Notices

My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid)

After extensive research into which engine management setup to go with i finally decided to go with a Speedpro/FAST B2B ECU. I was a little hesitant at first because it didn't have the support of hondata or AEM, and my car is still a daily driver.
First off, i can say the hardest part of using an ECU like the Speedpro is getting a base line map to get the car running. Not necessarily hard, but just a little time consuming. Thanks to Viren for going out of his way to set me up with a base map that got the car running and jason(littlebluecrx & st00pid) for helping me get it to idle. Once the car was running, it was a sinch to start making changes. After about 2 hours of tuning the base startup, base fuel map, and fuel pressure, we got the car to idle at a smooth 1k rpm without any idle control valve. Making changes to the fuel maps couldn't be any easier and the changes are instant. In just a couple hours of driving down straight stretches and reading the wideband, we were able to tune part throttle city driving settings. With the datalogging, it's really easy to make a part throttle or WOT rpm run, analyze it and make chages accordingly. After tuning for part throttle, we started giving it more load and rpms to build boost. Even at a completely untuned 1.4psi the car felt strong. My charge pipes keeping coming loose so i have to wait until tomorrow to pick up some clamps.
The only thing besides the Speedpro that i've used is the Power FC and this is much more simple in my opinion. After a couple hours sitting down with the laptop, all the keys and maps become pretty easy to get used to. Even though most 9 and 10 second race cars use this setup, with the right help and a little engine knowledge i'd recommend the Speedpro setup on a street car.

chris

[Modified by boostaholic, 6:44 AM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-28-2002, 10:26 PM

Default Re: My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid) (boostaholic)

SPEEDPRO By the way, what size injectors are u using? Did u have a hard time adding stuff on the harness that didnt come with it like alternator and others? does ur gauge cluster work and a/c? I recently bought mine but i havent messed with it yet, just wanted to know what complications u encountered so i'll have a heads-up on it. Well tell us when u dyno and how much u put out, peace.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:37 PM

Default Re: My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid) (JiSATSU RaceR)

I'm using 550cc RC's @ 35psi base fuel pressure and a stock Si pump. I have the honda specific wiring harness so install was plug and play. The only thing i had to modify was my distributer plug. The honda harness comes prepped for an OBD1 distributer plug and mine was OBD2. Gauge cluster works, you just have to wire it manually, but that's really easy once you find the right signal wire. I don't have a/c, but i left the main stock engine harness in since the wires for the alternator and VSS are still on there. They just run directly to the battery and fuse box and inside the cabin. Stock ECU is not hooked up so the alternator charges regardless of the ecu being active. I still have to isolate the wires for the alternator and VSS so i can run those seperately and get rid of the stock wiring harness. I've talked to a couple people about running A/C with the Speedpro and it is doable. You'll need to run an IAC valve to compensate for idle changes when the compressor kicks in, but the speedpro can control that.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid) (boostaholic)

Speed Pro (F.A.S.T.) is much bueno!
Old 07-30-2002, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

send me the map thats on your car.. i like to keep records of it...
Old 07-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid) (b18bturbo)

Very nice write up. How much was the speed pro with the harness? Does it have boost control feature or you are still adjusting via some kind of boost controller? I was always interested in speed pro.
EVIL
Old 07-30-2002, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, convert the bank to bank setup to sequential, you'll gain a much nicer mid range torque band.

but, yeah speedpro is incredible. If you need further help, lemme know I tune them pretty good to.

Greg
Old 07-30-2002, 11:39 AM

Default Re: My Speedpro review, many thanks to viren and jason(littlebluecrx/st00pid) (Evil GS-R)

ECU, honda harness, and wideband 02 ran me 1650 shipped. Defnitely worth it. It doesn't have a built in boost control feature, but i'm running an AVCR. If you have any questions about the setup feel free to let me know.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:21 PM

Why you using a 35psi base pressure and not 45? and why you using a stock civic fuel pump?...no money left over for a good fuel pump after buying the Speed Pro set-up.

[Modified by D-Man, 6:40 PM 7/30/2002]