Notices

MY BOTTLENECKED EXHAUST....need some good opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY BOTTLENECKED EXHAUST....need some good opinions

Let me start off by first saying this was done out of convienence only...But any way the car is a 93 eg hatch with a ls swap with a rev hard kit/precision e housing turbo .60 / .63 .... I am using the rev hard 2 1/2" downpipe with a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust.. Now where the "bottleneck" part comes in..I had a high flow cat (that is now hollowed out btw) laying around so I used it to join together the dp and the rest of the cat back...The problem is there is a section of pipe (approx 6"long and only 2" in diameter) welded directly to the cat that I am sure is restricting the flow some...I only plan on running 10 psi for now, and I would like to know when this in fact becomes a MUST replace part as far as psi/horsepower level goes.... As a side note, the car is up and running on 6 psi and feels good as far as power goes......thanks for any input/suggestions....
Old 10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MY BOTTLENECKED EXHAUST....need some good opinions (99lspwr)

i removed an exhaust restriction from my exhaust and gained 120whp. my flex bellow blew up on the inside and went from 3 inches down to about 1 inch.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY BOTTLENECKED EXHAUST....need some good opinions (Turbo-charged)

Ouch!!! Hopefully my case is not this extreme, but I get your point...
Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY BOTTLENECKED EXHAUST....need some good opinions (99lspwr)

ttt...for some info!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

youd gain a good amount of hp if you went from that setup to a true 2.5 inch setup all the way back...

and even mroe if you went to a full 3inch
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM EJ1 95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM EJ1 95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youd gain a good amount of hp if you went from that setup to a true 2.5 inch setup all the way back...

and even mroe if you went to a full 3inch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info as I allready knew that, but kinda looking for people who have or had the same type of setup with any proven results....thanks though
Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to be re-doing my exhaust on Wednesday where the darn muffler shop I originally went to decided to use 2 1/4 piping after I asked for 2.5" and made some really bad bends.. I'm guessing that my piping is less than 2 inches at one point, so I'll let you know how it feels after I re-do it with 2.5" mandrel bends.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bubs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to be re-doing my exhaust on Wednesday where the darn muffler shop I originally went to decided to use 2 1/4 piping after I asked for 2.5" and made some really bad bends.. I'm guessing that my piping is less than 2 inches at one point, so I'll let you know how it feels after I re-do it with 2.5" mandrel bends. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lots of "exhaust" shops don't have mandrel tube benders. the just crush bend the pipes. you have to find the right place who can mandrel bend them for you or if they have pre-bent mandrel pipes then they can fab you up a nice exhaust system.

for turbo the minimum size should be 2.5".
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lots of "exhaust" shops don't have mandrel tube benders. the just crush bend the pipes. you have to find the right place who can mandrel bend them for you or if they have pre-bent mandrel pipes then they can fab you up a nice exhaust system.

for turbo the minimum size should be 2.5".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, no one around here has a mandrel bender. It's actually my downpipe that I was referring to and it opens up into 3" mandrel bent piping from the cat-back.. I bought some mandrel bends and I'm going to do it myself this time with my trusty ebay flux-core mig welder