Notices

Need heat protection under the hood..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need heat protection under the hood..

I've gotta find some kind of heat protection for my underhood components, particularly the A/C lines. The guy who fixed my A/C yesterday told me the high head from the turbine (right next to the compressor) will cause the compressor to go bad soon.. can't have that here in Miami. Anybody know of any good protection for it and for my A/C lines going to the condensor? Particularly where I can find them
Old 05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (VTC_CiViC)

thermowrap tape works good and is thin. you can bend some of your AC lines away from the turbo a bit, also consider moving rad towards support a little closer, really easy to do and you get an extra 1/4" of breathing room. the AC lines will move with it. just cut your top rad brackets so that it will be closer and reattach.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Header wrap? hehe....you say the post that went up a couple of days ago right? Sorry, had to say it..
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (93LSivic)

What about that turbine wrap that I've seen advertised... it is some kind of heat wrap (maybe thermowrap ?) This designed to wrap over the exhaust turbine housing only. It reduces underhood temps by concentrating the heat in one place... that supposedly helps with spool up as well, but I don't know if it will affect shaft performance in the long run.

You could also consider fabricatiing a heat shield. (I want to do this as well for other reasons) Get some aluminum sheeting from Home Depot and make it either for the turbo/manifold or the A/C compressor housing itself. ** Lemme know if you want to do it... I'll be down to help one these days.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (X2BOARD)

Well I'm gonna look into the therotape (where do you guys pick this up? Summit I assume?), and I'm going to *attempt* to fab a headsheild from a roll of thin aluminium I have in my garage.. thanks
Old 05-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what I used on mine....Arturbo took that pic when he was using my car for the design of the 3" DP...

I bought it a local performance supply, it cost about 5 bucks per foot...I also used it on my oil return lines, since it's in direct downflow path of the dumptube...

it's a plastic like material on the outside and a feather like lining...

works like a charm, it can withstand a lot of heat....
Old 05-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (Flamenco-t)

I was thinking also of maybe wrapping the lines in aluminum foil, then with a radiator hose to sheild heat.. might work.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PLEASE HELP!

i know this thread is old but i'd rather not start another new thread...

right now i have a 94 accord. i just got a turbo kit installed and now i'm having heat problems... when my car is moving the stock temp guage is almost normal and when i'm idling, the temp needle goes up! it goes a little past half way mark!

do all of your turbo cars do that? what can i do to keep the temp to stay BELOW half way mark?? could it be a broken thermostat?? my fan still runs when it's hot... right now i have 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic oil and my coolant level is at max... also the shop rewired my fan so it turns on after i turn off the car... please help! thanks...

here's a picture of my setup: if you need any more pictures to solve my problem please let me know! thanks!!

[Modified by accordfreak, 1:02 AM 7/2/2002]
Old 07-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (accordfreak)

Something worries me about your shop. You should not have rewire your fans to come on when the engine is hot. They already do that from the factory so if they said they did something, they either are lieing or did something that wasn't necessary-at least from what I'm interpreting.

As far you're prob it could be a number of things of which I won't pretend to know all of but will profer some help. What you described sounds like fans aren't coming on, but you say they are coming on. Make sure of this. Your shop makes me worry about this. Also make sure your not losing any coolant pressure (ie a leak in the coolant system).

HTH

[Modified by bruthaboost, 5:41 PM 7/1/2002]
Old 07-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've gotta find some kind of heat protection for my underhood components, particularly the A/C lines. The guy who fixed my A/C yesterday told me the high head from the turbine (right next to the compressor) will cause the compressor to go bad soon.. can't have that here in Miami. Anybody know of any good protection for it and for my A/C lines going to the condensor? Particularly where I can find them

You might also want to try going to a heating/ac place... they sell this thermo reflective tape that might work.. Im sure they could tell you if its what you need or not
Old 07-01-2002, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (Flamenco-NA)

I use the same stuff, i wish i had it before the turbo burned a hole through my upper a/c line. it freaked the **** outta me when the ****** blew. as far as the engine overheating, i recommend replacing the thermostat, you dont have any coolant in your oil do you?
Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (GudeH23a)

does anyone ever look at my threads!!??

i had the same problem. you can buy a roll of this **** at lowes for 4 bucks. i used 2 rolls. it has sticky insulation and then aluminum on the outside. works great.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:42 PM
New User

Check out http://www.Thermotec.com. All kinds of insulating goodies there.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Need heat protection under the hood.. (accordfreak)

PLEASE HELP!

i know this thread is old but i'd rather not start another new thread...

right now i have a 94 accord. i just got a turbo kit installed and now i'm having heat problems... when my car is moving the stock temp guage is almost normal and when i'm idling, the temp needle goes up! it goes a little past half way mark!

do all of your turbo cars do that? what can i do to keep the temp to stay BELOW half way mark?? could it be a broken thermostat?? my fan still runs when it's hot... right now i have 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic oil and my coolant level is at max... also the shop rewired my fan so it turns on after i turn off the car... please help! thanks...

here's a picture of my setup: if you need any more pictures to solve my problem please let me know! thanks!!

[Modified by accordfreak, 1:02 AM 7/2/2002]
try bleeding your coolant. sounds to me like you have air bubbles in the coolant. and yes, the "shop" ripped you a good one when they told you that they re-wired the fans to come on after you turned off your car.