Notices

need advice on turbo4 transmission

Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice on turbo4 transmission

i just broke my type r transmission today and need advice on which route to take on the repair.it split the bell housing and broke the ring gear and countershaft gear.obviously,i want to do something that is gonna hold up,but i can't spend a fortune on it.i have a quaife already for the type r tranny and didn't want to change it if posible.i have a friend that has a 99 b16 tranny that has just a bad diff and was wondering what parts i could salvage from it that could interchange.i wouldn't mind changing to gsr gears since the type r is so steep as well.just never broke a tranny before and never looked into it.also,this car will be driven on the street,so i really don't want to eliminate 5th gear if possible. thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (turbotypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a quaife already for the type r tranny and didn't want to change it if posible.i have a friend that has a 99 b16 tranny that has just a bad diff and was wondering what parts i could salvage from it that could interchange thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

the type-r and b16 gear set is the same gear set, use the itr quife, just need a ring gear from a gsr (usdm and gsr "share" the same ring gear) not sure on diff bearings, but i know they are interchangeable as well. if you use the tappered bearing you just need to knock the races out of the case and put them in the new case, you will need to buy new bearing from the dealer...to use the cartridge bearing knock them off the b16 diff, and put them on the quaife. i have been able to get the b16/ls bearings off the diff and re-use them, but have had no luck with the gsr tappered style bearing.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (Dturbocivic)

so i can use the whole counter shaft and gear set as well as the case?then just get a new ring gear from a gsr or type r?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe go with a LS final drive if you need a bit more gearing. I know that is something I am considering too.

OT: what did you car go through the traps in 4th at with the 235/60/15's
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i can use the whole counter shaft and gear set as well as the case?then just get a new ring gear from a gsr or type r?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes sir. and like my other post, you can swap bearings between the diffs/cases. so which ever bearing you want to run.......
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (BoostR41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe go with a LS final drive if you need a bit more gearing. I know that is something I am considering too.

OT: what did you car go through the traps in 4th at with the 235/60/15's</TD></TR></TABLE>
i really like the way the gearinbg worked yesterday.it pulled really good without bogging between gears.i think i am just gonna get the car to rev higher.i am not using the radials anymore.i was using 25" m&h.it went 136mph and was hitting the rev limiterat 9000rpm when i crossed the finish line

"yes sir. and like my other post, you can swap bearings between the diffs/cases. so which ever bearing you want to run......."

cool.i didn't know the gear on the countershaft was the same.i guess now i just need to find a ring gear.what do you think about cryo-treating them?do you think the case split and then the gears broke?if so do i need to get the phantom grip brace that eliminates 5th gear?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
cool.i didn't know the gear on the countershaft was the same.i guess now i just need to find a ring gear.what do you think about cryo-treating them?do you think the case split and then the gears broke?if so do i need to get the phantom grip brace that eliminates 5th gear?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, since they both run the 4.4 final. you can swap the pieces around. i wouldnt waste the money on cryo treatment. did the ring and pinion get "sheared off" did the car break on the launch? if so, that is probably from not preloading the drive train, and the shock of the launch killed it. the phantom grip cradle is a great idea, we are going to put one in the race car trans to see how it works. ive been reading mixed reviews on this piece however. i belive the cradle comes more into play, in 3rd/4th gear, when alot of the power is really being put to the transmission.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it happened when i went to 2nd.i preloaded the clutch like always and it pulled very very hard(1.6 60ft) all the way through first.when i shifted,it broke as soon as the power was laid down.the car was hooking very good and had very good response after shifting. the bell housing has a crack in it and the countershaft gear is completely sheared off and the ring gear has a few broke here and there
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheel hop is not your friend. Thats what killed your tranny.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (mike1114)

sorry dude.there was no wheel hop.the car was hooking like mad with about 600whp and 25" slicks.i am pretty sure the car was on a good 10 sec pass.it ran a 11.14 the pass before with alot of spin and a bad 1/8
Old 11-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it happened when i went to 2nd.i preloaded the clutch like always and it pulled very very hard(1.6 60ft) all the way through first.when i shifted,it broke as soon as the power was laid down.the car was hooking very good and had very good response after shifting. the bell housing has a crack in it and the countershaft gear is completely sheared off and the ring gear has a few broke here and there </TD></TR></TABLE>

how many pass's woudl you say you have on the trans? is it the stock one that came with the itr?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested in this. I am wondering what all the 9 and 10 sec guys run for a tranny. Not as far as b16 GSR or LS but and far as something that holds lots of power
Old 11-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheel hop is not your friend. Thats what killed your tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say the 600whp in a heavy Integra running 25's hooking with a hard 1-2 shift after abusing the tranny for a good amount of time is what killed it
Old 11-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need advice on turbo4 transmission (nsxmatt)

yeah,you are probably right.it is in a hatch now but if i had to guess,i would say it may have as many as 100 passes on it.it is the original tranny,so i guess i got my moneys worth.i just wat to go back with something good.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah,you are probably right.it is in a hatch now but if i had to guess,i would say it may have as many as 100 passes on it.it is the original tranny,so i guess i got my moneys worth.i just wat to go back with something good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im sure all the pass's/ weight of car/ driver error aka "learning curve" put a beating on the stock R trans.

b16 gearset, aftermarket final, with a phantom grip cuff

you might want to look into a circuit worx final drive.
http://www.circuitworx.com
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i looked at circuit worx.that sure is alot of money and i have heard that they still break
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i looked at circuit worx.that sure is alot of money and i have heard that they still break</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have heard that in the past as well. Stephanie Eggum is claiming ~80 pass's on her trans. (same setup as listed above)