
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just leave it at 400, pump gas all day long and you have the power when you need it. Put boost by gear and you'll have traction too
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost

You could tune for high boost then just turn the boost down. It will however run rich as ****. I would suggest two tunes. But you need to be able to swap maps on the fly when you raise the boost
yeah, that's the thing with 2 tune. be able to switch tune on the fly. anyway
of doing that on s300 without having to use the laptop to load map/tune?

so, my tune is set for 15psi. if i increase boost to 20 psi, then it'll run a little lean?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Just leave it at 400, pump gas all day long and you have the power when you need it. Put boost by gear and you'll have traction too
if there's no way of switching tune/boost on the fly. i might considered going bbg at higher boost level. 20-22 psi.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It wouldnt need two tunes you just tune it up to your maximum power level you want to achieve and then set it up boost by gear or two different boost setting on a switch BUT boost by gear is going to be your friend vs trying to put down all the power in ever gear
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost

No it won't. You can tune high boost on the race fuel and turn it down when on 93 octane without going "too rich" in lower boost.

What do you think Supras do? They don't "switch maps".

Some people ( myself included) may want to control things themselves without a damn laptop and complexity.

InlinePro is fine for 400whp . Dual stage is fine. It's worked and continued to work.

Sometimes I truly wish this forum would stop having such codependency with that company. It's cool and all, but some types just don't want the laptop doing the thinking for them.

But I have my reasons.. I won't poison others with my rhetoric today. Carry on.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I was assuming he would stay on e85, negating the need for race fuel. While he could tune for the higher boost level like you said he would run rich at the lower setting. While the s300 might not support on the fly map changes many ems systems do, some as simple as using a rotary potentiometer to change maps
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

And if you're resourceful like some people. They actually run a carpc so they can datalog/stay connected to their ems fulltime. It's actually rather clever when you consider the advantages, not to mention the onboard media resources... because if you're like me you've grown to hate traditional radio and listen to Pandora or mp3s on your phone all the time
Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the replies. i will stay with e85 on all tunes/boost. it looks like my best option is bbg. but i dunno yet. might just get two tunes and switch back n forth.

is 880cc injectors enough for 400 hp or would i need to bump to 1000cc?
would the power again be significant enough to switch to a ramhorn?
would it be safe if i turn up the boost like say 20psi when my tune is for 15psi?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You can't up the boost without a retune. It's just not safe and you risk significant engine damage by doing so

You won't need a ramhorn, people have made gobs of power with a simple inline pro manifold setup. If you're looking to make as much power at a given boost level and want your setup to be as efficient as possible then I would suggest gasket matching the turbo manifold on both the head and turbo side. I would do the same with the intake manifold. The gains won't be huge but every little thing helps when making the most of a given setup

The s300 won't do on the fly map changes iirc. You'd need to shut down the car, flash the new map and start it back up.. making sure the new map has the proper boost level setup and that the boost control tables are tuned for the higher boost pressure (this is only if you plan on adding a mac solenoid or a similar solenoid and want the s300 to control boost pressure/bbg) the s300 can't do bbg if you don't have a solenoid installed and are still using the mbc. The two won't work at the same time

As for the injectors I'm not 100% as I don't run e85 due to it's unavailability near me... but I would rather have too much injector than too little. I'd go with the 1000s... it will give you a bigger safety margin when tuning and might allow you to run a little bit more power down the road if you decide to up the boost a bit
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for now, i think i'm gonna go with bbg and around 20-22 psi. will go to ramhorn...what the heck.
turbo, not sure yet. i'd like to keep the sc50 but i read somewhere on h/t that this turbo is efficient to about 360 hp then kinda of ran out of breath even thought it's rated for 420 whp.

kind of thinking of going to a gt30 or pte 5857/8 but with budget in mind too. with that being said, there's a sc6076 for sale here. was thinking of getting it. would that turbo a good fit for my set up?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S300 has secondary mapping so you can change maps on the fly. My street car is similar to a setup your talking about hx35, topmount, lsvtec, stock exhaust with a cutout. I push one button to open the cutout and when I do it opens the cutout of course, switches to a secondary map, switches from my low boost(8psi) to my high boost(25psi) table, and the ecu starts onboard datalogging. The car has a wideband that stays on it so I can keep in check with my tune and just pull the log from the ecu later when I get time to adjust the tune. That way I don't have to have a laptop hooked up everytime I want to do a pull to tune the car.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

That's great info. I haven't had a chance to really look over the s300 and its features. Mostly due to me using an aem ems but I like to be up to date on other options and alternatives
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsturbo33
S300 has secondary mapping so you can change maps on the fly. My street car is similar to a setup your talking about hx35, topmount, lsvtec, stock exhaust with a cutout. I push one button to open the cutout and when I do it opens the cutout of course, switches to a secondary map, switches from my low boost(8psi) to my high boost(25psi) table, and the ecu starts onboard datalogging. The car has a wideband that stays on it so I can keep in check with my tune and just pull the log from the ecu later when I get time to adjust the tune. That way I don't have to have a laptop hooked up everytime I want to do a pull to tune the car.
great info also. how do you wire/hook up for change maps on the fly?
thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called secondary mapping. In the Smanager you open up the box for it and select the input your going to use. Wire up a switch or whatever your using to that one input so you can toggle back and forth. I wired one wire from the brain of my cutout that has 0v with cutout closed and 5v when cutout is open to the input on the ecu.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a holset hx35 Fs if ur interested! Pm me.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WAUKEENEM1
great info also. how do you wire/hook up for change maps on the fly?
thanks
A simple toggle switch that taps into one of the available inputs/outputs in S300 and goes to ground
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked the analog/digital inputs in smanager and it says only available on v2.
i have v1 btw.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding turbo, SC50 or Holset WH1C/HX35