Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My B18A1 turbo project

Here's my current set-up:

The engine bay picture:

The new turbo:

Same ol same ol:

*B18A1 Block bored .5mm over and honed by Davis Machine shop.
*Fully balanced GSR crankshaft by IMI racing, Ground 10 under and micropolished by Hatch performance engine machine shop.
*Eagle H-beam GSR connecting rods cut and resized, microplished, blanced, and checked for straightness by Hatch performance engine machine shop.
*Clevite bearings (oversized rods, regular mains and thrust).
*CP Low Comp pistons 9:1:2
*B16 head
*ARP B16 headstuds
*GSR cams
*Turbonectics 38mm wastergate
*cast mani
*Blitz dual turbo timer
*LS tranny

New additions:
*Precision T3/T67 (basically a gt37r) .83 a/r hotside.
(Here's what it looks like http://www.full-race.com/catalog/ima...%20T67%202.jpg)

*Venom full race manifold.(taking off soon and going back to the 2000 si mani)
*Aftermarket 70mm throttle body.
*innovative wideband
*3" straight exhaust off of turbo
*quaife lsd
*Clutchmasters stage 4 6-puck sprung.
*Hondata S300!!!

The car:

The start of the engine:

Old internals out:

Comparison:

Stock B1 Head:

Porting:

Piston rod combo:

Intercooler with old front end:

How she basically sits now:

Thee block:

Last edited by EFPhilly; 10-07-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My B18A1 turbo project

any input on which is better the aem ems or the apexi power FC...my horsepower goal is to keep it around 300 whp
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

hey your from around salem right? I think ramsey said he knows you. any ways for ems I would suggest just having rrev tune it on chrome, its cheap but will have everything you need to do a ls-t.

Im doing a ls turbo now too. good luck on the build man
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
any input on which is better the aem ems or the apexi power FC...my horsepower goal is to keep it around 300 whp
Yeah, keep it simply, you don't need either of these two for your goal. that is a debate that will never end
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why exactly did you go with the GSR crank?? What's your logic with that?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you do your own porting??
Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
hey your from around salem right? I think ramsey said he knows you. any ways for ems I would suggest just having rrev tune it on chrome, its cheap but will have everything you need to do a ls-t.

Im doing a ls turbo now too. good luck on the build man
Yessirrr, I went to high school with Ramsey. Yeah I was thinking about the chrome. This post was before I found out I still owe the hospital money, so now Im going the less expensive route. I will look into rrev, I believe they are up in washington. I have a P06 in my car right now, and was thinking about chipping that. I cant find a regular obd1 LS ecu (P74 or 75) so I can just get the motor in my car then chip that ecu....
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yeah, keep it simply, you don't need either of these two for your goal. that is a debate that will never end
well then what do I need. seeing how I am now on a budget. Ive heard a few names thrown around. I wouldnt mind chipping my ecu. I really would like datalogging and 2 step.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civhb
why exactly did you go with the GSR crank?? What's your logic with that?
My logic was simple, I went to the shop one day to pick up the eagle ls rods, and some kid had came in traded for them for the gsr set I have. They hooked me up with a gsr crank, and I said, eh why not....I like to be different. I know its a slightly destroked block, but I was going for reliable not extremely high numbers. Everyone has asked that question. But ill ask everyone a question...who runs a gsr crank in a ls block....not very many ive seen....eh no real logic I guess. Chime in if Im missing something....
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Adam_b16a
Did you do your own porting??
Yes sir. Did my own porting just b/c my friend did his on the H22 and had no problems with it. I decided it will make a little more power for a short period, then since its not flowbenched its not going to flow perfect so Im going with the vtec B16 or Gsr head that will flow nice. I reseated the valves as well....
Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
Yessirrr, I went to high school with Ramsey. Yeah I was thinking about the chrome. This post was before I found out I still owe the hospital money, so now Im going the less expensive route. I will look into rrev, I believe they are up in washington. I have a P06 in my car right now, and was thinking about chipping that. I cant find a regular obd1 LS ecu (P74 or 75) so I can just get the motor in my car then chip that ecu....
rrev is in jantzen beach and Iv had them tune my last 2 cars. jeff is a really good tuner, plus they are one of the few local shops that will support crome (its free)

as for the p06 isn't that the automatic ecu? you can mod it to run a manual but its just 1 more possible thing that can mess up.I tried to chip my own p75 once and I had a bunch of issues. you have to make sure to clean the board really well other wise the solder will just bubble and it will get to hot.

Last edited by K7-1Ktrevor; 12-08-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rrev is in jantzen beach and Iv had them tune my last 2 cars. jeff is a really good tuner, plus they are one of the few local shops that will support chrome (its free)

as for the p06 isn't that the automatic ecu? you can mod it to run a manual but its just 1 more possible thing that can mess up.I tried to chip my own p75 once and I had a bunch of issues. you have to make sure to clean the board really well other wise the solder will just bubble and it will get to hot.
The p06 is a manual single cam v ecu. I'm good with circuits but don't trust myself. Chrome gold I heard was the one to use. But I'll check chrome.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

p06 is a non vtec ecu.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking nice. Good luck with everything. I will be boosting my LS down the road.

And for the record, its Crome..not chrome, No H.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

p06 is a non vtec ecu.
Well I swear that's what it is. Cracked vtec in the single cam before the vtec controller. The vx hatch looked stock when I got it. Maybe it's already chipped. I hope!! I'll check it out and tell ya.

And Crome huh not chrome?? That's gay...guess since it's free they had to take out the h haha.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya p06 is non v but it can be converted.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a p07. Now I feel dumb. Def the stock ecu out of the vx. I had my hopes up. And I just read only certain kinds of p07s can be chipped. I'll have to yank her out again. So basically everyones saying chip it. The shop (pacwest) wants me to buy their aem or fc, but not anymore. Will they tune or chip it for me? If not rrev here I come. And crome will support the 750s right. Never messed with this ****...

Last edited by EFPhilly; 12-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shannon, from pacwest wont tune unless its aem or s300. he doesn't do crome... I really don't know why. the free tuning software always has some small glitches that make tuning them a little bit harder, but def worth saving the money on a basic build
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shannon, from pacwest wont tune unless its aem or s300. he doesn't do crome... I really don't know why. the free tuning software always has some small glitches that make tuning them a little bit harder, but def worth saving the money on a basic build
Thats what I figured. Well I don't want glitches, but probably all the free software has them. As long as it can tune well and not glitch the map I'm fine with it. Did you have any problems with crome on your setup? Maybe it would be wise to get crome gold and spend the money? I liked the power fc because of the handheld, I would want to wire a USB port so I can monitor. If I can do that without hondata or a stand alone that would be nice. I have a break from college after tommorow. Going to completely finish the engine and hopefully plop her in. I'll get some chipping shops from around Oregon and find the best to do the USB without breaking the bank. Everything for the swap is set though, after I get the headgasket; except the stupid ecu. Are there any cheap programs without the glitches?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ecu doesnt matter what code it is. any obd1 ecu will work weather it has vtec or not. the ecu doesnt dictate vtec maps the software does and if you plan on going vtec in the future then pick up a vtec ecu or you could also have a nonvtec ecu converted. its all very simple stuff and keep it simple. aem and power fc are way to much acu for the average setup. crome gold has 2step with timing retard and fuel addition but it requires an ostrich or deamon and a crome licence. you cant burn crome pro gold files unless you have a dealer licence vs the tuner licence
Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
ecu doesnt matter what code it is. any obd1 ecu will work weather it has vtec or not. the ecu doesnt dictate vtec maps the software does and if you plan on going vtec in the future then pick up a vtec ecu or you could also have a nonvtec ecu converted. its all very simple stuff and keep it simple. aem and power fc are way to much acu for the average setup. crome gold has 2step with timing retard and fuel addition but it requires an ostrich or deamon and a crome licence. you cant burn crome pro gold files unless you have a dealer licence vs the tuner licence
Okay. Well I'll check on how to diy to chip the ecu and maybe pick a kit up. I was not going to install the Crome gold, I was going to have a someone with a license do it. And I take it when I chip I can add the USB port. Crome gold has datalogging too right, depending on what chip I use. Maybe I could just pick up a cheap obd1 ecu and send it off. So my car will have zero down time after the swap, it's a DD. Thanks, for the info.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the glitches are more of tuning issues. were they just make it a little bit trickier to tune. as long as your on a stock map sensor and not huge *** injectors it wont be an issue at all to tune even for a novice. but if you take it to rrev and have jeff tune it it will run great. and if you wanna drive your car up there with the bigger injectors in it I would have them load a basemap in for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the glitches are more of tuning issues. were they just make it a little bit trickier to tune. as long as your on a stock map sensor and not huge *** injectors it wont be an issue at all to tune even for a novice. but if you take it to rrev and have jeff tune it it will run great. and if you wanna drive your car up there with the bigger injectors in it I would have them load a basemap in for you.
okay that sounds great. I heard I need a GM 3-bar and was going to ask for one from Santa. My injectors arent huge, only 750cc's, and before I go turbo Im using H22 Lude injectors, they have a little bit more fuel than the ls, if I can get them to work. I heard I can just use the civic injectors from my engine to power it N/A...they are the same cc rating. I spent enough dough on the engine, so I will def not be tuning, I was going to the right way to build and dont want to mess with that. If I chip the ecu I can load a LS basemap though I believe.

Another question is I have been going off my friends knowledge and he said I can use the OBD2 manifold with the OBD1 ecu, just have to rewire...just want to def make sure of that before I yank my engine out.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running a obd2 manifold, I think the only diff is the evap purge solenoid on the top.
and yes you will need a 3 bar if you want to run anything more then 11 pounds of boost. I wouldnt mess with prelude injectors, if anything get a base map from rrev, throw your motor in with 750's and immediately drive it up to them to get tuned.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^
Okay thats what everyone has told me. So I was just going to not run the evap purge. I want to find out what lines I can disconnect...so ill search for that. Im going to get a 3-bar map, been checking on all of those. GM and a few over brands. I might run a 2 bar because My boost is not going above 14 for now. Im going to use my stock civic injectors for the N/A. Im going to be chipping my ecu, would like to go with a hondalog or something of that nature...because of the usb cable. Have to find a program that supports datalogging, I heard that the uberdata has dataloggging.

So here is an update:

Yesterday, I Put the new OEM headgastket off a B18A1 on my resurfaced block. Heard the OEM gaskets support up to .5 mm overbore. I then used mothers polish to gently resurface the head with a flat sanding block and it came out wonderful. I installed stock head bolts (dont worry not going to boost on em) re-did all the threads and set to correct torque specs. plastiguage the cams and checked with dial guage and the lift is perfect intake and exhaust. Torqued cam sprockets and lubed everything and installed cams, rockers, retainers. Have to get a cam cap still. Only thing that worried me was that the plastiguage was around ~.001 off with the torque wrench at 7 ft-lbs, so I set the torque wrench for 8 ft-lbs(book says 86 in-lbs) and called it good, should set to correct oil passage. So today I have to check valve lash and get everything else in.

The flywheel looks a little iffy, so I may need to find a cheap place to resurface it, or possibly do it myself.

Shes coming together nicely though...ill post pics tonight wiht a mock up of everything on.

Quick Reply: My B18A1 turbo project