Notices

Multi-disc cluthes (TILTON vs RPS vs EXEDY)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi-disc cluthes (TILTON vs RPS vs EXEDY vs CLUTCH MASTERS)

Unfortunately, I don't believe the ACT clutch is gonna hold up to the new setup. So I was wondering, what are the pros and cons of the aforementioned clutches (pedal feel, streetability, cost, etc)?

Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

New setup: fully built big bore ls/vtec, ctr cams, full race kit with t3/t67 ho turbo... expecting 625 +/-

Modified by rondigs at 5:00 PM 7/8/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (rondigs)

nope... my act(6 puck/extreme pp) is no good at 610...

i heard exedy is most bolt-on and drive... no customization or adjustment... i heard tilton needs constant adjustment... not sure about rps though... hope that helps somewhat...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (fullracegsr)

Right now the car runs the ACT Full Face Street Disc with an Extreme Pressure Plate. It held up to 540hp/400tq. However, like you mentioned...its not gonna take 600+.
Thanks for the help Geoff seems to really like the exedy clutch. I'm just trying to get a few perspectives.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Just curious how often you drive your car and if you do drive it on the street. Im looking into similiar clutches and from what i have read a twin disk setup isnt gona be great if i plan on doing more than track driving on the car.
Also how many miles did you get out of your ACT ?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (spoolingb20)

I just asked this about the Exedy....so I hope this helps: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1268900

Also, its now sitting in my car at the shop. Hopefully the motor will be put back in this week (looking for 450-500 out of this turbo and then 600-650 out of the next turbo I buy).

If you can wait for like 2 weeks, I can report back to you how the exedy does for a daily driver.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (spoolingb20)

I kinda gave up on daily driving the car. It was a hard lesson, but over the last year I learned:

Its not if its gonna break...its when.

Bought a new tundra several months ago (gotta have something to tow the honda with. "just in case" it breaks)

Modified by rondigs at 11:16 AM 7/8/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=rondigs]Right now the car runs the ACT Full Face Street Disc with an Extreme Pressure Plate. It held up to 540hp/400tq.

mine didn't hold after 350 hp at the track using 24.5/9.5/13 slick launching the car at 7000 rpm
Old 07-08-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (11SECEG)

I've seen the Tiltons, they are a nice clutch, but do require constant attention. The Exedy twin disk is a VERY nice clutch.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:36 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (civicross)

Go with the Exedy Twin Disk
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (White Smoke)

i love my exedy. 10,000 mile on it so far no problems and ive put like 50 passes on it at the track
Old 07-08-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (vaporboy12)

I guess alot of people are using the exedy with good results. Last year, Tiltons were the big deal.
The exedy clutches are more affordable as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mentioned to my tuner that I was going to run a Tilton clutch for daily driving. When he heard that he steered me away from it and suggested that I go with the exedy instead. So that's what I'm going with.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:47 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (m R g S r)

wow, seems like I picked the right clutch then for daily driving and not having to give it constant attention

I feel lucky haha
Old 07-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (Dunc)

what about the clutchmaster twin disc. I haven't heard anything on it. I was considering Exedy vs clutchmaster.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I have not used any of them so far, but I am interested in this as well because I am going to need a clutch capable of holding a whole lot of power.

I have heard that Tiltons work well for holding the power, but are not very easy to work with...adjustment, etc.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Exedy Twin Disc.

I have heard a lot of good things about the RPS Twin Disc Carbon clutch as well. I don't know of anyone with a honda that uses them, but many crazy horsepower Supras use them. They are very expensive, but can hold pretty much any power you can throw at them and last a very, very long time since they are carbon. I looked into getting one for my car, but I have not bought it yet...they are like $3K...but last almost forever, so actually its worth it if you can afford it.

if you want more info about RPS clutches, then e-mail Ryan Woon at Wide Open Throttle Motorsports at WOTMRacing@aol.com...that's who I got the info from.

Anyway, good luck with it
Old 07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exedy twin disc, ill never run another clutch on my car
Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (Full-Race Geoff)

how much is the exedy twin disc?

is it carbon or do they make a carbon version?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes

The Tilton Carbon discs need to be warmed up before they catch well... My neighbor has a tripple tilton carbon in his supra and its a bitch to not stall out when he first starts the car.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 PM

RPS =
I love my exedy. Great pedal feel and really reliable.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (utahbmx)

my act 6 puck work great for a season and a half...
full season at 475hp/350tq...
half this season 550hp/398tq...
now with 610/445 the clutch slips up top...

i have lauched the **** out of my car and the clutch has held up great... even now up to fourth gear the clutch holds good... but as soon as i hit high boost the clutch just wont grab...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen the Tiltons, they are a nice clutch, but do require constant attention. The Exedy twin disk is a VERY nice clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh, what - we have run a tilton twin disk ceramic for over a year now in our t4 // sfwd car and it requires no attention when you install it correctly - pulled the clutch out at the end of last year to check the discs with close to 100 1/4 mile passes on it was still within spec and is still in the car to this day with no issues at all

i am very anxious to try out the carbon twin disc exedy as i feel that it will be a great all around clutch for its holding strength and price but still waiting on these to hit the market
Old 07-08-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (GSC Motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSC Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh, what - we have run a tilton twin disk ceramic for over a year now in our t4 // sfwd car and it requires no attention when you install it correctly - pulled the clutch out at the end of last year to check the discs with close to 100 1/4 mile passes on it was still within spec and is still in the car to this day with no issues at all

i am very anxious to try out the carbon twin disc exedy as i feel that it will be a great all around clutch for its holding strength and price but still waiting on these to hit the market</TD></TR></TABLE>

We run Tiltons in our race cars for Speedway, but they aren't drag cars. The main one is a 800hp late model, and that particular setup does require quite a bit of attention to the clutch.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

We run Tiltons in our race cars for Speedway, but they aren't drag cars. The main one is a 800hp late model, and that particular setup does require quite a bit of attention to the clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know a thing about those cars, etc so i can understand why you may need to give that a little more attention, thanks for clearing up what application you have routine maintenance on with the use of a tilton

but from our experience with the high horsepower honda's and supra's we have used tiltons with there were never any worries or maintenance
Old 07-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (GSC Motorsports)

RPS if you have the flow. Rob Smith has been researching clutch facing materials since 1997. Even before then, he was one of the Industry's first pioneers, building Junior Asper's EF hatch. That was back in 95. The logo hasn't changed since then, and neither has the man behind it. Not saying that others haven't also, but his company seems to be the only one that has taken the time and money to patent their designs, and for good reason. The RPS Billet Carbon uses a biillet clutch cover/basket and the disc facing is carbon, not semi-carbon or semi-metallic or semi-semi. Straight up, carbon on carbon. Six months at 1000 degrees F in the kiln...think about the energy costs associated with producing F1-level end products.

This clutch was engineered to be the last clutch you ever own, so if you're in it for the long haul, the RPS Billet-Carbon is the one. But you gotta remember, this clutch is for all the 400++ Honda Heads that want to drive their cars, with smooth engagement and a near-stock pedal feel, without breaking driveline parts.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Multi-disc cluthes (Armaan)

I have a RPS Carbon / Carbon Single disc and it hold 515whp and 342ft/lbs with
no problems. Now the pedal is a little heavy but it's something I'm use to.
Engagement is smooth and the more you slip and the hotter it gets the more it
grips. So far so good.

Quick Reply: Multi-disc cluthes (TILTON vs RPS vs EXEDY)