Notices

My LS/Vtec Turbo Setup..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS/Vtec Turbo Setup..

Ok so I had a turbo b16 in my car the motor was completely stock on the bottom end, but the motor blew a ring.. I didn't know anything was done to the head until I took it off. So right now I am rebuilding an LS block, I am going back to stock pistons and rods for the moment, while I actually build another LS block. I have bought ARP Headstuds for the motor, and also have bought a Gsr Oil Pump for it. Now, my questions I am wondering are, will Type R cams help my motor gain a good bit of power over the stock b16 cams, or should I sell them and buy some skunk 2's or something? Also, I am going to be running 10psi and am looking to try and make 300whp, is my power goal set too high? Should I run a little more or psi, what could help me reach the HP I am trying to get? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will also be my build thread for my car so I will be coming back in here and posting more pics as I go.

Below are a few pics of the car and things I have bought for it.

If you look at the picture of the LS without the head on it, you will see that I can't run it because of the sleeve having a chunk taken out of it. .. So I did have to buy another LS that is knocking and I am rebuilding it at the moment, I ordered my bearings and rings for it so they should be here sometime this week. Hoping to have this running soon.
Attached Images           
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: My LS/Vtec Turbo Setup..

The ITRs are fine for what your goals are. In this case, there's no need to jump up to the Skunk2 series for that hp level. Even GS-Rs will be more than capable of what you're trying to do. But I do recommend that when you BUILD this time again, don't use stock components. For all the time and effort you're doing to swap these blocks time and time again, you could use that energy to put something together that will last for a nice while with more boost and power.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that is very understandable, it's just right now i'm low on cash, so I am having to go back to stock internals, just for the next couple months so that I can sleeve the other LS, and get pistons, rods, and such in it. I am actually having to get the car back together soon though or I would definately not mind upgrading to some better internals, would actually love to, but this is my only ride and I know I won't have the cash to buy the new rods and everything right now . thank you for your reply TheShodan. You most certainly know a lot.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A stock ls/vtec turbo will do 300 easily especially with the type r cams. Before I spent money on things such as cams, I would upgrade that turbo and manifold. Your engine on 300whp isnt whats gonna be non reliable, its gonna be the turbo and manifold that give you problems over a lengthened period of time
Old 02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your reply boostedeg302

I didn't have to buy the cams, they were already in my b16 from when I bought it last January. I am going to upgrade the turbo and manifold, but going to do that on the other motor i'm building, I'm hoping to have a new turbo within the next 3 months and a new manifold in the next 5 months. I am wanting to get 450whp-500whp on a sleeved LS/Vtec with Pistons, rods, and a bigger better turbo and stuff. I'm just wanting to do this since my car done went down, so that I can get it going again, and have a better motor than my b16 was, i am going to sell the shortblock and buy a couple more parts, may trade it off for other stuff. I know someone who has a set of STP Pistons and everything i'm going to try and get.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well I did some more research and checked to see how to tell for a Type R head, and the thread I looked in said that you can easily spot the head when you look and check the Valve springs to see if it has Dual valve springs. So I checked my head today and sure enough I have Dual valve springs in the head, so I have come to the conclusion from the Type R Cams, ITR Cam Seal, and the Dual valve springs that I have a complete Type R head minus the intake manifold, so now I am going to upgrade my intake manifold in the next couple weeks also. Here are some pictures that I took today, while working on the car. Not much but it's a couple.
Attached Images    

Last edited by iamthefollower; 04-04-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn you lucked out. I wish I took my head apart and found out it was an ITR haha
Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well an ITR head will have dual valve springs on the intake side and the exhaust side. b16 heads will only have them on the intake side. I dont mean to ruin ur parade or anything but u didnt specify with side you checked.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lluks_844
Well an ITR head will have dual valve springs on the intake side and the exhaust side. b16 heads will only have them on the intake side. I dont mean to ruin ur parade or anything but u didnt specify with side you checked.
It has dual valve springs on both sides.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedeg302
damn you lucked out. I wish I took my head apart and found out it was an ITR haha
Yeah, I am pretty happy man. I am definately going to love having this head on my block and everything, I really can't wait to get the other block sleeved and built. I'm going to have fun with what I have for right now though.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so now that the snow is gone and i'm off work tomorrow, i'm going to be pulling the LS block apart and getting it ready to be rebuilt. It is supposed to snow again tonight though .. I hate this weather, I like Fall best, but whatever, I have to get everything done and all. So tomorrow i'm going to pull the LS apart and maybe get the rest of the b16 pulled out of the Sol and everything.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so finally got the cylinders honed and got the pistons and rods in, got the bottom end finished so I decided to go ahead and put the head on and get everything torqued down. Didn't take too long, i'm hoping to get the motor finished up and put in my Sol in the next couple days or so.
Attached Images          
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, does anyone know what these go to?? They came in my LS/Vtec conversion kit. I think the small one goes to the sandwich plate for a turbo but not real sure.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking good man...how much boost are you gonna run..?? cause type-R head and ls with stock pistons ....well it has a bit of compression ....
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fsg231
looking good man...how much boost are you gonna run..?? cause type-R head and ls with stock pistons ....well it has a bit of compression ....
thanks .

I'm going to just be running 9psi or so on it, nothing over 10psi though. I had checked with the calculator and everything and it says that with that block and that head combination I should be at 9.8:1 compression, i'm going to get this one tuned soon and hopefully if i'm able to get some numbers to put on here. I can't wait to get it done though, i'm hoping to hit 300whp but seriously doubt that I will since I have an ebay 50trim turbo .. oh well, i'm going to upgrade the turbo as soon as I get the money and everything.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
thanks .

I'm going to just be running 9psi or so on it, nothing over 10psi though. I had checked with the calculator and everything and it says that with that block and that head combination I should be at 9.8:1 compression, i'm going to get this one tuned soon and hopefully if i'm able to get some numbers to put on here. I can't wait to get it done though, i'm hoping to hit 300whp but seriously doubt that I will since I have an ebay 50trim turbo .. oh well, i'm going to upgrade the turbo as soon as I get the money and everything.
awsome, hopefully you can help me out since im doing the same build... be sure to keep checking that turbo for shaft play ect... can never be too sure with those things....
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fsg231
awsome, hopefully you can help me out since im doing the same build... be sure to keep checking that turbo for shaft play ect... can never be too sure with those things....
No problem , Yeah the turbo has a little bit of shaft play right now, kinda sucks cause it was new when I got it and it only ran for 1 and a half weeks.... I'm going to buy a rebuilt kit for it since the rebuild kit that I found is like $70.00 maybe that will help it until I can really afford a good turbo. I have been sending pm's back and forth with TheShodan and he has been helping me out a lot on what I have decided to save up and buy.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im doing an lsvtec build to but i have a gsr head and i was wanting to buy arp headstuds for it but every one i find for lsv are with b16 head an doesnt say anything about gsr heads..... i was told to use gsr headstuds could anyone help?...... or pm me.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Doobie/ej1
im doing an lsvtec build to but i have a gsr head and i was wanting to buy arp headstuds for it but every one i find for lsv are with b16 head an doesnt say anything about gsr heads..... i was told to use gsr headstuds could anyone help?...... or pm me.
you can use the ones that say for a b16 head with the Gsr head, you just need to make sure they are for an LSV build because you just have to have them for the Vtec heads. You definately don't wanna put the Gsr Headstuds in, there are people that have the luck of the draw where they strip the block out where the headbolts go in, because the torque on the LS block is different than the torque with the Vtec blocks, so you have to be able to put something in there that will be able to torque down so that you don't strip it out. I mean don't get me wrong there are people that use the stock headbolts and such and get away with it without stripping it, but I wasn't going to take the chance on that one. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea everyone that i asked has never had or built lsv so i wated to make sure b4 i started buyin tha wrong parts. thanks
ur car up an runing yet? wish i had itr head! theyed go with my itr pistons lol
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yeah they would go good together. Nope, my car isn't running yet. I am trying to get the timing gear piece that goes on the crank back on but it's not wanting to go on at all.. ?? It's acting like it is too small for the crank, but I don't understand because it came off of the crank? I'll figure it out though. I should have the car running soon though, just gotta get all this stuff figured out.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I got the motor in the car today. I'm going to take pictures tomorrow and have them on here tomorrow night.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol so i guess u got tha timin piece on?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, got it on and the motor in time, getting it tuned soon too, but I just have to get this all bolted up and all then i'll be driving it .
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, what oil pump did you go with.?? i just picked up my turbo tonite, and 2 rota slipstreams im using for dragradials...

Quick Reply: My LS/Vtec Turbo Setup..