Notices

My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed!

Hey everyone, just thought I would make a post in regards to my most recent purchase, an OBX LSD. I did alot of reading on this lsd and decided it was definatly worth a shot. Im just gonna show a few pics of the stuff that was wrong with mine, and I also have a couple questions on how to set up the concave washers.

Here it is in the box straight from b18bturbo.

In the box, kind of shitty packaging (not sure whose fault this is)

The bag was already open

First thing I noticed, the whole damn thing was bolted together crooked. (I was expecting **** like this so I don't want to here "You should have listened" bullshit.)

After removing the 9 bolts that hold the unit together, and noticing all but 3 being stripped all to hell. This is no big deal, because I was probably going to replace them anyways. The 6 year old china boy probably stripped them out since the case was crooked when he torqued them down. He also found it better to only tighten a few down finger tight, and a couple of the others down to 140 ft/lbs.

Here are the inards. People have commented on flipping over the gears so all of the dimples point up, but I really don't see the difference.

The passenger side gear was bevelled, so I won't have any problems with removing the axle. Even if this wasn't bevelled it wouldn't have been much work to have it done.

Now here is my question, I am not exactly sure how to assemble the concave washers that sit inbetween the two axle gears. When I dissasembled it they came out like this )()()(

Which yeilded the case to look like this without having any bolts attaching the two cases.

And then I assembled them like this, which made it look like it would be easier to close the gap when the bolts go back on.

This yielded the case to look like this without any bolts holding the case together.

From what I can tell, the 1st way would be better, since it would apply more pressure on the large axle gears, causing the diff to want to spin 2 tires rather than 1. The only problem is, when they are assembled the first way, the damn thing is almost impossible to get bolted down correctly, it gets all crooked like it came in the first place. The only thing I can think of is putting it in a vice, closing the gap between the two cases, and then installing the bolts, and torquing them to spec. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This thread was not created to bash the obx product in anyway, it was just an informative post on what to look for when buying one of these units, and also for me to ask some advice on how to assemble the concave washers. I feel like this will be a great lsd once I get it installed, and it should work really well.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:27 AM

Anybody have any comments? I really need to know the difference when setting up those concave washers
Old 02-12-2006, 05:35 AM

Default Re: (AaronJ)

I know someone talked about how to have them setup .. earl maybe ?? I do remember a write up of sorts. I will see if I can find it, but if you find out and I dont let me know cause I want to get one of these to try out..
Old 02-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (b20turboic)

yea there was a write up but i cant find it. when i got mine the packaging was a little busted (b18bturbo) but the lsd itself appeared to be fine. now im tempted to pull mine apart
Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (AaronJ)

wow.....i cant believe it actually got shipped to you like that. i seriously doubt b18bturbo would have shipped you the box all messed up like that. i bet the shipping company dropped it or something.

as for the beveled washers. i do believe you have to have them set up like how they were originally......they apply some sort of pre-load to the gears inside the diff. thats how mine were setup and thats how earl said they should be.

also the dumb asses at OBX obviously managed to seriously screw up those bolts by stripping them to hell.....if you plan to use that diff and replace those bolts i would suggest that you run a 8X1.25mm thread tap inside the diff housing to clean up those threads so you dont damage the housing or the new bolts. and they torque to about 40ft/lbs NOT 140

but first i would try to contact b18bturbo and see if he can get you a replacement diff since it arrived all messed up.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM

this changes my mind about the OBX lsd.. I am getting a quaife for sure now.
One thing if it got dropped during shipping but the stripped bolts . Id rather spend the few extra hundred on a good quailty piece..
Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (non-VTEC)

Its cool that you went through the unit and make sure its good and proper. Right now im kinda thankful that i bought a quiafe.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (Boosted Chemist)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1292600

Talks about the shims ... looks like his was set different but its some other info for you

no real replys but he talked about his setup in his post ... dont know if it helps but its something
Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (Boosted Chemist)

Damn my obx diff didnt have any problems.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:31 AM

i came across this thread in the turbo D16 forums -> http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=18501

he took apart his OBX LSD and says he put the washers like this )))(((

not sure if this helps

Old 02-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Never had problems with mines. Benn using it 4 over 1 year now.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (CruzianBoost)

when you are bolting it together are you tightening them in a STAR sequence??????
Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (Dturbocivic)

My OBX is holding up great

Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (InDub)

The Belville washers go like this...
()()()
like a spring
The unit will be noisey going around a corner with the springs any other way.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I've quit using this account

subscribed for later

good info in here
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (llewsirc)

I took my trans apart last week to do some gear swaping and my washers where set just like earl posted..but I went to a local bolt/nut/washer house and got some new washers that are a little thicker to put a little more load on mine..will tell you guys soon how it works..

BTW I put mine in a BIG vise and threaded all the bolts in hand tight..then took it out of the vise and snugged them to 42 lbs..
Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Re: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed! (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Belville washers go like this...
()()()
like a spring
The unit will be noisey going around a corner with the springs any other way.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks.. good info

i guess we'll have to stick it in a vise and clamp it down before tightening the bolts
Old 02-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99Hybrid_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Hybrid_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took my trans apart last week to do some gear swaping and my washers where set just like earl posted..but I went to a local bolt/nut/washer house and got some new washers that are a little thicker to put a little more load on mine..will tell you guys soon how it works..

BTW I put mine in a BIG vise and threaded all the bolts in hand tight..then took it out of the vise and snugged them to 42 lbs..</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you took yours apart, did you notice any signs of fatigue, or odd wear patterns on anything? any "stripped bolts? did everything look cool?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 AM

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

Awesome, lots of great replies from you guys! I hope this doesn't steer people away from buying the obx unit! these problems are a simple fix, and worth the 500 dollar savings on a quaife.

Earl- Mine came set up like this )()()( not like this ()()(), do you think that makes a difference?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this thread actually has me thinking about getting an obx just as a backup though for another tranny.....
Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you took yours apart, did you notice any signs of fatigue, or odd wear patterns on anything? any "stripped bolts? did everything look cool? </TD></TR></TABLE>

nope..looked good..gears where a little shiny but no wear..
Old 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM

subscribing to thread
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (99Hybrid_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Hybrid_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took my trans apart last week to do some gear swaping and my washers where set just like earl posted..but I went to a local bolt/nut/washer house and got some new washers that are a little thicker to put a little more load on mine..will tell you guys soon how it works..

BTW I put mine in a BIG vise and threaded all the bolts in hand tight..then took it out of the vise and snugged them to 42 lbs..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you have your washer set up like this
1-()()()
2-)()()(
3-)))(((

Mine was set up like number 2. When you compressed it in a vice, did you tighten it up so the gap between the two cases came completley closed?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like number 1..but from looking at number 2 it looks like it would apply more force and Iam going to do it that way next time..

I compressed it till it wouldnt go any more and put the bolts in..
Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM

Yeah, number 2 would actually be taller setup than number 1, and they fit better into those little gears they go in.

I got new bolts for it, brand new grade 12.9 for like 10 bucks, I can't wait to get this thing in. I will add pictures of the disassembly of the tranny, and installation of the diff.

-Hybrid, what did you do about the shimming problem? I am going to machine some of the surface where the bearing sits so I can get the proper shim in there.

Quick Reply: My OBX LSD thread, yes another one..Info given and needed!