Notices

Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 10:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe??

Well, I rebuilt the motor 1500 miles ago and put an action 2MD clutch in and it came with a new pilot and throwout bearing so I replaced both of those. Resurfaced my flywheel and put everything on properly. Put redline fluid in it.

Now, just today, I noticed that I was low on tranny fluid and put some more in. Seems to shift a bit more smoothly but I noticed a sound coming from the transmission. It is just a pretty bad scratching sound, audible at idle, but when I depress the clutch, the sound goes away. Then, while driving, it seems to make the noise when accelerating in gear, but when I put the clutch down to change gears, the sound goes away. Now, I had a quaife LSD installed from an acura tech and a new third gear synchro.

Could it be from the actual internals?? Or could it be that I ran it with low fluid which caused something to go bad? Maybe I got a shitty throwout bearing? Please help guys, I am still trying to piece together my turbo kit and make 400whp and now this happens...there always seems to be a bump in the road huh. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (IntegD)

If it goes away when you press on the clutch pedal then it it is not the throwout bearing. If you can hear it at idle when it is out of gear and the clutch isn't pressed down most likely it is the input shaft bearing in the tranny. IMO
Old 01-12-2003, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (turbohonda)

sounds like the differential bearings or more commonly the countershaft bearings. Did your acura tech replace the bearings, i normally spin them and see how they sounds and feel and sometimes you can reuse them. I wouldnt reuse a dif bearing though, unless it slipped off with out using a press.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:49 AM
New User

Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (boosted3g)

Is there anyway to tell other than just yanking my tranny off and taking the casing off? I go to school four days a week and work the other three and can't really afford a lot of down time right now since the semester just started. I know for sure the tech put on a new bearing(one he pressed off and we got a new one and the other one came off and we reused that one). Any other suggestions?
Old 01-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (IntegD)

I am having this EXACT problem with my ZC tranny. Only I would describe the sounds I have as a loud "metallic wobble."

Everyone who I have talked to (about 5 people) who are all very knowledgeable about tranny's, have said its the input shaft bearing.

Now what I want to know is.....

What causes this bearing to go bad? It seems like everyone who has this problem JUST INSTALLED SOMETHING in the tranny. IE, new clutch, LSD, rebuild...ect. I wonder if It has something to do about how we put the tranny back on the engine...............?

Help....
Old 01-12-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (Bryson)

We have this EXACT same problem on our civic (D16Y7 with matching tranny).....so it's the input shaft bearing? It very well may be something to do with reattaching the tranny, because our problem started after putting in a new disc for the clutch (other one got roasted).....hmmmmmm
Brian
Old 01-12-2003, 10:16 PM
New User

Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (Firedrake)

Are you guys driving your cars around daily? I dont have a beater and I have to drive the civic everywhere I go. I am going to take the tranny off thursday night and get it checked by the techs on Friday. I swear to god if its the last thing I do, I will learn how to work on trannys.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 AM

Sounds like a bearing on the input shaft, If it was low on oil where did the oil go? do you see a leak? If no leak then wasn't full and this lead to the bearing failure?
Charlie
Old 01-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need Help ASAP. Having some crazy sounds from my tranny..throwout bearing maybe?? (Bryson)

I am having this EXACT problem with my ZC tranny. Only I would describe the sounds I have as a loud "metallic wobble."

Everyone who I have talked to (about 5 people) who are all very knowledgeable about tranny's, have said its the input shaft bearing.

Now what I want to know is.....

What causes this bearing to go bad? It seems like everyone who has this problem JUST INSTALLED SOMETHING in the tranny. IE, new clutch, LSD, rebuild...ect. I wonder if It has something to do about how we put the tranny back on the engine...............?

Help....
Anyone with anything?