Notices

my sohc zc build: lots of pics!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my sohc zc build: lots of pics!

Well a few of you seemed to show an interest in my build and egged me on to make a thread of it. So here she is.

Car: 94 Civic CX
Motor: SOHC ZC non v-tec
trans: 94 cv tranny

motor mods:
vitaras
probe I-beam rods
ACL race series bearings
custom fit block gaurd
arp head studs
arp rod bolts
o.e.m. oil pump
g.n.b. water pump,
light weight drive pulley
3 layer head gasket
intake manny spacer
S.L.S. mini log
t3 super 60 .63 trim
walboro 255 fuel pump
1000cc precision turbo injectors
EEEEEEEE- bay v-bar intercooler (what? It works really good lol)
greddy type r.s. b.o.v.
2.5" intercooler piping

Motor work:
full rebuild on head
head milled
block was decked? (dunno how on a d-series but he said he did something like it)
rings filed
2 stage hone
block notched for clearance of rods
piston shaved for clearance of rods
rods shave to get into cylinders
full clean and paint
O.E.M. flywheel lightened
full balance

Trans area:
XTD stage 4 unsprung
o.e.m. life time warranty axles (break em, get em for free )
short shifter
urethane bushings on shift linkage

Suspension and Chassis:
ghetto wire tuck
tokiko struts and springs
rear disc conversion (sitting in shed, yet to be installed)
sparco seat and 4 point harness
stage one weight reduction (no taxi duty rocks)
2 inch aluminum radiator with slim line fan
gsr blades for now

Still lots to be done. Will be tuned on neptune on 91 and a 3 bar map. Hoping to pull 400 whp, but I dunno. Kinda doubt it. Still need to do a lot of work, I know. Car was turbo'd for about 3 months on a d15 so in some of the pics of the car it shows it back then. Not much has changed appearance wise. I'm sure I left some stuff out too.

Let me know what you think.

More pics to come. Getting tired. Let me know what you guys think. Some pics are from car with old motor.

Modified by sohczcturbo at 1:20 AM 10/17/2007
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like fun!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no clear and closeup pic of engine bay
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG you did all that in the gravel ?

your hardcore
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (EFbomb)

Damn, I don't know how you do the swap on Gravel...props man.

It's it my eyes or is the BG flush with the block? and they do deck the block, especially when you install a BG they are suposed to line hone it to make sure it's straight again.

Go with the 750's that will be more then about do it for what you want.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mighty137)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mighty137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like fun!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slodel)

looks good buddy, whats up with the holes drilled in pressure plate?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did i miss what turbo you are using?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (LShatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LShatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good buddy, whats up with the holes drilled in pressure plate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

He had his entire rotating assembly balanced including the PP.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

Wow thanks for all the comments guys. This has been a low key operation for me, no body helping or really noticing the work I've done so it really boost my motivation to hear all your comments. Thanks

Originally Posted by LShatchie
looks good buddy, whats up with the holes drilled in pressure plate?
As CRX T-Si said I had the hole rotating assembly balanced and the pressure plate was way way off balance so the Indented holes to balance it. They aren't drilled through and maybe only an 1/8th of an inch deep to keep structural integrity.

Originally Posted by ryan89crx
did i miss what turbo you are using?
No you didnt lol. I was running a t3/t4 .50 ebay special on it with the d15. I liked the pull for only 8 lbs but it lagged tremendously. Wouldn't start seeing boost until about 5k rpm and when it hit it hit super hard, so I think that contributed a lot to the motor going out. Thinking of having the ebay turbo rebuilt with garrett internals so it looks ebay but has garrett qaulity or just fessing up and doing a t3 super 60. I'm leaning towards the t3 super 60 but honestly I'm wondering how long it's going to last on 25 lbs. Any feedback or personal experiences?

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Damn, I don't know how you do the swap on Gravel...props man.

It's it my eyes or is the BG flush with the block? and they do deck the block, especially when you install a BG they are suposed to line hone it to make sure it's straight again.

Go with the 750's that will be more then about do it for what you want.
I had the block gaurd indented into the block so the antifreeze will fill it and use all of the holes rather than those just the ones the head gasket exposes. And the HONE JOB WAS DONE WITH BLOCK GAURD IN THE BLOCK. I am really nervous about it because I heard such bad stories about them but the guy said since I can't resleeve than I should. He really went the extra mile on it. Drilled holes out the but to ensure cooling the spend almost a whole work day just fitting and grinding and fitting and grinding till it was perfect. He told me he stands by it and seeing some of the work he's done I trust him.

I've done about 3 motor swaps on that gravel love. I get a $20 roll of carpet from wall mart and lay it down when I work under the car so It makes it a little more comfortable, but ****, moving a cherry picker with motor on it by myself does suck the big one I have to say. Lucky for me I work for a towing company so I got a tow truck with a boom and winch cable that does all the hard work for me lol

And thanks for the 750's recommendation. I was just unsure since I want it tuned on e85 gasoline if it'd require more fuel to compensate the lower octane.

Originally Posted by EFbomb
OMG you did all that in the gravel ?

your hardcore
LOL! Thanks. Motivated is a good word too. I use a garage occasionally at work and although they don't mind me leaving it in their over night or anything I feel guilty about leaving there in the way of their business but good news is I think I found the house I'ma buy! I'm only 19 so I'm a little scared but I think this is the one I'ma go for. Who'da though driving a tow truck pays so good? lol
Originally Posted by mighty137
looks like fun!!!
Honestly I'm scared of it lol. First motor I've built so part of the reason it takes me so long to do a step is because I like qaudruple check everything on forums and the chelton and haynes manuals are like my bibles now lol.

Originally Posted by ralph11sec
no clear and closeup pic of engine bay
I got more pics coming. Not at home at the moment. Have like 40 or so more pics to put up so I will make sure I either find a good one of the engine bay or take new ones just for you

Thanks for all the comments guys I appreciate them. Nice to see some of my work go appreciated. My two car buddies have boosted mr2's and as much as I love them they are a royal pain to work on (and expsensive!) so I'm usually helping them more than I help myself. And for the record only one that's really helped me with anything was my motor shop guy building the bottom end with me. I ended up paying him to build the bottom end but the catch was he had to teach me how to do it and let me help. So I learned so much thanks to him. I know I have a lot of parts from ebay and what not but I'm trying to figure out a balance between performance and reliability without being a rich (or should I say in debt) name brand *****. I think I've got a decent balanced going though. Hoping to try to drop the motor in the car this weekend so I will keep you guys informed and take plenty of pics. Thanks again for the confidence and motivation boosters
Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scared?? Scared is when u boost and the front end feels like its floating into a telephone pole........till then its fun!!!

Good luck and keep up the progress!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good so far Gravel seperates the diehard from the poser been there done that built 11 second rides on gravel in northern canadian winters
Old 09-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90dxhmt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90dxhmt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking good so far Gravel seperates the diehard from the poser been there done that built 11 second rides on gravel in northern canadian winters </TD></TR></TABLE>
lol thanks and I'm located in colorado so yep, I know exactly what you've been through
Old 09-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: (sohczcturbo)

isnt E85's about 100 octane or higher just an alcohol blend the 85 isnt the actual octane level just thought id throw that out there for ya good luck with that build man im budgeting a turbo build right now not looking for 400hp tho.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Magik123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Magik123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt E85's about 100 octane or higher just an alcohol blend the 85 isnt the actual octane level just thought id throw that out there for ya good luck with that build man im budgeting a turbo build right now not looking for 400hp tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I though it was 85 octane ethanol "corn gas". Some one care to explain? Only reason I like it is A: it's cheaper B: it lets the motor run cooler and C: it's different. But I dunno anything about over 100 octane. Any input?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you built the engine in your kitchen! Are you sure your not an old school redneck?? LOL
Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build how is that xtd stage 4?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bboy_Trevstuh817)

gotcha, looks great
Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Newt Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newt Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like you built the engine in your kitchen! Are you sure your not an old school redneck?? LOL </TD></TR></TABLE>
HEY! Maybe I am... lol. I don't have a garage with my apartment here but I think that might all change. Trying to buy this house and it's got a 2 car over sized stand alone garage in the back yard so no more being white trash yay! lol
Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Be careful washing your car with that vented hood. If that cold water gets to your hot manifold, It could crack it. Happened to a friend of mine
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HarfordCTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HarfordCTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be careful washing your car with that vented hood. If that cold water gets to your hot manifold, It could crack it. Happened to a friend of mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol well aware. Already cracked one from the previous setup on that car. But I learned. I keep a tarp folded up under the passenger seat. Just wait till the motor cools a tid then spead that over the engine bay. I've been raping all the cars in the junk yards of their rubber firewall gromets in hopes that maybe I'll find one that will fit snuggly in those vents but so far no luck. And the manifold sits right under those vents but it helps alot, fun watching the heat vapors come out at stop lights lol.

So I think I'ma ditch the e85 route. After doing research I found out that I'm gonna have to run 33% larger fuel lines that are e85 safe. So I think I'll just go with 91, might run a little hotter, but ****, least I'll be able to find a gas station no problem instead of hunting for the good ones lol.

I need help! I am planning to run 20-25 lbs of boost so I need to know what gm map sensor do I need. 3 bar or 2.5 bar? and what is the model or part number and maybe what cars they come from if you know. This is about the only thing holding me back, oh, and finding injectors for a reasonable price. Any one have any reconmendations on where to find some 750's for cheaper than $380?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, any help?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2.5 should hold up to 36 psi.. i think. Keep an eye on the classified for injectors, it's definatly the cheapest place to find parts if you're patient
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Got_soy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got_soy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2.5 should hold up to 36 psi.. i think. Keep an eye on the classified for injectors, it's definatly the cheapest place to find parts if you're patient</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Is it just any GM 2.5 bar map sensor? Also, does anyone know where I could get the wiring info needed to get this done?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Xenocron.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my sohc zc build: lots of pics!