Notices

Need Advice on parts for turbo prep

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on parts for turbo prep

Hey guys I'm juggling a b 16 swap or turbo d but cuz of current money situation I'm feeling the d turbo, and I've read lots about the vitara set up bring the compression to 8:1 but I've heard lots of bad things so what aftermarket piston could i run in my d16 that will be able to handle good boost? I've seen arias pistons but they only sell b16a pistons online and I'm not sure if those will fit nicely in my d due to different bore etc. plz help

Last edited by Xanthias; 01-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Advice on parts for turbo prep

IMO, just go with the b swap to make it easier in the long run and more reliable.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem is that the auto wrecker is asking 2200 for a complete b16a3 with trans and ecu axles etc. Thats without labour to swap just the parts so I'll be in 3000 deep installed because I don't have my own place to install it and with that money I can most likely have a nice well done realiable and powerful turbo d with hondata and all, thats my debate at the moment
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Budget and goals. Two things we need before we can even begin to help you.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bad have you heard about Vitaras? Plenty of people at d-series.org run them at 300+whp without any issue. The best part is the $100/set price tag if anything decides to crack/melt
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like your leaning towards the d series so go with that you can still make more than enough power and because of your current money situation
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1-Never heard of ariama pistons
2-if you're constrained by budget then turbo is not for you.
3-Heard what about Vitaras?

IMO you're no where near ready to even consider boosting. Why? This whole sentence.
Originally Posted by Xanthias
so what aftermarket piston could i run in my d16 that will be able to handle good boost?
WTF is "good boost"?
What piston?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ they have a point.. you need to research alot more. If your on a budget then you need to read this link
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-your-dream-car-101-a-3102979/
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking for approximate figures but when I mean good boost im thinking 6 to 8 psi without having to worry about my piston heads having a meltdown as well as rods. Also sorry about the typo i meant arias pistons (http://www.ariaspistons.com/). Basically what I want on my del sol d16z6 is a reliable turbo set up with quality parts that i can trust to last me but still pump around 250 whp. I've done research and I think its possible with an excellent tune and hondata to run a daily driver d16z6 turbo. I want to have a finished project for 5000 bucks. Also to answer to grumblemarc's point, I've read online that vitara pistons are cast and have been known to fail. I don't know whether that is because of too much boost or a poor tune but this is why I ask these questions here to get an answer from somebody that knows what their talking about rather than being told I'm not ready

Last edited by Xanthias; 01-11-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

OP
for starters...PSI IS MEANINGLESS! lets just get that out of the way. if you have searched you would have came across a nice topic that has about 8k in replies that are all about SOHC and turbo setups...just saying. ive been seeing a lot of people saying poor/good tune and too much boost, but nothing about the owner/driver of the car. i mean if the driver doesnt take care of business things will **** up, just being blunt. if you downshift or constantly beat the **** out of your motor it will fail on you. thats why we have repair shops am i right or am i right.

to answer your question:
just get the stock b16 and stay out of the turbo game. i dont think your ready for this...seriously. 5k sounds like enough but for me it wasnt, i had to buy new tires, better suspension, traction bar, bushings, brakes, rotors and a few other odds and ins to help me stop and keep control of the vehicle. with more hp on your vehicle added, the weak points will start to pop up and theyll need attention.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 AM
The Grumpiest

I was looking for approximate figures but when I mean good boost im thinking 6 to 8 psi without having to worry about my piston heads having a meltdown as well as rods. Also sorry about the typo i meant arias pistons (http://www.ariaspistons.com/). Basically what I want on my del sol d16z6 is a reliable turbo set up with quality parts that i can trust to last me but still pump around 250 whp. I've done research and I think its possible with an excellent tune and hondata to run a daily driver d16z6 turbo. I want to have a finished project for 5000 bucks. Also to answer to grumblemarc's point, I've read online that vitara pistons are cast and have been known to fail. I don't know whether that is because of too much boost or a poor tune but this is why I ask these questions here to get an answer from somebody that knows what their talking about rather than being told I'm not ready
All this info should have been in your very first. If you want to appear that you've done a little homework then don't ask the vague questions like you did in the OP.

But still, basing a build on PSI before you have even chosen the turbo kinda shows you're NOT ready to attempt to boost this engine. Seen it too many times.

Come back with a parts list and then we should be able to help you. Then you'll have a much better understanding of what it is you need and answer these very same questions you've posted, yourself. I can tell you now you're not accounting for a lot. For instance, NO one ever mentions the clutch that they'll need to upgrade when they start their builds because they just don't think about all the extras that will add up quickly.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

250 on stock d series internals is like gambling, the stock rods really can't support that much power
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just turbo it who cares ***** gonna blow sooner or later boost or no boost
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 AM
The Grumpiest

I've seen arias pistons but they only sell b16a pistons online and I'm not sure if those will fit nicely in my d due to different bore etc. plz help
This is the other sentence that tells me you don't know what you're talking about and need to do better research.

Also proof that your search-fu is not strong.
http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index....ex&cPath=76_86

Plenty of vendors in the Marketplace that can help you out as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thanks for the tips time to do more research and I'll be back with a parts list and such
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so my ideal set up would be starting at the bottom end, arias 70.5 mm low comp pistons, eagle rods, 450 cc dsm injectors, a garret t3/t04e turbo (ball bearing), t3 turbo manifold (Tubalar), spearco intercooler (FMIC), probably a custom made 3 inch downpipe and hondata ecu... Along with those I'd get a head pnp, install a zex 59300 and a high torque capable exedy clutch, stage 2 or really good street one and a slightly lighter flywheel. This is what i want for parts, as for tuning im researching as much as i can on how much psi translates to power along with tuning with cam and ignition timing etc.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You need a power level desire BEFORE you get all the parts together. Finding out what the limits of the parts you're using are. the injectors (regardless of nitrous) tell me about 300whp is about as much as you can do with it.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea 300 whp is about what I would want up to anyway
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

OP
Psi will never translate to power
NEVER!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Yea 300 whp is about what I would want up to anyway
But you've picked out parts that where 300whp is where the parts are maximized. This is not a good idea as they will be more prone to failure. I'm not saying you need 1000hp capable injectors to make 300whp, but what you're using they are maxxed out before you get started. This is not a safe choice.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by TheShodan
But you've picked out parts that where 300whp is where the parts are maximized. This is not a good idea as they will be more prone to failure. I'm not saying you need 1000hp capable injectors to make 300whp, but what you're using they are maxxed out before you get started. This is not a safe choice.
Co-sign
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Read the FAQ.... don't do anything/order anything/ touch anything until you read them completely
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I'll keep reading and researching before I do any work, I'm not super naive and like to know everything before doing anything