Notices

my friends and I are arguing. SAME CAR: 200HP all motor vs. 200HP turbocharged. who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my friends and I are arguing. SAME CAR: 200HP all motor vs. 200HP turbocharged. who would win?

(please dont flame the post, its an honest question. and we really are arguing over here) and we are interested to see what fellow honda-teker's have to say.

My friends and I are arguing about which would be faster. (if you read it please vote)

2 identical stock civic SI's

one all motor to 200HP
one turbocharged 200HP

all motor horsepower vs. turbocharged horsepower. which would win?
so that means gear ratio is the same, and literage is the same.

Modified by djmatix at 9:27 PM 9/13/2003
Old 09-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my friends and I are arguing. SAME CAR: 200HP all motor vs. 200HP turbocharged. who would win? (

The car with more torque will win.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: my friends and I are arguing. SAME CAR: 200HP all motor vs. 200HP turbocharged. who would win? (

200 all motor because you all the power there and dont have to wait for it
Old 09-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the replys coming, were goin nuts over here. hahaa
Old 09-13-2003, 04:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ben@importparts.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car with more torque will win.</TD></TR></TABLE>

......which would most likely be the turbo car.....
Old 09-13-2003, 04:18 PM

how many 200whp civic Si's or close to the weight do you see running 12's?i dont see any..the all moto car will most likely eat it
Old 09-13-2003, 04:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GOLDBERG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many 200whp civic Si's or close to the weight do you see running 12's?i dont see any..the all moto car will most likely eat it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh??? what does a 200whp si have to do with anything? Where does the E.T come into play? the question was turbo vs n/a which woud be faster with the same hp.....
Old 09-13-2003, 04:28 PM
New User

the allmotor car will win everytime. my old hatch with a built ls/vtec making 200 to the wheels ran 12.40's, no weight reduction. if you had a another vtec motor with similar torque but turbocharged making 200 to the wheels(whats that, like 4 lbs of boost?? ) in the same car, it would not run 12.40's.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fyi, same car. two civic SI's.

and just for ***** and giggles, whats your 60' times, your trap speed, and your 8th mile time. we'll do the calculations and figure out if thats true.

AND VOTE YOU BASTARDS, IF YOU THINK ONE OR THE OTHER WILL WIN....****** VOTE! thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 04:52 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jinxproof99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the allmotor car will win everytime. my old hatch with a built ls/vtec making 200 to the wheels ran 12.40's, no weight reduction. if you had a another vtec motor with similar torque but turbocharged making 200 to the wheels(whats that, like 4 lbs of boost?? ) in the same car, it would not run 12.40's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What Karl said is correct! The ALL Motor car has the advantage because of the broad torque curve, usually an all motor car will have high compression so the throttle response will be there and torque down low unlike a turbo car which has lag. Also on the street alot of times an all motor car with uch less horsepower will dog a turbo car due to traction issues.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:55 PM

It all depends on the powerband with all else being equal, imho.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nevermind haha i just got yelled at because i commented on the compression ratio. so keep the replys coming and VOTE! we are drinking beer and watching this post. we are dorks.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:01 PM

It really depends on how the car is set up, if the turbocharged car is setup right, it will spank the all motor car all day long, because it can provide 200 ft/lb torque, and then limit boost too keep output right near 200 HP, wheras the almotor car has to rely on how the motor makes it's power, whereas peak power will be 200 HP, but it will not maintain it over a very large rev range.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People talk about an all motor car having a broader TQ curve. What about a honda that actually had a properly sized turbo, to give good low end torque, and was sized to make about 200 max whp?

I am thinking the turbo car would win then.

I think we are biased because it seems everyone has a turbo on their car that is to big. IE: Stock b18c with t3/to4e. Im not saying that turbo is a bad selection but with a stock engine you really can't run the kinda boost the turbo is capable of. Additionally the turbo doesn't reach full spool until the middle of the rev range.

Now a b18c with a smaller turbo, say a 16g, I am thinking would have a better powerband then an all motor car at 200 whp.

Sure, maybe the turbo won't spool till 2500-3000 (much sooner then a t3/to4e), but what NA 4 cylinder has power there?

Guess what I'm saying is a car with a properly sized turbo putting down 200whp should beat an all motor car with 200whp. Certais Paribus.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:14 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djmatix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nevermind haha i just got yelled at because i commented on the compression ratio. so keep the replys coming and VOTE! we are drinking beer and watching this post. we are dorks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, you guys are dorks...drinking beer and watching a post! come on...haha

but here's my 2cents. the turbo will win and cost less doing so.

why? torque curve and driver ability.

if both driver's know what they are doing and run flawless runs the turbo setup will barely win as you'll obviously have to rev slightly and feather from the hole with the turbo setup so you'll be properly spooled to get advantage. under boost you'll have a higher rpm torque curve than the same engine naturally aspirated. not only that but it'll be a sharper curve AND it'll be effective in a shorter duration due to spool time which is influenced by rpm climb (and visa versa)...

basically the turbo engine will spool up and climb faster in rpm to the next shift point than the naturally aspirated engine will and thus accelerate faster.

end point of discussion...why are all 9 second honda/acura's force fed? because it's faster than the same thing naturally aspirated.

case in point. the progress/vortec honda civic.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:16 PM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djmatix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nevermind haha i just got yelled at because i commented on the compression ratio. so keep the replys coming and VOTE! we are drinking beer and watching this post. we are dorks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if both driver's know what they are doing and run flawless runs the turbo setup will barely win as you'll obviously have to rev slightly and feather from the hole with the turbo setup so you'll be properly spooled to get advantage. under boost you'll have a higher rpm torque curve than the same engine naturally aspirated. not only that but it'll be a sharper curve AND it'll be effective in a shorter duration due to spool time which is influenced by rpm climb (and visa versa)...

basically the turbo engine will spool up and climb faster in rpm to the next shift point than the naturally aspirated engine will and thus accelerate faster.

end point of discussion...why are all 9 second honda/acura's force fed? because it's faster than the same thing naturally aspirated.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:17 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Old 09-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ls/vtec is one of the few allmotor setups that make a decent amount of torque. Generally speaking, a turbo honda will have a lot more torque then a N/A setup ESPEACIALLY a B16. If the cars are the same weight I'd vote for the Turbo car.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we arent just watching the post and drinking beer, we work at a shop that does this **** all day. And you answered to it, very nicely, we all went "ahhhhhh ok.." so you must be drinking beer to . thanks for the reply, these are all good points! KEEP EM COMING!
Old 09-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What Karl said is correct! The ALL Motor car has the advantage because of the broad torque curve, usually an all motor car will have high compression so the throttle response will be there and torque down low unlike a turbo car which has lag. Also on the street alot of times an all motor car with uch less horsepower will dog a turbo car due to traction issues. </TD></TR></TABLE>

BF, what if the turbo car had a full-race mani running a ball-bearing t28 w/ open downpipe and made 50-75lbs-ft of tq at 2500-4000 rpm. But dies out up top, hence it only making 200hp. But down low it has a grip of TQ? A lot more then the all motor car?

Just brainstorming.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New Poll

Let’s say there are two girlfriends with similar boyfriends. One boyfriend goes home after work. The other makes his girl friend wait 2 ½ hours to go out to eat. Which boyfriend do you think is going to get laid tonight?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:32 PM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djmatix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we arent just watching the post and drinking beer, we work at a shop that does this **** all day. And you answered to it, very nicely, we all went "ahhhhhh ok.." so you must be drinking beer to . thanks for the reply, these are all good points! KEEP EM COMING!</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait, who answered it just right?

as for the boyfriend question....that's fucked up but the guy who makes his g/f wait the two hours will get laid first as he's only making her wait till the other dude's girlfriend shows up for the threesome
Old 09-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djmatix)

let it be known, my girlfriend is at home on my computer watching the post. how ******* cool is that! hahaha but she has my name, so im at work on the same name.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:41 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanAutry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BF, what if the turbo car had a full-race mani running a ball-bearing t28 w/ open downpipe and made 50-75lbs-ft of tq at 2500-4000 rpm. But dies out up top, hence it only making 200hp. But down low it has a grip of TQ? A lot more then the all motor car?

Just brainstorming. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking this also ut it will be a dog up top so I THINK the all motor car will pass him. But why are we beating our heads together for a bunch of drunk bastards laughing at everyone beating their heads? Go out and race your all motor 200whp car against your frinds 200whp turbo car and get Speed Contest tickets and DUI's!

Quick Reply: my friends and I are arguing. SAME CAR: 200HP all motor vs. 200HP turbocharged. who would win?