Notices

Need help, car wont start after pulling top 2 distributor cap wires..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, car wont start after pulling top 2 distributor cap wires..

Sup guys,

got a little problem. My father tried to replace a cooling fan on my car( my old car actually) today and managed to lock the keys in the car with the car running. So to shut it off he pulled the top 2 wires off of the distributor cap. Not the individual spark plug wires but the ones feeding the cap im guessing. Im across the country and cant see it to describe it, nor do i have my manual with me. Anyways after reattaching the wires, gettin the car slim jimmed, the car will not start. Alarm has been turned off so its not the starter kill. I had them check all the fuses and no go. It tries to crank but will not turn over. He says the wires were put back in the correct location, im guessing he got that right.

So, what else should he be checking? plugs? cap? coils? what can go wrong by pulling the wires off the cap with the car running?

thanks for the help guys. appreciate it.

SenekaGSR
oldskoolmember
Old 10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Need help, car wont start after pulling top 2 distributor cap wires.. (SenekaGSR)

i did something similar and it fried the coil. i would replace the coil.

my original coil was intermittent and tested OK the 1st time i checked it.

but first, check for spark with a timing gun.

and shoot your dad
Old 10-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help, car wont start after pulling top 2 distributor cap wires.. (SenekaGSR)

good idea on the timing gun, ill have him check that. If it is the coil(s), how much is that gonna run me around hehe. '

SenekaGSR
Old 10-21-2003, 04:32 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

i dunno look it up!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait go back to your orginal post when you said "It tries to crank but will not turn over. " Are you saying the engine will not crank over ie battery dead or not getting enough juice to crank the motor?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help, car wont start after pulling top 2 distributor cap wires.. (underpressure02)

hey guys, I just got back from college and started to work on the car. It has no spark going to the plug wires ( checked with timing gun). Also my father pulled both top plug wires with the car running for anyone not understanding. I checked everything in the distributor going through the steps in the helms manual and everything checked out okay. I changed the ICM out and the car still doesnt start. The fuses are all checked out and everything else electrical works fine. It sounds like it wants to start but just doesnt.

Any ideas?

Also would a starter kill from an alarm have any effect? The starter seems to be working though. Just not getting any spark. I also checked plug wires and plugs.

Help me! heh

ADrian
Old 12-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the coil, not the ICM. The ICM is the ignitor