Notices

My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:)

Thanks to my cuz George for sticking in there on those 118+ garage days and for doing a good deal of quality welding for me. I know this car has massive potential to gain just trying to cancel out bugs one by one, I know some people know what I mean on that. LOL I may have missed some items so feel free to ask. Oh and all the experts please chime in on the dyno graph, I know it’s not at 100% because of the manifold leaks but how does this graph look? This last tune I made 554 and 390 TQ at 28psi, had a bad boost leak on the mani we had to stop the tune. My tuner didn’t give me the 554WHP run to post but I took a pic of the Dyno graph’s. Thanks for looking!

Head:
GSR
Ported and polished
Stock size SS valves w/multi angle valve job
Crower springs, retainers and keepers
CTR cams
AEM cam gears
CRV HG
Venom knock off Intake<leaking have BBK on the Way

Block:
GE 84 mm LS Sleeved with o-rings
JE 84mm 9:1 CR
Eagle H beam rods
LS micro polished crank and chamfered
GSR oil pump
SI water pump 22 teeth
Moroso oil pan

Trans:
LS with LSD
CC twin disc

Fuel set up:
3-walbro 255’s (2 sumped of the tank and then Y’d to 1 inline and all have filters 2- 100 microns and 1- 10 micron)
-8an feeds and -6an return
Mr Gasket fuel rail
1000cc Rochester’s
Aeromotive FPR

Management:
S300 with boost control
MSD
NGK 8’s
LM1 WB

Boost goodies:
Garret TO4R twin scroll
Custom made Top mount designed by George and myself<completely divided within 1/8” of WG valve
44mm Tial WG
50mm Tial BOV
4” custom made U pipe with 10” flew joint lol
2.5” Custom Charge piping
Ebay 27x10x3” intercooler back door fed
Custom made Catch can also a Perrin

Also have 50 shot of N20 but never been able to get that far on a tune to engage it

MISC:
FAL fan
Fluidyne Radiator
15” DR’s
13” MH slicks on lenso’s

554 whp 390 tq runs with boost leaks

a 504 whp run

random pics

homemade mani

fuel pumps

Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:) (Redwidow)

Awesome looking setup!! Nice numbers
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:) (herecomesboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by herecomesboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome looking setup!! Nice numbers </TD></TR></TABLE>Thank you sir!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:) (Redwidow)

WOW
Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is one laggy bitch
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:) (slodel)

Beautiful nice numbers how much did that manifold run you?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 PM

a few things i'd like to add. turbo is .70 a/r divided with P trim turbine. if you look at the dyno graps you can see the red line where the boost went to 37psi (tuner having issues with the s300 boost control) after that you can see the boost start falling off ever run worse and worse. so these numbers just don't do justice for this setup. hope to see it hit 700's off the juice. good luck cuz.

p.s. who said you neede two tial 44's to hold boost??? I see a solid 15psi on the 1 bar spring.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

batboyvaj "that is one laggy bitch"

where do you get that? show me a 66+mm turbo that comes on quicker than that? but if your comparing it to a t3/t4 57trim then yeah I can see that.

Modified by GA-AutoFab at 8:59 PM 7/31/2007
Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:) (Bonestock98GS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bonestock98GS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Beautiful nice numbers how much did that manifold run you?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks Bud we made it in my garage so with materials I'd say around $300 and a head ache or 2 Schedule 40 SS elbows and tubing no boost creep issues at all, only time it spike to 37 psi is when a vaccum line came off the WG even then it had a good AF ratio(on the dyno) &lt;don't know how that worked out but it may have lifted the head on that misshap so I may pull it and put a new HG, I'm not sure if it would show with a Compression test..so better to be safe than sorry
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GA-AutoFab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GA-AutoFab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a few things i'd like to add. turbo is .70 a/r divided with P trim turbine. if you look at the dyno graps you can see the red line where the boost went to 37psi (tuner having issues with the s300 boost control) after that you can see the boost start falling off ever run worse and worse. so these numbers just don't do justice for this setup. hope to see it hit 700's off the juice. good luck cuz.

p.s. who said you neede two tial 44's to hold boost??? I see a solid 15psi on the 1 bar spring. </TD></TR></TABLE>
G that 37 psi spike was when that vaccum line blew out lol
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i meant laggy for my tastes...i'm running a gt2871r
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

tight he still has power steering.
jay dee emm
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FaceTuned)

NICE SETUP
Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GA-AutoFab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GA-AutoFab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
p.s. who said you neede two tial 44's to hold boost??? I see a solid 15psi on the 1 bar spring. </TD></TR></TABLE>

people that don't know what they are doing
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (TiAL)

It's easy to hold boost with that much backpressure. Put a real turbine housing/wheel on the car and then see what happens. A .70a/r divided housing is TINY, that's where most of your power is. Put a bigger housing on there and the power will come up alot...

As far as spool, my 4294 with a 1.28 housing makes 28psi at 5800rpm...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (tony1)

Damn, we have ryans single cam spooling faster than that with a 3567r
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

definately looks laggy 28 psi at 6500
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FaceTuned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FaceTuned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tight he still has power steering.
jay dee emm</TD></TR></TABLE> This is true:p

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike@synapse motorsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, we have ryans single cam spooling faster than that with a 3567r </TD></TR></TABLE>
If I'm not mistaken that a considerably smaller turbo?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's easy to hold boost with that much backpressure. Put a real turbine housing/wheel on the car and then see what happens. A .70a/r divided housing is TINY, that's where most of your power is. Put a bigger housing on there and the power will come up alot...

As far as spool, my 4294 with a 1.28 housing makes 28psi at 5800rpm... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what the effect of the boost leak on reaching peak boost is, I'm sure it will be a lot more responsive with the new BBK on the way. But if I were to change from a .70A/R what would be a good suggestion? Also what gains will I see up top or the whole way across the graph?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbocivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NICE SETUP</TD></TR></TABLE>Thanks!

Thanks for the comments keep them coming
Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice setup....although i'm not real keen on the BOV location

also, not the car i'd expect to house such a nice setup....
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 AM
i ♥ snails

nice setup, one question why did you go with msd? did you have any breakup issues up top?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good George and Ernesto. The turbine housing is definitely too tiny for what you guys are looking for, especially since its divided. I just upgraded to a 1.19a/r from a .95 on mine.... you would be suprised on the spool time difference. The turbo looks laggy partially because the car is only revving to 8k, although the torque curve looks choppy up top. What was the run length (time) set to for these pulls?

A siginificantly bigger turbine housing with a higher redline will wake this puppy up!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice setup, one question why did you go with msd? did you have any breakup issues up top?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks!

Nope not at all, and previously I had ran to 8900 on another dyno but same whp results at 7800 right now. I'm trying to tune for 9,200rpm but like I said I have little bugs every time at the dyno I don't like the MSD wires a lot because the darn things walk off the Dizzy, I may have to crimp the connectors a bit tighter and see if they stay on better

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good George and Ernesto. The turbine housing is definitely too tiny for what you guys are looking for, especially since its divided. I just upgraded to a 1.19a/r from a .95 on mine.... you would be suprised on the spool time difference. The turbo looks laggy partially because the car is only revving to 8k, although the torque curve looks choppy up top. What was the run length (time) set to for these pulls?

A siginificantly bigger turbine housing with a higher redline will wake this puppy up!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Servion
I was trying to get you down here to get her on her feet so George and I are just crawling towards progression I guess we can upgrade to a bigger A/R. I just hope it will work with the rest of the components already on the car. I can get a 1.15 for $40 so I'm going to see if that fits. I intend to run this car to 9,200rpm so I'm sure she'll growl once everything is cleaned up. As for time I'm not sure if you can source it with the files I have. I do not have the final run file just the ones posted for the 504whp runs if you want me to email them to you to see I can do that. I also will get the tune to you later to check it out.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The turbo looks laggy partially because the car is only revving to 8k, although the torque curve looks choppy up top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgot to mention:
Could this be due to the boost leak? Look at the blue line where the boost came on decent then the red line where it loose's about 5 PSI @ 6K. It might be choppy because of that problem but I'm not expert and the tunner said he couldn't tune anymore with that issue I'm sure this mani wash garbage when i got it
Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost leaks will definitely not help the issue at all - that intake manifold leak can definitely affect spool and power numbers. Those definitely need to be fixed.

On a side note, one thing not many people know about is also how heat in the exhaust manifold affects spoolup. If the exhaust manifold has cooled off a lot between pulls, the spool time can be drastically different. I personally always try to make pulls with consistent engine (and oil if there is a gauge) temperatures between pulls to try and isolate the changes between pulls. If the engine cooled down a lot since the last pull and I have to drive it longer to get the temps up to where I want them to be to make a pull, the extra time spent generating heat that gets soaked into the exhaust manifold will cause the turbo to spool faster...sometimes much. This is more apparent on big manifolds with a lot of material. You should see the subarus lol ...with those long header and uppipe setups they run, I have seen 700rpm spool differences between runs just due to heat in the exhaust manifold

Do you know how long (duration) your dyno runs were set to?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

if it's ramp time? its set to 10.00

Quick Reply: My B20 LS/Vtec turbo T04R dyno's and some pics:)