Notices

Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!!

damn, after a hard run down the highway my car wouldn't boost anymore. I had thoght that it was just my piping the blew off but a weird rattling noise came from inside the hood. I stopped at home and check my turbo and it wasn't spinning at idle!! Is this normal?!? it would spin when i gave it a little gas but other than that it would just sit there. I turned off the engine and tried to see if there was any shaft play and there was!! plenty off it!! Someone please tell me that my turbo is ok!! do i already need to rebuild it?!!! damn!! this really sucks!!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it s rebuild time!!!!
did you buy the turbo used?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (d98clturbo)

Can you spin the turbine by hand?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Diego Boost)

no i bought it brand new!! and yes i can still spin the turbine by hand but there's quite a bit of shaft play. is it normal for the compressor wheel to not spin while the engine is at idle?? GOODNESS THIS IS MAKING ME SOOO MAD!! and the turbo is suppose to be a ball bearing turbo too!! holy ****...this is gonna cost me a fortune to try to fix!!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (shermanyang)

if it's internally gated, make sure the wastegate arm is not stuck open.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's internally gated, make sure the wastegate arm is not stuck open.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, I'm gonna go outside and try that right now. I was thinking it might be my wastegate but I wasn't sure at all. I'll do that right now and get back to ya!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (shermanyang)

Did you prime the turbo with oil before starting it for the first time? (Crank the engine over a few times with the plug wires pulled or the fuel pump relay disconnected until you build oil pressure.) Sounds like you got a bonk turbo, where did you get it? What brand?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (ClubSiRacer)

Yes I cranked the motor with the ecu fuse pulled for about a min non-stop. the turbo ran fine yesterday but today while on the highway, there was a crunching sound and this happened. ****, this really sucks. could a hole in my intercooler cause this as well? damn...i'm really worried about my turbo!! got it from SSAutochrome.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (shermanyang)

it's alright if it doesn't spin at idle. however if there is a lot of shaft play then you might have to rebuild.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (ekb18c)

THIS!!!! is the same **** that happen to me i put in turbonetics t3/t4b turbo in my 00si off the drag kit drove the car for 2 days bought it at 7000rpm on the highway and all the sudden bam!!! i bet money you broke the shaft right off the turbine when u start the car it sounds like a rattle in the engine but its the turbine shaft spinning and hitting the housing... cuz u said your car makes no boost and thats the i bet that happen... good luck and welcome to the money pit off the FI world... take your turbo off take the exhaust housing bolts off and if the shaft is still connected open the intake side look for the same!!! oh yea my turbine in the intake would spin and stop too... let me know what happens!!!
good luck
Old 05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (9psiTurboSI)

Yeah thanks for the advice. **** i really think what happened to you is happening to me!! F#CKING turbo!! damn...I don't really have any time to take the turbo off so i'm gonn have to drive around on it till this weekend ...damn thing is suppose to be able to handle 25psi!! and it broke with only 6 psi max!! cheap POS!! i didn't try this out yet but i'm gonna...with the motor running, hold the non-moving compressor wheel and give it gas. i'm gonna see if the shaft is really busted!!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if my shaft is broken...is there anyway i can fix my turbo? do i just get a new shaft/turbine wheel? does anyone have an extra one they want to sell me??!! SOMEONE HELP!!! it's really getting to me!!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My good money goes on user error...
Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My good money goes on user error...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but at 6 psi?!? tell me a T3/T04E isn't suppose to handle more than 15psi and not be okay!

how do you repair a ball bearing turbo??!! damn this sucks!! like i said before...i probably got a bad egg out of the bunch.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

External wastegate or internal?
Where does the boost gauge sit at idle?
Is there oil coming from your oil return line on the bottom of the center section of the turbo? You have the motor full of oil?

Just a note: Probably not a good idea to rev the motor and hold the compressor wheel. Either it will hurt when it spins or your going against the turbine wheel and making the shaft do something unusual.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

If you think the shaft might be broken just spin it with your hand and see if both sides spin.....
Old 05-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didn't try this out yet but i'm gonna...with the motor running, hold the non-moving compressor wheel and give it gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would suggest not using your hand to hold anything that moves in the turbo. you may find something out but it might be at the expense of a finger or two.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (racerxadam)

i like how you think your turbo is busted then have a turbo for sale in your sig
Old 05-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (ClubSiRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ClubSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you prime the turbo with oil before starting it for the first time? (Crank the engine over a few times with the plug wires pulled or the fuel pump relay disconnected until you build oil pressure.) Sounds like you got a bonk turbo, where did you get it? What brand?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont need to prime it anyway. youre not going to make much of any pressure at all just cranking it. you just need to start it, but i see thats not your problem anyway, hope everything works out.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (XDEep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XDEep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like how you think your turbo is busted then have a turbo for sale in your sig</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the first thing I noticed as well.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (drjondurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drjondurst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the first thing I noticed as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
me too
Old 05-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (GOLDBERG)

me three
Old 05-13-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (JDM LUDE)

ditto

|eb_CRX
Old 05-13-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (Leb_CRX)

If you think its broken dont try to sell it.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!! (1strdtko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1strdtko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think its broken dont try to sell it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

EERRRRRR!!! you guys get me upset!!! the turbo I'm selling is a t3/t4 .48/.60 in good condition minus the turbine housing. the turbo that is busted is a new T3/T04E .63/.60 57 trim compressor. I wouldn't sell something that I think or know is messed up and not usable. But it's all good, it's just all a miss understanding right?!? Yeah, well i'm gonna take the turbo apart tomorrow to check to see what is wrong with the sucker!!

Quick Reply: Is my NEW turbo Screwed!!?? HELP!! only 2 days boosting!!