Notices

is my turbo bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my turbo bad?

my turbo is litteraly pumping oil out of the outlet port on the cold side, and my vehicle is smoking like a champ. i dissconnected the intake piping from the turbo and ran the motor n/a to see if the smoking would stop. it didn't, but it is not smoking under load. it only smokes when i let off the gas (after getting on it) and when it sits and idles for prolonged periods of time. i am wodering if the seals on the turbo could be bad and letting oil leak out of both the hot and cold side and that is why my car is smoking. i did a compression test on the blok and the am getting even numbers accross the board. compression is ranging from 180 to 200. i really don't think i have a prblem with the block but i want to make sure. the trbo shaft has about an 1/8 of an inch of play amybe a little more. the play is up an down not from side to side. i can't really get a good grip on the impellor to see if it has side to side play, but i don't think it has any. thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the seals are blown, it doesnt mean you will have shaft play though, what type of filter do you have on the turbo?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: (B18 rider)

it is a generic cone filter i am not sure of the brand name. it doesn't appear to be dmaged in any way though. could this be the reason for the selas going out on the turbo that i have?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its a cheap filter like a ractive or that crap its alot hard for the turbo to pull air, thats probly why it blew the seals, or if you use the K&N cleaning kit dont put on the oil, it also make it harder on the turbo,
what make is the tubo?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (B18 rider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its a cheap filter like a ractive or that crap its alot hard for the turbo to pull air, thats probly why it blew the seals, or if you use the K&N cleaning kit dont put on the oil, it also make it harder on the turbo,
what make is the tubo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talking about.... restriction at the inlet hs nothign to do with the seals.... seals blow because of too much oil pressure or an inproper drain line. check both, or coking inside the turbo could have potentially clogged the outlet.

also, taking the charge pipe of then going out for a spin to rape your car is stupid... without restriciton at the outlet the turbo spins without any backpressure ie it spins too fast.. this can cause bearings to fail and the wheels to destroy themselves... please step away from you rcar before you expletive something else up... please