Notices

My catch can gets full in 4 days...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My catch can gets full in 4 days...

I have the open breather ventilation setup like in this thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935

And for some reason my catch can gets full to the brim in like 4 days. It gets to the point where my filter is covered in oil. Also the oil looks really brown and milk like I have a blown headgasket or something but the oil looks fine and so does my coolant. What could be the problem?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (SkoundrelUSA)

skoundrel....is this a serious post?

If so, either headlift or blown HG. I think the latter.

Do you have a SOHC? Aftermarket headstuds?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">skoundrel....is this a serious post?

If so, either headlift or blown HG. I think the latter.

Do you have a SOHC? Aftermarket headstuds?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yes its serious

Its an all motor "poorman's R" I only posted it here because theres a lot of idiots in the Civic forum and the FI guys know more about this catch can system.

I have ARP head studs and compression was good (255,265,255,260) and leakdown was about 10% in each cylinder.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (SkoundrelUSA)

how much power u making? usually high HP cars fill it up quick, thus thats why they have another 2 ports on the valve cover to release alot more pressure. If your not making tha tmuch, then somethng else is wrong, could be the head gasket, or the way u have the can mounted, u have the drain back?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (Dual Cam Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much power u making? usually high HP cars fill it up quick, thus thats why they have another 2 ports on the valve cover to release alot more pressure. If your not making tha tmuch, then somethng else is wrong, could be the head gasket, or the way u have the can mounted, u have the drain back?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I made 175whp on a mustang dyno so roughly 195-200 on a dynojet. Remember this is N/A.

I was gonna try to tap the valve cover and see if the problem continues but wanted to see what everyone thought first.

The can is a modified Greddy can. Basically tapped a hole on top of the can and put a filter on it. The can is mounted by the battery where the harness plugs are normally mounted (thats the highest I could get it)
Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (Dual Cam Racing)

I have 400whp, 2 vents from back of block, two from valvecover. Even in 3 weeks of driving, it only has like 3/4 cup full of oil. No drain on mine.

If this is an NA motor, its not the catch can setup thats the problem.

The motor has some health issues.

I know you said comp test was good, what about leakdown? I've heard motors with bad ring/ringlands can show good comp but leakdown will suck *****.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: My catch can gets full in 4 days... (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 400whp, 2 vents from back of block, two from valvecover. Even in 3 weeks of driving, it only has like 3/4 cup full of oil. No drain on mine.

If this is an NA motor, its not the catch can setup thats the problem.

The motor has some health issues.

I know you said comp test was good, what about leakdown? I've heard motors with bad ring/ringlands can show good comp but leakdown will suck *****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats why I'm thinking something might be fucked up, but I don't know...

I already said my leakdown was about 10% in each cylinder.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah thats why I'm thinking something might be fucked up, but I don't know...

I already said my leakdown was about 10% in each cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can tell you the **** in my catch can looks like that too, but I only get a few ounces every 2k miles. It looks like choc milk, but the oil looks good and car doesn't overheat. I think it may be due to condensation because the can has an open element filter on it.

I wonder if oil is being forced into the can when you get on it. To test this I would try running the line to the can upward until you get above where the valve cover meets the block then run it to the catch can. You may have to rig something up to hold the line, but just see what happens. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (1158)

I can give that a try I guess.

I can tell you this, when we dyno'd my car, I saw the filter on the can bubbling and **** from oil coming out. I'm not sure if it was oil coming straight out of the hoses, out the filter somehow, or because I forgot to empty the can that week.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can give that a try I guess.

I can tell you this, when we dyno'd my car, I saw the filter on the can bubbling and **** from oil coming out. I'm not sure if it was oil coming straight out of the hoses, out the filter somehow, or because I forgot to empty the can that week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if the can was full I would expect that. Your getting blow by out of it and then if it's full, at least you know it's working. I know guys on here have had problems with thier cans filling when they remove the black box and use the fitting.

I kept the black box and just hollowed out the PCV valve. The box will prevent all the oil from going up into the can. Granted you get more crap into your oil that way, but I'd rather change my oil a little early vs adding a few quarts every week.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1158)

so were did u run he hose comin off urblack box?..toa catch can? or did just put a filter on it??