Notices

My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR

I thought I would share my experience dealing with TorqueFreaks in Portland because I was very impressed with how they went out of their way to help fix a bad situation for me. I went down to have Sean tune my AEM EMS on my boosted LS, upgrade me to 1.03, setup boost control, etc.. Before going to TorqueFreaks, I had been running on a poor tune and off the WG spring @ 7 PSI for the past year, I took the extreme hesitation, inconsistent idle, a non functioning IAC valve, excessive cranking to start, etc.. as just being typical of cars with true standalones as my AEM was my first experience with a standalone EMS.

Sean blew me away by making my car run like stock, and on the dyno I made ~260whp at a tad under 10 PSI on a conservative tune. My car was running amazingly well after Sean tweaked it for a couple hours. He was very patient and explained everything to me, even when I kept bogging on his dyno(It was my first time on a dyno, sorry Sean ). All the guys at TorqueFreaks were incredibly nice and professional. We went to do the first street run and when I ripped into it in 2nd gear, boost control never got activated - tires broke loose - boom... Boost control was solid for 21 dyno runs, first street run it stopped working and I blew my B18B from overboost.

Turned out to be a hardware problem within my AEM, the boost control solenoid was never activated. My IAC had never worked because the PW output was also dead on my EMS, 2 coil drivers were dead from the time it was installed, etc.. I had a longblock sent down to TorqueFreaks from Sohfast and they swapped it in, Sean got a brand new EMS overnighted from AEM, and he tuned the new setup.

In the end, Sean only charged me $46 for misc. parts, he covered all of the swap labor, EMS tuning, hassling with AEM, and more. I recently went down and picked up my Integra and was amazed with the drivability of it; I have a functioning IAC valve, consistent power down low, no hesitation at all, my FJO is properly calibrated with my EMS. Before seeing Sean, my car was fun to drive despite all of its problems, but now it is simply bliss to rip around in a car that drives like stock.

I work really hard to be able to modify my Integra and a blown engine was more than I could afford to deal with, if Sean hadn't helped me out by covering all the labor I most likely would have had to sell my turbo components to cover the cost of a new swap. I have never dealt with an import tuning shop with such great customer service. I highly recommend Sean @ TorqueFreaks for EMS tuning, and will definitely be making the 2-3 hour trip down to Portland whenever I need EMS tuning in the future. I can't recommend them enough!

Thanks again Sean and everyone at TorqueFreaks!
-Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (mskibbz-T)

Holy ish man. Torque Freaks, especially Sean, sound like good people. Sorry to hear about the faulty EMS. What are you putting down now?
Old 02-14-2004, 03:25 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that is a good story
I would deffently take my **** there to be worked on
Old 02-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (0x64)

He prolly felt bad for you...thats awesome he hooked you up...Definately good peoples.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (si2die4)

Now thats a great story, if I lived up in oregon I'd go there for tuning for sure, nothing better finding a trustworthy shop, you lucked out
Old 02-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy ish man. Torque Freaks, especially Sean, sound like good people. Sorry to hear about the faulty EMS. What are you putting down now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm putting down somewhere in the neighborhood of 240whp, and am running off of the wastegate for now. I am going to hold off on boost control until I can get a boost control solenoid that can handle situations where the EMS would fail to send a signal, I hear the APEXi solenoid defaults to the WG spring if it doesn't receive a signal whereas my GM solenoid is set to go wide open if it doesn't receive a signal. I know there are other options, but I need piece of mind and time to save up some $$$ in case I push it too hard
Old 02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, good to hear. I might just have to pay them a visit next year.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mskibbz-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the end, Sean only charged me $46 for misc. parts, he covered all of the swap labor, EMS tuning, hassling with AEM, and more. I recently went down and picked up my Integra and was amazed with the drivability of it; I have a functioning IAC valve, consistent power down low, no hesitation at all, my FJO is properly calibrated with my EMS. Before seeing Sean, my car was fun to drive despite all of its problems, but now it is simply bliss to rip around in a car that drives like stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I call excellent service
Old 02-14-2004, 03:57 PM

i just had to comment also. that is a great story. also i fi was around there i would take my car there without thinkin twice.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:42 PM

NICE! You drive the blue teg that was in their parking lot? I just went to that shop for the first time last week with 5thgencivic!!!! I dont doubt a work you said. Their customer service is unreal, they dont have a stuck up "supra shop" attitude, they will talk to you like a real person, and above all, they will do EXACTLY what the customer wants to have done. Just by talking to them, I can tell they treat every car like its their own!

I am now switching to AEM, and having sean tune my car! We'll get to see what Sean, and AEM can really do with a honda
Old 02-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (InfamousRS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NICE! You drive the blue teg that was in their parking lot? I just went to that shop for the first time last week with 5thgencivic!!!! I dont doubt a work you said. Their customer service is unreal, they dont have a stuck up "supra shop" attitude, they will talk to you like a real person, and above all, they will do EXACTLY what the customer wants to have done. Just by talking to them, I can tell they treat every car like its their own!

I am now switching to AEM, and having sean tune my car! We'll get to see what Sean, and AEM can really do with a honda </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, the dark blue LS that needs some body work and some de-ricing You're gonna love the EMS if you get it tuned by Sean
Old 02-14-2004, 11:47 PM

Torquefreaks and horsepowerfreaks. Can't say it enough, these guys do great work and are always willing to work with the customer
Old 02-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (PureTeg420)

can't wait to give these guys my business. i've chatted with sean a few times on email, nice guy
Old 02-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOw...that is quite the hookup!
Old 02-15-2004, 06:57 AM

This story makes me want to go to Portland from NY to get my car tuned
Old 02-15-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: My Experience with TorqueFreaks in Portland, OR (Hoosier Daddy)

Hi, Matt, thanks for posting a review of our shop. I'm glad we were able to get your car back on the road after that unfortunate incident. If you need anything else or have any questions, don't hesitate to call.

For those of you who may have an interest in our tuning services, we travel multiple times each month to various parts of the country to tune cars. If you check out our website, you can see a list of places we'll be in the near future. If you're in one of these places or would like to schedule a tuning session in your town, shoot me an email and we can talk about the details. Take care!