Notices

My first turbo install, pics and install story inside....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first turbo install, pics and install story inside....

This is long, if you dont want to read about the problems and install parts just skip it and there are pics at the end. I thought going through some of the troubles I had might help some of the other noobs out there who are afraid.

OK well I had like 30 pics. Alot are just install type pics. Im going to attach four of the after pics. IF anyone wants to see specific pics of certian parts of the install just let me know, I might have some (3/4 of th way through the install i got irritated and stoped taking pics).

Friday:
OK so anyways last friday is when it began. Woke up and went to my morming calc class. Got out and took the turbo, dp, and mani to nappa to get some grade 8 bolts. Guys there helped me out alot. Ended up spending about 2 times as much as I thought I would have. Got home, let the car cool down some. Went over all my install steps and went outside and got started.

Everything went ok untill about 3. I had all the stock stuff off, the oil pan off, new pan installed and oil feed lines installed. I took a lunch break and chilled out for a little while. Started working on it again and got to the oil return line. Well the way my mani sits the turbo sits REALLY low. The oil retunr kit i got from fast turbo wouldnt work. (found hat out after messing around with it for 2 hours). So I get online get a local guy to help me with ideas and get ready to take action. By this time Im pretty tired so I decide sleep will do me better right now.

Sat:

Wake up early sat. go to the local "speed" shop and buy some more SS liune for the oil feed. End up using a barb fitting right off the trubo with a hose clamp to save some room since the turbo sits so low (I can get those pics also if someone wants). I get the oil return workd out, good to go. So next I need an 02 bung on my DP. Call a good friend of mine up that works at a muffler shop. They are closed on sat, but i convinced the owenr to open up shop and hook me up. The owner had no probs doing that. Great people!. Oh also midas muffler got me a o2 bung after calling all around the city to find one for me, good people there too!

So i get the o2 bung on. Get all the dp and mani and turbo situated. Test fit and the damn dp hits the block. Take a grinder and slowely dring the block down. After about an hour dealing with all that and running around getting parts I finally get it to fit. Now th 02 sensor wont reach. i soder some extentiion wires inbetween to make it reach. I end up getting all that done and mounting the tp to intercooler piping. Also got all the fitting done for the bov and wastegate. I move onto doing the inj. late that night. get the orings dremeled out and finally get the inj to stay in place. buckle it all down and go to put the clips on.....no fit. Found out obII clips dont fit the DSM inj. So now im like wtf am i going to do. Tomororw is sunday and I have no inj clips. (last thng i needed)

I decided I needed some rest so went to sleep. This was suppose to be done by friday night, early sat ops:

Sunday:

Get up early and start calling junkyards. found one about 30 mins ayay that is open. Go out there found an old talon, yanked the clips off. Guy at the desk says 30 bucks for them. I said **** that ill get them cheaper somewhere esle for like 15, he lowered it to 15

I get home soder the new clips up, put the oil in and ecu. Start her up. Smoked like crazy at first and sounded mean as hell. Shut her off, looked at my maps again just to double check everytyhing. Everything was ok, so i went back outside and let her idle for 10 mins. Ides very nice.

Rest of sunday i went around everywhere getting heater hose and parts to do the collant lines. Ended up making a green mess everywhere.

After that she was done. She sounds mean as hell and everyone here is more excited than I am. People are expecting alot out of her so hopefully you all can help me achieve that. YOu all have helped a ton so far.

Without further adue, here are the pics.

By the way this is my first ever install so be easy

Setup:
Stock D16y8 (for now)
gt28rs
lovefab mani
tial wastegate
blitz bov
uberdata
dsm 450cc
3'' open DP

Id like to give thanks to:

Cody at lovefab, the people at majestic turbo, stan @ fast turbo, all the people on hondatech and turbod16, nathan who helped me with alot of the basic stuff, seen4ever (memeber on here that has helped me alot), nsxmatt for the good idea on the oil return line, mf gf who helped me through this whole process, I bet she knows more than 90% of you all now

I know there are a ton of others, if i have forgotten you im sorry.

Modified by Civicman86 at 8:11 PM 4/12/2005
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (Civicman86)

looks mean from the front bro....get some numbers
Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice setup cant wait to she what she makes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egvtec)

looks good, wondering about no dump tube and it burning through that hose
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good, wondering about no dump tube and it burning through that hose</TD></TR></TABLE>

I should have one made soon, Im not hitting boost yet since im not tuned so I dont have to worry about the gate yet
Old 04-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civicman86)

Damn... looks excellent!

Nice choice of a turbo!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my gf who helped me through this whole process, I bet she knows more than 90% of you all now
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pics of her?!..

haha jk..

Looks awesome! Any pics of the oil drain u were having problems with? also get some vids!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM

ya, open downpipe sounds like a racecar....but i hate it to tell you the truth.....thats just my opinion, i dont like how it sounds in low rpm

but nice setup for your first....goodluck
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Turboaddict)

nice install..looks alot better than my first one. get some numbers im interested!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:59 PM

got picture of oil return line? i have a lovefab mini-me and a full race t3/t67. The turbo sits so damn low, its almost level. Show me some pictures of how you did it please. Thanks a lot
Old 04-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (tRaCeBuStAbUsTeR)

The easiest way to do the return lines with the Mini-me's is to request the silicon lines from Stan@fast-turbo.com. You may need to cut some of the barbs off so they do not hit(its CLOSE), but the tradeoff is a better manifold design withOUT copying anybody. I have 6k miles on my S2k with these lines and they are badass; working with them is even better, I can still weld the next day because my fingers arent porcupined.

Dustin,
Im glad you get er together! I spent the better part of 3 hours on that downpipe that was basically "thrown in" to the package for you. When I found that it shifted after welding I thought about throwing it through my bay door. Thankfully I didnt; I put a dent in it where it was hitting and I warned you of it(thought so anyway?). Where it was hitting was basically excess mold left-overs, and I figured youd gring the block.
Reguardless, Im glad you got er together, cant wait for some #'s!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dustin,
Im glad you get er together! I spent the better part of 3 hours on that downpipe that was basically "thrown in" to the package for you. When I found that it shifted after welding I thought about throwing it through my bay door. Thankfully I didnt; I put a dent in it where it was hitting and I warned you of it(thought so anyway?). Where it was hitting was basically excess mold left-overs, and I figured youd gring the block.
Reguardless, Im glad you got er together, cant wait for some #'s!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey dotn worry about it. Our setup deadline was kinda pushed. Sorry I put you in the situation. The dp actaully fit a bit better than we thought. The studs had a little play in the flanges so you could almost clock the turbo a little and make the dp fit. Either way your stuff is top quality, id recomend it to anyone. And the custom assistance is top notch. Lovefab=

Im getting tuned this weekend and hopefully hitting a dyno later this month.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vroom vrooom
Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (seen4ever)

I like your custom vacuum manifold! LoL... good thinking... that's probably cheaper than buying one huh? Maybe I'll give that a try...

What are you doing about crankcase vantilation? (Ever since Dasher's thread that's the first thing I look at. LoL)

Do you have a dumptube?

How does it feel?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the turbo choice, cause i wanna go with the same way.. looks like you did well... could i see pics of how the turbo sat and your return line? wanna help me install mine hahah
Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who made your IC piping or did you piece it out then have it welded? Thanks nice setup
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (usdmcivic94)

Looks good man another boosted D series
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (JDMCRX)

Looks good. Nice setup too. Report back with numbers.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (RacerXI)

Lookin good Dustin!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (RacerXI)

That turbo should give you a nice powerband
Old 04-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like your custom vacuum manifold! LoL... good thinking... that's probably cheaper than buying one huh? Maybe I'll give that a try...

What are you doing about crankcase vantilation? (Ever since Dasher's thread that's the first thing I look at. LoL)

Do you have a dumptube?

How does it feel? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah the custom mani was all rigged by mself lol, I figure it works the same. Ventilation is all stock right now, that is the next thing I am looking at in the setup. Still have alot of research to do on that. No dumptube yet. I needed the mani here first to figure out how I wanted the dumptube to sit. Hopefully soon I shall have one. Seen4ever and I are hopefully going to tune her this weekend.

mochasi: Yes I will post up pics tonight on the fitbment. Seems alot of people are interested in that part of the install (I give all credit to NSXMatt on my oil return setup, hes the one that helped me figure out it). Also when are you installing? I might be down for a little bit. Make sure you have everything you need. If you need help getting a list together PM me and I can try to get a complete one for you.

Everyone else thanks for the comments. Hope to get on a dyno sometimes this month or next.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought with Uberdata you didn't have to run bigger injectors. Are you planning on running higher boost or something? That's just what I thought. Could be wrong. I'm looking to turbo my y8 EK so I may be PMing you soon. Looks good. CLEAN!!!!!! Really clean under the hood. No slop. I like it. The valve cover and IC &gt; Intake Mani pipe are sweet too. That valve cover is cool though. Kinda like SOHC Type-R. LOL.

JP
Old 04-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great man, only thing i would change is get that oil feed line far away from that turbo manifold!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside.... (prelittlelude)

can you post picture of oil return line, thanks man
Old 04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (r6samson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r6samson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought with Uberdata you didn't have to run bigger injectors. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think you could get any wronger.

240cc injectors are no where near enough injector to even provide fuel for 1psi of boost. you need to research for 3 weeks and then reconsider your statement.

dustin, i'd get a dumptube soon there bud, tuning a car and having the wastegate melt through coolant/vacuum/head up radiator is never good to figure out what's going on with the engine. I've melted a few things tuning others, if you can get a dumptube made, then i'd recommend it. Saturday i'm out for tuning, other arrangements atleast for the beginning part of the day. but we'll figure something out and see how the car does.

Quick Reply: My first turbo install, pics and install story inside....