Notices

need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient

A neighbor kid has a friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer. The young man is only 18 yrs old, and a patient at a Hospice facility just 2 miles from my shop. Since his friends have provided just about everything necessary to boost the 98 Civic EX, I've decided to perform the installation free of charge and then park the car just outside the hospital room window
My background is in Mitsubishi and Toyota. in fact this is only the second Honda I've ever turned a wrench on.
What appears to be missing, is a means to control the setup that will be installed this weekend.
I'm hoping to hear some advice on what to use to get the system up and running.
An emanage, maf translator or an SAFC2 is what I would typically use for a basic streetable turbo upgrade.
What do you guys suggest I use?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
i ♥ snails

a chipped ecu so your cancer patient doesnt feel like **** when his engine takes a dump. What turbo?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

As far as management goes, i would convert it to OBDI and get the ecu chipped with a basemap on either crome or uber data and then get the car tuned.

Can you provide more specs on the build? BTW, i think that the very fact you are doing this for him is great! Just make sure it gets tuned properly, and there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (90sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as management goes, i would convert it to OBDI and get the ecu chipped with a basemap on either crome or uber data and then get the car tuned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, and since you're in Florida, you don't have to worry about emissions.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (bottlefedtwinz)

that is an awesome thing for you to do with the help of the friends and family

i agree, go with a chipped ecu with a freeware like crome, you may be able to find someone in florida willing to contribute their time to tune it for this cause.

post up some more specs of this if you could.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (ridin98civic)

I cant get my own stuff together sometimes, and i couldnt imagine doing it for some else, thats awsome.

With out a chipped ECU, u might aswell not even do it, its gonna cost much more to fix the blown engine even if its only a Z6.

U should create a whole nother thread telling the story along w/ pics, that would be an intresting read for sure.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (93supercoupe)

A cheaper but reliable method as stated above would be to pick up a P28 ecu, not sure what model vehicle that comes off of but its Honda's version of OBD1. You will then need an obd2b conversion harness. Also, you will need aftermarket obd1 injectors as well. Then get a basemap created with Crome (freeware) based on the setup and get it tuned.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (93supercoupe)

Contact CFT and see if they will donate time. http://www.tunedbycft.com
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (bootlegcivic)

thanks so much for the advice! The car should be here tonight or tomorrow so I can get busy turning the wrenches. I'll send out a couple messages and do some homework later tonight.
-I have two teenagers of my own, btw... It's absolutely devestating to see someone so young struck by such a horrible disease. If this project does nothing more than brighten this kid's day, it's completely worth my time and efforts...

The turbo is allegedly a T04B. but I won't know exactly what I'm dealing with until they arrive with it

I'll post up the progress as it happens
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (bottlefedtwinz)

What I've got is a To4e snail @.50ar, and a carload (no pun intended) "XS" turbo gear. ebay kit? I have XS external gate, XS RFL BOV, XS FMIC, you name it... if it's turbo related and here, it probably came out of a XS box!

In any case, the manifold, turbo and exhaust is almost fitted on, except I am having doubts as to whether this kit was intended to allow the air conditioning system to remain?

There is a harness and computer included with the kit, but no names are stamped, only a barcode. same for the injectors, 4 brand spankin new nameless, with only 2 numbers printed on. I'll try to get some pics up. If anyones willing, I might need some help posting on here, due to the fact that I read something about being limited to a minimal amount of posts for new register-ee's. my email address is bottlefedtwins@yahoo.com. if anyone with unlimited posting privileges can help, drop me a message. I have a feeling I might need more help from you guys than 4-5 posts a day would allow!
I've messaged Central Florida Turbo, both via phone and by email. hopefully they'll be willing to help tune the car once I have everything installed and ready.
I'm actually located in Bonita Springs, in case there are any members closeby and affluent on all things HONDA
any help/suport is greatfully welcomed
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 PM

thats a really nice thing for you to do. if you ahev any questions feel free to email me at xelement99x@yahoo.com i will try to answer any questions you may have or at least relay them to the guys on this site. im sure everyone on this site would be very willing to lend a hand. if i were closer i would like to be in there turning wrenches myself. good luck man and keep us updated!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 PM

the turbo didnt come out of an xs box did it?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (ridin98civic)

Wish i was closer, i would come out and help you out in person But since thats not going to happen. If you have any questions feel free to email questions, you can also email pics if you need me to host them for you. pcourtley00@yahoo.com.

More than likely you will need to get rid of the AC, i've never actually tried any of the xs stuff, but its always a real tight fit anyways.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Here are the issues I'm having:
-turbo doesn't "feel" like it fits correctly to the cast manifold. the manifold was in a box labeled "Yonaka Motorsports" from a shipper called StreetImports in Ogdensburg, NY
It almost seems like it needs a spacer or possibly an angled spacer to mount it.
-The downpipe doesn't fit the turbo. a spacer might solve this, although it may need to be cut close to the turbo outlet flange so that the flange can be clocked back a bit
-wastegate location on the manifold has me confused.
there's a tube with WG flanges on both ends that is approx. 45 deg. bend and twisted. cant get the gate to fit under the hood without mounting it directly on the manifold (heat ) even if that were done, the flanged tube doesn't help much, as this will be shitting fire when the gate discharges. since there is no recirc fitting on the downpipe, I presume I'll have to fabricate a usable open dump tube. I'd like to know if I'm having a brain-fart here, as I can't imagine why the gate should be mounted directly on a cast iron manifold.
-The FMIC included looks incredibly small to me compared to what we use on 3/s's and modded DSM's, in any case, the only I see to fit this is by trimming the bumper cover inserts out. I expect this is normal, but reassurance would be nice.
-there's ONE 02 bung on top of the DP, it places the sensor in disagreement with CV half-shaft. there was one 02 in the original downpipe, and another at the exhaust close to the (1st muffler, cat?, -it looks like a glasspack, and the new exhaust has one too)
does one of the 02's get eliminated, or do I need to weld in a bung and keep both? where should it/they be?
-I can't see how an a/c system could possibly stay in the car. many of the kits I find that look similar delete the A/C, I'd like to know for sure, since if there's a reasonable way to get A/C back in the car with the turbo, I'll be all over it.
(the hypothalamus gland commonly fail in cancer patients, and if the kid can get out to drive the **** out of this car once we're done with it, I'd like for it to be as lasting and enjoyable for him as possible)
here's the ecu/piggy
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...5.jpg
there's a wiring harness /adapter that goes with this
I'd like to know what it is, and what it will allow for. since there's new injectors included, I would hope this allows for a means to control them
if you look at the pic of the exhaust sections in the last pic, you can see 'm missing the part that is 3 bolt on one end and 2 bolt flange on the other, hopefully they forgot to bring it over, otherwise I either need to find another, or fabricate. does this look remotely common to anything readily available?

Once again, your assistance is greatly appreciated
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...8.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...6.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...2.jpg
Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 AM

the harness u have is a conversion harness to convert from obd2 to obd1...the ecu i see in the background is a stock ecu that has prob been chipped and socketed if u open it up and post a pic ill let u know what it is...more then likely its a chipped p28 which means tuning should be a breeze with a free based software like crome or uber-data....for the o2 use the one closest to the stock location...it prob has a second one for a wideband install...just cap it off...and if u post pics of the manifold and wastegate ect ill try to help u out there..it is possible that the wastegate goes directly on the manifold
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (fast4imports)

the exhaust part "missing" of course was the 1st cat. the 2nd cat (as seen in the pics) was included with the new exhaust system.
Is there any reason I should use ANY catalytic converters? Again, we're located in Florida, and there are no emissions issues to deal with. I have never used cats on a DSM or a 3/s (or BMW, Subaru, Lotus or any other Force fed car I've modded)
If there's a reason to keep them on this Honda, please advise. I have a 3" Borla that I'm eyeballing as a possible contributer to this project. -a little cut-cut-weld-weld and we'll have something that flows a hell of a lot better than a 115,000 mile choked up stock cat

The gate is a 50mm, and I can see no other way to mount it, than directly to the manifold. I'd prefer it be piped away a short distance to shield it from the heat, but I do see quite a few pics of other turbo'd civics and acuras with the WG directly on the manifold.
if anyone disagrees, please chime in

GOOD NEWS!
CARLOS, from CENTRAL FLORIDA TURBO<U></U> messaged and called, and they have offered to dynotune the car free of charge. we're awaiting an appointment which should be made as soon as they get back to us. we're leaving the stock injectors/ecu in until we get the car up to Orlando at Carlos's direction.
CFT has a webcam on their dyno, so Fino will be able to watch from his hospital room as CFT dyno tunes the car (which I just found out is a 1997, not a '98)
-late

another question, the breather tube from the valve cover, and the air temp sensor... there was only rubber grommets through which these were installed in the AEM intake pipe that WAS on the car. Will thes hold up under forced induction? I'm guessing the new IC intake might need to be tapped/threaded to prevent blowing the pipe/sensor out under boost. what's typically done here, and for the oil send and return, where exactly do I tap? I have an oil pan gasket and hardware to go pickup, so I'll check back shortly.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (bottlefedtwinz)

as far as the valve cover/crankcase ventilation don't run it to the charge pipe. either leave it open to atmosphere or route it to the intake pipe pre-turbo. for the iat, a rubber grommet should work, if need be get a smaller one from home depot and just stuff it in there real tight.

oil return needs to be installed high up on the oil pan preferably right below a stud.

for oil feed i have a tuner toys block fitting that goes where the factory dummy light sensor is, and has 2 1/8 npt ports. if you will be able to use it i will send it to you as a donation. the factory sensor is right above the oil filter.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (ridin98civic)

man of the hour
http://i207.photobucket.com/al...0.jpg

Your offer is most appreciated, I'll send you the shipping address via PM

Also, if anyone has any gauges/pillar pod/mounting cups, we could use some gauges for the car. I was given absolutely nothing as far as gauges go. (Boost and oil pressure especially)
I ran out to the Imokalee Drag Strip tonight, where I met a shop owner that's offered to pitch in. Also, Mike in LaBelle, who seems to be the token Honda guru extraordinaire He has also offered to rally up some help to get this done and on it's way to Orlando for tweaking.

The racetrack owner, Ralph, offered to hold a benefit one Friday in December.
If anyone wants to contribute anything, I can pm you contact info to Fino's family/the drag strip/what have you...

Thanks for the support here on Honda-Tech, goes without saying!

As of tonight, I have quite a bit more buttoned up. the turbo is in, WG installed, FMIC and TB side pipes/BOV are done. The downpipe had to be cut (in several places) and modified. A 3si.org friend bought a section only out of a TT 3000gt/Stealth Borla exhaust that I had listed in the classifieds prior to getting into this project. -A win for him because that's all he needed, and a win for me because I could justify cannabilizing some of the 3" stainless for use on the Civic

where I'm hung up at tonight, is where to run the compressor side of the IC piping?
specifically, how should this turbo be clocked?
I've been trying to pipe in with the outlet DOWN, this is presenting a few obstacles. If it should be clocked up, please advise.
Next, I have a stock TT 3/S fuel pump. We 3/s guys sell these all the time, so I'm presuming that it can be used on the Civic? Can anyone direct me what to do here? As I strongly doubt the stock fuel pump will be up to the task of feeding this engine.
Those who said "P28" on the ECU were right, that's exactly what Carlos at CFT identified it as, and will be chipping it just like some of you had suggested.

For tapping into the oilpan, my new oilpan gaskets will be here in the morning. I have a 2-bolt turbo drain adapter, threaded to barb fittings, hose/clamps, but unless this is intended to be actually tapped into the oil pan and threaded, I haven't discovered the drain end adapter to use here. Our Mitsubishi's (yes, the Dodge Stealth is entirely Mitsubishi, right down to the "Dodge" emblems )
use a 2-bolt adapter type fitting that bolts to the factory oilpan location designed for it. I was expecting to see something similar here? any thoughts?
ridin98civic's block fitting will get the oil fed to the send lines and I have plenty of fittings adapters to make the SS supply line work. I presume that block fitting should be used to tap an oil pressure sender, right?
I'm beat for tonight, and tomorrow's a big day.
TTYL

Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Hmmm, gues I can't send private messages here. My email address is bottlefedtwins@yahoo.com message me, ridin98civic, so that I can give you our contact information. thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

e-mailed you,

what size feed line was supplied? may want to run an oil restrictor as well

Modified by ridin98civic at 2:23 AM 10/13/2007
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 AM

for the oil pan drainback i used a barbed fitting and drilled a hole in the oil pan (higher than the oil level) that was a snug fit on the barbed fitting. thread in the fitting using jb kwik weld to seal it up.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bottlefedtwinz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An emanage, maf translator or an SAFC2 is what I would typically use for a basic streetable turbo upgrade.
What do you guys suggest I use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First you have to realize those Hondas are speed-density (MAP sensors), and have a plethora of options for 'chipping' the obd1 ecu's that come in 92-95 civics. A conversion harness for ~$120, ecu for ~$50-120, and anywhere from $50-1000 for an EMS. Also be aware that JUST the chip (the basemap) will not be enough, as Honda ecu's can't 'learn' the setup, as they ignore the oxygen sensor during heavy loads. The fuel/ignition maps must be tuned individually.

As far as the parts, if the turbo and manifold are 'XS Turbo' parts, well your patient won't want to live after the turbo takes a **** and the manifold cracks like an eggshell. You NEEEED to run an oil restrictor for that turbo or it won't last a day, and the manifold will require lots of extra bracing and support so the turbo's weight won't crack it. I've personally worked on a car in which the 'Turbo XS' manifold's wastegate flange ripped off, causing the TiAl WG to put a hole in the oil pan before the road destroyed the WG. The reason the parts don't fit is because they were meant to look good on ebay - thats about it. If you look closely at the welds, they will usually be MIG welds that were gone over with a TIG just to look pretty.

for helping the unfortunate, just don't become another unfortunate victum of bad ebay parts.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: need advice, turbocharging civic for cancer patient (HiProfile)

any updates on this? pics? sent that fitting to you