Notices

my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for?

my timing belt broke while driving. i know i have to replace a sensor that the belt tore off. today i took the motor apart and checked the valves...how do i know they are bent? and when they say "bent" is it the stick part or the round part? anything else i should be looking at while my motor is apart? im thinking about buying a blockguard. i CANT afford sleeves right now at all so dont give me "you should do it right the first time blah blah". my pistons look good and no scrathes on stock cylinders but i know my oil level kept going down. where should i inspect for that?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for? (98B00STED)

first is to check for bent valves, then if you find bent valves look at what bent them(piston) make sure it isn't messed up, also if you have bent valves depending on how bad they are you could have messed up a valve guide or two or three.

Valves not closed all the way is the first sign of bent valves, most likely if they are bent you will know. as for losing oil, that sounds like a previous problem that has nothing to do with the timing belt breaking.

I would have the head checked out by someone that knows what they are doing, machine shop etc...no comp test before taking head off? leakdown test before dissasembly?

the stick part (valve stem) is usually what bends....again depending on how severe the bend.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for? (80884)

well the round part sits well with the head and i really dont see any damage. how do they even bend anyway....valves and pistons actually get close enough to make contact? well lets say some are bent...if i were to put a new timing belt on would it run like **** of it wouldnt run at all? its my daily driver so i need this **** running as soon as possible.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for? (98B00STED)

don't just slap on a new timing belt with bent valves, replace bent valves with titanium ones. how old was the timing belt? your car is probably gonna have a couple days of downtime unless you have a set of new valves to replace the old ones already. any damage to the pistons?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98B00STED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"valves and pistons actually get close enough to make contact"</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes piston makes contact with valve, usually 4 valves get bent when they get bent. it is possibly to not have bent valves, but since it is already apart y not have it looked at? other wise you will put it back together, put a belt on and if something is wrong then you will have to take it back apart again. Just fix it now or at least have someone look at it to see if anythign happened. I would say that just put the belt on again only works when it isn't torn apart and I usually do that anyway to take a compression and leak down test before i tear apart the engine.

no sence in replacing stuff that you don't need too either. have someone lok at it then go from there.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: my timing belt broke, took apart my motor..what do i look for? (snailpoweredEK)

****. my timing belt was only 54,xxx old. the suspect is my tensioner. i think it loosened up, causing timing belt to slack, started slapping around and finally broke just before shifting at 6000 rpm.