Notices

My little rant about the "DOHC" guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My little rant about the "DOHC" guys

First off dont flame me for being a newbie to this board. I have been reading this for a while but never bothered registering untill I finally went turbo. I'm just really sick and tired of people telling other people to get swaps. I have seen so many times when someone with a sohc posts a question asking for help wether it be i/h/e and they get "dont bother get a swap" bullshit. Like today this guy just get's a dx as his first car and he's already been told to swap out the engine . Some people just dont want to bother with that hassle and just want to keep the original engine. I have seen plenty of 12 sec turbo sohc's in the last few years, they do have potential and should never be counted out but I enjoy being the underdog with my little "sohc". You dohc guys need to lay off. Dohc's are nice dont get me wrong but just dont count us sohc guys out. END RANT
Old 04-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (TurboSohc)

from everything I have learned and seen over the last 3 years I have never seen a sohc fast!

Now granted I have seen a turbo sohc in a eg, built motor and it was running 12's. Now 12's are cool and all but to have a built motor and running 12's thats just wack. In my eyes the most cost efficient is to get a dohc, no matter what dohc, and turbo it. With a few things here and there u will run 12's with stock internals, no matter what dohc. I have seen low 11 second street cars with stock internals, that to me is fast. If u build the dohc it will be so much faster than a sohc. So I figure why waste my time building a motor when I can run stock internals and be just as fast.

Thats just my opinion.

[Modified by On Point EK, 2:37 PM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree completely. I dont think it is really even the hassle of doing a swap. I dont know why all the people on this board bought a honda/acura but I bought it because it was slow. I wanted to take something slow and make it fast. Now, owning a SOHC is the ultimate to me. Anyone can take a b18c, throw a turbo on and go beat some mustangs, but it takes some knowledge to do that with a d16y8 motor. Or in my case d16y7. I hope the little rich kids with their Si's watch out once I get my kit on. Dont get me wrong they are great cars, but that is my personal opinion.

SOHC all the way

Mike
Old 04-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (On Point EK)

from everything I have learned and seen over the last 3 years I have never seen a sohc fast!

Now granted I have seen a turbo sohc in a eg, built motor and it was running 12's. Now 12's are cool and all but to have a built motor and running 12's thats just wack. In my eyes the most cost efficient is to get a dohc, no matter what dohc, and turbo it. With a few things here and there u will run 12's with stock internals, no matter what dohc. I have seen low 11 second street cars with stock internals, that to me is fast. If u build the dohc it will be so much faster than a sohc. So I figure why waste my time building a motor when I can run stock internals and be just as fast.

Thats just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:41 PM

Have you ever seen the look on a guys face when he finds out he just lost to a sohc? Priceless and that is why I still have this motor. Remember you have nothing to lose as the underdog and everything to gain. Just some food for thought. Any single camers gonna back me up?
Old 04-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (On Point EK)

Then again, how much more did that DOHC in an EK/EG /EF cost?
twice more? i would think so.
yes, the potential of the DOHC is a little more and easier to get power out of.
But it does cost more in the end... and that is something some people on here are concerned about.
DOHC' are great motors.. and SOHC's are just as great.
motor swaps arent for everybody. My opinion.

Wil
all motor SOHC CRX... 13.6 1/4 mile $1500.00 2 cars ahead of a Gsr in an EG h/B... Priceless

on
Old 04-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most people don't use SOHC for the bragging rights they use it for the cheap price
Old 04-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOHC looks better in the engine bay!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:51 PM

Of course we dont use it for braging rights but if I just whooped a dohc and he asks what you got under the hood? Im gonna reply with "just a single cam" with a smirk on my face.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (DLB1994)

u trying to compare a stock engine to a fully built one

put a stock h22 in a eg or ek and see what happens
Old 04-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was on a budget while I was in college a few years ago and only could do the SOHC. I learned alot about it and knew it can do some great times on the track.
I still build DOHC's for others as well as SOHC's its all abotu preference and budget.

As far as looks on the engine bay... after a race when that guy with the B16 in his H/B sees whats in my engine bay. For some reason the SOHC motor just gleams at the crowd knowing it smoked a dual cam. And at that same instance, would that guy with the DOHC be proud to pop his hood? I think not.

Wil
Old 04-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (exospeedAMcrx)

Wil
all motor SOHC CRX... 13.6 1/4 mile $1500.00 2 cars ahead of a Gsr in an EG h/B... Priceless

on
put a b18c1 or 5 in a crx and u can run 13.6's
Old 04-22-2002, 01:57 PM

The avg price for a b16/b18 total swap is what? Probally around 3-4k. Turbo kit another 3-4k. What happens when you blow a dohc? Are the parts cheap? Sohc has many advantages over a dohc. Price and availability being two of them.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with that, we jsut built an lsvtec in a crx running 13.2
but compared to the cost of the SOHC, it is 3 times the cost..
some thing that most people dont have.
thats why we like to build motors according to different peoples budgets.

Wil

[Modified by exospeedAMcrx, 10:58 PM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was on a budget while I was in college a few years ago and only could do the SOHC. I learned alot about it and knew it can do some great times on the track.
I still build DOHC's for others as well as SOHC's its all abotu preference and budget.

As far as looks on the engine bay... after a race when that guy with the B16 in his H/B sees whats in my engine bay. For some reason the SOHC motor just gleams at the crowd knowing it smoked a dual cam. And at that same instance, would that guy with the DOHC be proud to pop his hood? I think not.

Wil
no sohc never beat me so i can speak on that one
Old 04-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you live in VA, so theres not much of a selection of cars I assume compared to Los Angeles area.

Old 04-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The avg price for a b16/b18 total swap is what? Probally around 3-4k. Turbo kit another 3-4k. What happens when you blow a dohc? Are the parts cheap? Sohc has many advantages over a dohc. Price and availability being two of them.
dohc easy to find parts for and more power
Old 04-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we should just have a chat room for this.. this topic is interesting hehe.

Wil peace!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:02 PM
New User

Have you ever seen the look on a guys face when he finds out he just lost to a sohc? Priceless and that is why I still have this motor. Remember you have nothing to lose as the underdog and everything to gain. Just some food for thought. Any single camers gonna back me up?
I dont wanna build my motor for others to be suprised what im running, I want to run the fastest time possible-and there is no disputing the fact that a B series motor is a better building block for a fast car. All of this "swapping motors is too hard" bullshit is pissing me off. Its not that hard to swap a motor, I mean you will be pulling the motor for a full overhaul anyways. Sorry, the SOHCs just dont do it for me. I respect any fast car, but I just dont see the point of fully building a soch motor...Id just save for the extra couple of months and at least get a b16.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:07 PM

Default Re: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys (blkDOHCsol)

First off I didnt build the sohc to suprise people with. I have a perfectly good engine siting in my car. Why not rip it out and spend 3-4k on a b16 3-4k can get you a turbo kit and build the sohc for the price of a b16/b18. Didnt make sense then and still doesnt now. Also I can tell you when you do kill a dohc you feel good inside knowing you did follow the common "path" and swap out for a dohc. You also get alot more props.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Trial User

I had a guy WITH a turbo sohc, and he fronted.. we raced after he called bullshit on me. i flipped around and pounded 1 to 1.5 lenghts in each gear down his throat... the punishing stopped mid fourth...

WHEN I LET HIM CATCH UP.... he blew off to my surprise.. then proceded to tell me how my engine was't good for boost and that his engine was better etc..

I just shook my head, finished putting gas in the car and left.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:16 PM

This whole dohc vs. sohc is nonsense. People do what they do based on the amount of money they have to spend whether it is building up the sohc motor or swapping in a dohc motor. If a built sohc motor smokes my dohc motor then heck I will give him props and no I wouldn't be afraid to pop my hood either. It is silly to argue over which one is better and why. Both have positives and negatives. So if you want to stay with the sohc motor cool, or if you want to swap to a dohc motor cool. Let's just not go arguing the fine points of import tuning.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:21 PM

fully built and without wheelie bars the Sohc vs Dohc race is pretty even,all comes down to the driver,take for example jason whitfield's CRX(worlds fastest sohc 1.5L honda),pretty famous showcar/racecar that shows up in all the mag's,alway's in that ad for Energy Suspension,anyway, he runs a 10.2@142 without traction bars,not too shabby for a lowly 1.5 Sohc,check out this link,its an older race back in 99 he entered,he qualified 11th but had the 3rd highest MPH in the Quick 16 field,also ill point out qualifing at spot #13th is james west,another Sohc,a D16A6. http://www.importdrag.com/raceresult...tTEMPLATE.html
Old 04-22-2002, 02:26 PM

I never created this as a sohc vs dohc battle. It's just that the dohc guys always jump to swap swap. They need to realize the + and -'s on each motor rather then always suggesting swaps.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but SOHC get absolutely no respect drom me. When I had my CRX SiR(B16A1) I embarrassed the crap of of a couple guys who had spent way to much money on their SOHC. My car only had I/H/E, an LSD and Tein N1's. One guy had a CRX with 11:1 compression, Sports injection (ITB's), 288 cam, head tune, ECU written for his setup and more. The other guy had one of the first JRSC in Japan. It was a SOHC D16 DC1 Teg with with too much crap to list. I would wax the CRX from start to stop and I would blast past the Teg at the top of 2nd gear.

I understand the underdog thing because I love seeing the faces of RX-7, Supra's, Skyline's, Impreza's, SR20DET freaks, and a lot of big turbo cars after I totally wax their asses in my Teg. I could never to this in a SOHC car without spending way too much money.

Quick Reply: My little rant about the "DOHC" guys