Notices

Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting

I was hitting boost at aroun 14 psi. I think I might have hit a boost spike cuz the Hondata let off the throttle when I was mashing on it. Anyways I hear a pop and I thought the intercooler pipes came loose due to the boost. Also for some strange reason I can hear my turbo spooling up now. Before I can never hear it spool but now all of a sudden I can clearly hear it spool. Sounded like something sucking in air.

So I keep driving till I get home and look under the hood. To my surprise the intercooler pipes are still connected. Check all the other pipes and lines and everything is connected. I did notice a tad bit of oil or grease on corner of the valvecover but I dont remember if it was there or not before it was a very little amount.

Anyone have an idea what the pop was and why I can hear the turbo spooling so loud now? Did I blow something in my engine? If I did wouldnt the car just stop running?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting (Luchini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luchini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounded like something sucking in air. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo's do that
Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting (SpeedingHatch)

are you still getting 14 psi of boost? if not id say you blew a hole in the coupler
Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting (boostedej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedingHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Turbo's do that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously, it just wasnt audible until now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you still getting 14 psi of boost? if not id say you blew a hole in the coupler</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt run it afterwards but the gauges on the way home read about 3.5 psi which his what its normally at under normal driving. What does the coupler do, where is it, and how can I check it?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Luchini]I was hitting boost at aroun 14 psi. I think I might have hit a boost spike cuz the Hondata let off the throttle when I was mashing on it. [QUOTE]

first what the hell are you talking about??

second..if the turbo has a damaged wheel it may sound louder
Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting (D@nnY)

The hondata has a boost cut at around 21 psi. I wasnt looking at the boost gauge the whole time past 10psi so this is the only reason I can think of the hondata interfering like that.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the couplings are the things that hold the intercooler pipes together. like a big silicone hose that connects the pipes. your prolly have a hole in one of those. feel around all the sides of them. check the one right off the turbo too.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of intake/air filter do you have on the turbo. When mine falls off my spool gets louder.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of intake/air filter do you have on the turbo. When mine falls off my spool gets louder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a generic one with a filter. I checked it and all of it seems to be connected still.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdavis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the couplings are the things that hold the intercooler pipes together. like a big silicone hose that connects the pipes. your prolly have a hole in one of those. feel around all the sides of them. check the one right off the turbo too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill check this after my lunch break. Hopefully its this. I didnt know the boost pressure was that great thatd be blow a hole in it. There should only be 3 right? One on the left, one on the right, and the one off the turbo? At least these are the ones I can clearly see just by lifiting up the hood without poking my head around.

oh yea there is no sound coming from the blow off valve so that must mean no boost is getting to that point.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luchini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I might have hit a boost spike cuz the Hondata let off the throttle when I was mashing on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata didn't do anything. What happened was that a coupler let go and you went pig rich. Go that rich and it will feel like you are putting the brakes on, especially after you lose boost.

The reason you could hear the turbo spool all of a sudden is because it was spooling a lot more than before, because there was reduced load on it. My guess is that you have your boost gauge hooked up to the wastegate hose instead of the manifold, so you (and Hondata) are actually seeing more boost than the engine is seeing.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious pop and spool noise when boosting (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hondata didn't do anything. What happened was that a coupler let go and you went pig rich. Go that rich and it will feel like you are putting the brakes on, especially after you lose boost.

The reason you could hear the turbo spool all of a sudden is because it was spooling a lot more than before, because there was reduced load on it. My guess is that you have your boost gauge hooked up to the wastegate hose instead of the manifold, so you (and Hondata) are actually seeing more boost than the engine is seeing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Hopefully my engine is ok ive been running it pretty hard the last few weeks.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I checked the couplings and I found a skinny cut about 2 inches across. Is there a way I could seal it up someway with like tape or something? I dont know where Id find another coupling like that. Not sure if I just walk into autozone or pepboys and theyd have it or if I had to get it from DRAG. Maybe ill take some pics and show you guys where its at just to be sure.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luchini)

thats ghetto, just buy a new coupler. Their only a few bucks
Old 01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedej1)

Lowes or home depot would have it? sorry for all the newb questions im still learning
Old 01-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luchini)

buy some from stealthmode performance, those cheap ones at home cheapo would probably blow up
Old 01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedej1)

i have had the home depot ones. they last a while but i have put holes in them at 15 psi. you can hit up home depot and buy a couple, one for now, and one for when you put another hole in it. they are in the pvc plumbing section.
but you can get a real one from a local performance shop or hit up a BIG truck shop, like 18 wheelers and ****, and you can buy the hose for like $20 a foot and cut to length. they will NEVER blow
Old 01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bdavis)

Cool thanks. You guys made my day ill buy some cheap ones for now until I get back to WA where I actually have a garage to do some work.