Notices

My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s

Alright guys, Here's the scoop
I have been watching these forums for some time but this is my first post. I've been workin my *** off all summer trying to save up for my project for this winter. I plan on getting a 96-98 Civic Hatch and dropping in a B18A from a 2nd gen Integra GS (in which I already have). I've done alot of research and my tentative list of mods include T3/4 turbo intercooled, Pistons, Valve Springs, 4340 Crank, Rods, Cams, Cam Gears, Intake Mani, 255lph fuel pump, Injectors, Throttle Body, Hondata S200 w/all options, exhaust w/ High Flow Cat, and balance/blueprint, Tranny, Clutch, Flywheel, I may have left something out but i'll keep going.
Honestly, although I wouldn't mind more, my only goal for this project performance wise is to beath the **** out of my friends EVO in the 1320 and on the highway, (he talks way too much **** and needs to be put in his place)
My question's are, am I leaving anything out? Will I need anthing else to keep this running safely while not sacrificing performance (ie. sleeves, retainers, etc)? Is there somthing I dont need? What specific components should I look at?
My father has been involved in stock car racing for 25 years and have already consulted him but i think he is holding out on my because his responses are biased towards not blowing up my engine and not having me kill myself.
I believe my budget for this project will be around $15grand (more if I can get it), but I also have suspension, exterior, interior, etc. to worry about so base your responses around that. Keep in mind that all work will be done by myself outside of things I need engine builder equipment in which I know someone, so that stuff will be innexpensive. I DO have my own ideas in mind but would like to hear what you guys think.
Help would be much appreciated, Thanks
Old 08-17-2003, 04:55 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (MyMario)

I think you should mod your car for the love of the hobby, not to kick your friend's *** (but that's just my opinion). Anyway, the somewhat erratic list you posted is a pretty good rough idea of how to make your motor solid and reliable for boost. However, the stock Honda crank can handle pretty much anything you throw at it when it's micropolished/balanced and all that good stuff. So I'd say you don't need it. My advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME in researching and selecting good quality parts that have a reputation.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyMario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I've done alot of research and my tentative list of mods include T3/4 turbo intercooled, Pistons, Valve Springs, 4340 Crank, Rods, Cams, Cam Gears, Intake Mani, 255lph fuel pump, Injectors, Throttle Body, Hondata S200 w/all options, exhaust w/ High Flow Cat, and balance/blueprint, Tranny, Clutch, Flywheel, I may have left something out but i'll keep going.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you just want to beat your boy's evo (stock?) you don't need all that stuff. The stock internals of the b18a can handle maybe 300whp which is enough to run mid 12's. you don't need pistons, crank, cams, cam gears, valve springs, throttle body, intake manifold, or balance/blueprint. Just get a kit or piece together a setup with a good sized turbo and a 2.5" or larger exhaust, and get that Hondata dyno tuned and you'll be set.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:58 PM

you dont need much to beat one of those. just hope he is stock. get an ls motor, pistons and rods, turbo it. and get hondata and tune it. you will smoke just about anything on the street. oh yeah... just lower it, dont put any exterior stuff on it, and dont do any of that interior **** either, pour all your cash into the motor.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (Teg4e)

Damn dude, can you be anymore general about a setup. My god, If you researched then you would try to find the best combination and 15k budgets can do wonders for you car. I'm suprised you didn't mention **** about your suspension. Which would also keep you from dying. If I were you I would try to find the best combination and work on the whole car vs. just the engine. Your engine isn't any good if you can't keep the power down. Also, is this going to be a drag ***** for the highway or for the strip?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (Rah Rah)

Bro, I am doin this for the love of the hobby, and beating the **** out of my friends evo is really just the one thing I have on my mind that i Have to do. And how sure are u about that honda crank at 9.5:1 running 14 to 16 psi??? just wonderin?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:14 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (Teg4e)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teg4e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you just want to beat your boy's evo (stock?) you don't need all that stuff. The stock internals of the b18a can handle maybe 300whp which is enough to run mid 12's. you don't need pistons, crank, cams, cam gears, valve springs, throttle body, intake manifold, or balance/blueprint. Just get a kit or piece together a setup with a good sized turbo and a 2.5" or larger exhaust, and get that Hondata dyno tuned and you'll be set.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all...ignoring all else, stock valve springs on boost is probably one of the biggest no-no's possible.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:24 PM

Do some more research..... Go with what works a simple setup w/hondata can yield some good power along with a light weight car you should be set. Don'tlike complicating things that don't need to be
Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (CRXRageD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXRageD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn dude, can you be anymore general about a setup. My god, If you researched then you would try to find the best combination and 15k budgets can do wonders for you car. I'm suprised you didn't mention **** about your suspension. Which would also keep you from dying. If I were you I would try to find the best combination and work on the whole car vs. just the engine. Your engine isn't any good if you can't keep the power down. Also, is this going to be a drag ***** for the highway or for the strip?</TD></TR></TABLE>

About the suspension: "I believe my budget for this project will be around $15grand (more if I can get it), but I also have suspension, exterior, interior, etc. to worry about so base your responses around that."1st post
Besides, I already have that pretty much in the bag, TEIN FLEX coilover system

About being general, I was trying to be. I have been doing alot of research, but what I cant get from looking at websites selling this **** is opinions from people who have maybe used this **** or know someone who has. thats why i looked to honda-tech. expecting to get some advice, not to get told to do some research. this is research! I ain't hatin, just tryin to let you know what im doin here: "I DO have my own ideas in mind but would like to hear what you guys think." 1st post

But to answer your question, this is going to be a most of the time dailly driver. I'll prolly only hit the track once or twice with it. mainly cause the closest track is 2 hours from my house. second, this 15grand or so has gotta last me a long long time. I'm not workin 2 jobs to get 300 or so horsepower for a week. this is why im so interested in strengthening my motor
Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (CRXRageD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXRageD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn dude, can you be anymore general about a setup. My god, If you researched then you would try to find the best combination and 15k budgets can do wonders for you car. I'm suprised you didn't mention **** about your suspension. Which would also keep you from dying. If I were you I would try to find the best combination and work on the whole car vs. just the engine. Your engine isn't any good if you can't keep the power down. Also, is this going to be a drag ***** for the highway or for the strip?</TD></TR></TABLE>

About the suspension: "I believe my budget for this project will be around $15grand (more if I can get it), but I also have suspension, exterior, interior, etc. to worry about so base your responses around that."1st post
Besides, I already have that pretty much in the bag, TEIN FLEX coilover system

About being general, I was trying to be. I have been doing alot of research, but what I cant get from looking at websites selling this **** is opinions from people who have maybe used this **** or know someone who has. thats why i looked to honda-tech. expecting to get some advice, not to get told to do some research. this is research! I ain't hatin, just tryin to let you know what im doin here: "I DO have my own ideas in mind but would like to hear what you guys think." 1st post

But to answer your question, this is going to be a most of the time dailly driver. I'll prolly only hit the track once or twice with it. mainly cause the closest track is 2 hours from my house. second, this 15grand or so has gotta last me a long long time. I'm not workin 2 jobs to get 300 or so horsepower for a week. this is why im so interested in strengthening my motor
Old 08-19-2003, 01:13 PM

Well we didnt mean research in a bad way, Most of the time syou will find that thier is more thna enough in the Search archives. If you had researched enough you would have seen that half of the stuff yoiu listed doesnt need to be changed or upgraded to meet your goals. People are running 12's in stock block Ls's in integras. Add your weight advantage and thier you go. Just get a setup that works well together. A t3/t04e turbo, good manifold full race, inlinepro, ect... Good tuner, some bfg drag radials, nice suspension and wala.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well we didnt mean research in a bad way, Most of the time syou will find that thier is more thna enough in the Search archives. If you had researched enough you would have seen that half of the stuff yoiu listed doesnt need to be changed or upgraded to meet your goals. People are running 12's in stock block Ls's in integras. Add your weight advantage and thier you go. Just get a setup that works well together. A t3/t04e turbo, good manifold full race, inlinepro, ect... Good tuner, some bfg drag radials, nice suspension and wala. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or even better give me his 15 grand and he can have my twelve second car
Old 08-19-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (espanol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by espanol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
or even better give me his 15 grand and he can have my twelve second car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh but would it still be a 12 sec car without you driving?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Prospective B18A Turbo Set-up ???s (ski_rebel_3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ski_rebel_3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ahh but would it still be a 12 sec car without you driving? </TD></TR></TABLE>

this should be h-t question of the day..