Notices

my first serious turbo build any input would be great

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first serious turbo build any input would be great

alright well as it says this is my first real build. my previous set up was a stock gsr with a ramhorn manifold and a garett .57 trim .60 ar and it made 343whp and 228 for trq. ran a 12.5 in the quater @122 with wheel spin tuned at 10 psi with chrome and a apexi avcr
my new build is as followed
block
rs enginering sleeved b18a bored to 83 mil
arias 9:1 comp pistons
crower rods
toda timing belt
head
port and polished gsr flow benched
stock valves and toda valveterain
gsr cams and jg engine dynamic cam gears
edelbrock victor x intake mani and 70 mil tb with spacer/adapter
rc 750 injectors
turbo
garett gt35r
nsr tech. ramhorn mani
tial 44 mil wastegate
greddy type rs bov
engine management
apexi power fc with comander
apexi avcr
transmission
gsr with kaaz lsd
act sprung 6 puck with extreme pressure plate
cooling
visteon racing radiator half cut civic
samco hoses

im just kind of curious to see what people think of what i have going. am also curios to as what people think my power numbers will be and an estimated quater mile e/t. (i know it depends on the tune, driver, and car. ek hatch) its going to be daily driven and tuned somewhere between 18 and 22 psi. any input on power number and relability issues would be cool. im shooting for between 450 and 525 is it realistic?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no need for the avcr if you have crome. stick with crome you dont need a power fc. many high power cars tuned on crome here. and ditch the gsr cams and get some itr cams.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who is going to tune your car in WA?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

intec racing in kent is going to tune the car. they did the last turbo motor for me and my n/a before that. havent had one blow up yet. knocking on wood!
so in other words i wasted my money on the power fc then?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BOOSTEd2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BOOSTEd2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres no need for the avcr if you have crome. stick with crome you dont need a power fc. many high power cars tuned on crome here. and ditch the gsr cams and get some itr cams.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is that?

AVCr is for Boost control

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (g2turbo)

+1
i think he was thinking it said safc
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dscivicdx)

you will probably run out of injectors very soon with the 35r.
with the sleeved block and the 35r, 750's arent going to do it. may i suggest 1000's. plenty of room to grow. good setup to start with.

Modified by boostedcivicsir at 11:44 AM 5/25/2007
Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

get rid of the Toda timing belt!!!! stick with OEM.

I have seen three of them skip teeth on the cam gears and blow motors
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dscivicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dscivicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+1
i think he was thinking it said safc</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad i was thinking safc. but you could have tuned your car just as good on crome.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM

thanks for the input so far guys. please keep it coming. that kinda makes me leary of the toda timing belt if someone has seen three probs with them and it cost so much. also are the 1000 cc injectors say street able everyday the car will be seeing about 50 miles a day of combined freeway and town driving. what kind of power limitations am i going to see with the 750 cc injectors and are the numbers i am looking at possible. one more question that would be helpful cause im kinda not super good at finding stuff on here is how do i wire up my throttle body and my gm 3bar map. im trying to get this in my car and break it in this weekend
Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: (boostingisfun)

I've heard some stories about Intect Racing blowing up motors on their dyno. Quite frankly, there aren't any good businesses that tune cars in WA.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LilKrnThugBoi253)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilKrnThugBoi253 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard some stories about Intect Racing blowing up motors on their dyno.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dyno a lot of cars, and most of them come to me Mickey Moused together. I usually bite the bullet and fix them if I'm sticking my name on them. Some people, however, are complete ******* ******** and would rather be able to pay their bills and feed their kids regularly and drive something better than 18 year old 300K mile beater rides while stupid kids get drive around in correctly sorted turbo cars. Those people get paid for what they do, and let the customer be an idiot and blow their car up if they elect not to fix all the problems with it first. From the shop pictures I've seen of Intec, they are the sort of low down dirty bastards who don't drive dented up cars with mismatched paint, they pretty much look like they want to get paid like... like... like some sort of business *shudder*

People like that totally suck, right?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilKrnThugBoi253 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quite frankly, there aren't any good businesses that tune cars in WA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave Lee is quite intelligent, aside from him I have no real experience with anyone in that region to make any comment. I like to go on first hand experience, not "stories."
Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should come to SE WA to KaizenSpeed.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

can kaizen tune my power fc? i was told that intec was the only people in the northwest that brought apexi to their shop to teach them to tune it and yada yada. how would my tune react between the two different places? its generally not as warm here on the west side of the mountains and the elevation is diff too wont that affect my air fuel ratios?
as for intec they all do drive nice rides and deffinately do charge a pretty penny for everything. its put quite a dent in my pocket to do this build with them. but welcome to the turbo scene i guess.
thanks so far for the input guys and please keep it coming. also if anybody see's any probs that i may have or a part that my not work with what i got please let me know so i can work on fixing it. im hopin to start the motor n/a tomorrow and start the break in process. want to have the turbo on there by next weekend, its killing me that i have already missed two points racing events at two or three tracks all with in a couple hours of where i am at. thanks again
Old 05-26-2007, 05:05 PM

another quick question. my turbo manifold is flanged for a 38 mil wastegate which it still has on it from my old set up, is it too small and going to give me probs? i do have a 44 mil just wandering if i have to cut my mani and weld on a new flange for the bigger wastegate or will i be able to get away with the 38 mil.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ATP Turbo as a 38mm-to-44mm gate adapter plate.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=FLS
Old 05-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy I know that tunes turbos doesn't use anything smaller than 44mm.

I'd really suggest 1000cc's for your build. Its easy to make them streetable. Hell, I did it with 780's on a d16 and crome in 2 minutes, and thats w/o the nice battery injector offset adjustment that crome has. The 'tuners' that can't make it idle likely also use electric razors so they don't bleed to death each morning.

Crome has adjustments for intake air temps, so don't really worry about that. Just make sure its street tuned in those various conditions, or at least take note of the differences afterwards and have them deal with it.

I assume you feel your 83mm will survive now, so I won't rag on that. I'd just suggest that the turbo is a tad big for a daily driver. You can make 400+ on a gt2871r, and thats nearing the limit of pump gas. At the very most, get a 'baller' GT30 variant. The cat's *** for a DD IMO would be the gt30r with divided .78ar t3 exhaust and supporing manifold.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (93dxkid)

thanks for that quick point out and cheap fix. the shop wanted to charge me for two hours of labor and cut up my mani. i like this way alot better. 34 bucks plus shipping is hella cooler than 160 plus flange and ugly welds more that likely on my mani. anybody running one of these adapters or have any probs feedback on it would be cool
thanks again guys please keep it coming
Old 05-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re:

any more thoughts guys please. thanks so far.
so the gt35 is going to be too big for my set up? that really blows for how much that big bad boy is. please keep it coming guys and thanks again so far.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Re:

ttt any input please guys