Notices

Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump?

I just bought the edelbrock kit with fuel management, but have yet to install it.

I will eventually go with uberdata sometime in the distant future, but i was curious if for now should i upgrade the fuel pump and/or FPR. I would like to just upgrade the fuel pump, because hey starving a turbo engine is a bad thing, but i have been reading that it might be neccesary to upgrade the FPR at the same point, as the pump may just overload the injectors.

Just wondering what everyone else has been doing and or having luck with.

also, walbro pumps and the like, are they in tank pumps or pretty much in line boosters?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (snoochtodanooch)

you dont need a fpr

walbro pumps are in tank
Old 12-23-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (sporkcrx)

you only need a FPR if you plan on changing the rail pressure, to sqeeze more power out of you injectors.

platinum.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (platinum00)

thanks, this clears up alot for me.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (snoochtodanooch)

I was under the impression, that the stock regulator, was not up to returning the extra fuel that the walbro puts out, therfore raise the fuel pressure. there is the old drill the stock return trick though. I replaced mine when i replaced the pump, just in case, so i have not had one actually fail on me. there is a lot of speculation on this topic.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (skunkwhat)

It is better to have an aftermarket fpr with the upgraded fuel pump. You may get an increase in fuel pressure with the stock fpr because it will be restriction on returning fuel to the tank. My AEM fpr came with three different size orifices to compensate for the larger fuel pump.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is better to have an aftermarket fpr with the upgraded fuel pump. You may get an increase in fuel pressure with the stock fpr because it will be restriction on returning fuel to the tank. My AEM fpr came with three different size orifices to compensate for the larger fuel pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is very much the case with GSS342 high pressure walbro it up the pressure to around 45-50psi at the rail with stock fpr most guys try to run fpr around 38-42 in range some times that makes a big difference in tuning
Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (b18bturbo)

I have done heavy searching on this topic so I think I can answer this. It is a hit and miss if you have to get a new FPR or not. Some people are able to slap on the new pump and the stock FPR will work just fine. Some people like me have higher fuel pressure because the FPR can't handle all the flow . All I did was tune it out using Uberdata. I had to subtract 50% in the idle sections just so I didn't peg rich on the wideband! It's not a big deal. Later on I guess I will get a FPR, but it's not needed if you can tune it out with Uberdata/Hondata/AEM EMS
Old 12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (adseguy)

I think thats why larry at endyn came out with the drill technique to lower the pressure there is excessive pressure especailly if you are running a FMU setup that has no tuning ability
Old 12-24-2004, 11:11 AM

How exactly do you raise/lower fuel pressure?

Ive got a purple BnM FPR but I dont have a gauge nor have I looked into how to adjust fuel pressure.

I plan on coming very close to maxing out my dsm 450's with about 340whp, and Im sure fuel pressure is going to come into the mix
Old 12-24-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump?

I have the walbro 255 with the stock fpr and it's passed smog with it...so it can't run it that much richer.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (sporkcrx)

is the AEM a rising/lowering rate FPR? like the Aeromotive?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that is very much the case with GSS342 high pressure walbro it up the pressure to around 45-50psi at the rail with stock fpr most guys try to run fpr around 38-42 in range some times that makes a big difference in tuning </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats pretty much were mine is at also, i have the B&M but its usless, it cant handle the 50psi, adjusting it does nothing. I think my tuner just tuned it out, but now i am think this is causing my rich conditon sometimes at low RPM and when cold also having bad gasmileage. Been looking into getting the aeromotive, they make one that bolts to the factory fuel rail but cant find anyone that sells it. I had local shops look for it but their suppler says its on back order.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think thats why larry at endyn came out with the drill technique to lower the pressure there is excessive pressure especailly if you are running a FMU setup that has no tuning ability </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you do this drill technique i have a stock FPR i might try this.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had stock fpr with my walbro 255, raised the pressure to ~50-55psi but once the motor was tuned this didn't matter.

so the answer to your question is NO.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How exactly do you raise/lower fuel pressure?

Ive got a purple BnM FPR but I dont have a gauge nor have I looked into how to adjust fuel pressure.

I plan on coming very close to maxing out my dsm 450's with about 340whp, and Im sure fuel pressure is going to come into the mix</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt that you'll get 340WHP on those injectors. If you do then they'll be maxed out at a high fuel pressure . Those injectors run out at around 265-300whp on most b18's
Old 12-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Must do FPR when you upgrade fuel pump? (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How exactly do you raise/lower fuel pressure?

I plan on coming very close to maxing out my dsm 450's with about 340whp, and Im sure fuel pressure is going to come into the mix</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're not doing yourself much good having an adjustable FPR and no fuel pressure guage to tune it with.

BTW those 450's aren't going to get you 340whp. 550's are only good to about 350whp. I just ordered a set of 750's for myself.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if he cranks up the fuel pressure he can make 340... that is not an ideal situation though... it is along the same lines of using an FMU.