Notices

MSD External Coil? Will this remedy a toasted ignitor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD External Coil? Will this remedy a toasted ignitor?

Ok I got a dead ignitor and need a new ignitor, dizzy, or alternative solution. I can get an "MSD SS External Coil and Cap" for $75. My dizzy is like new but somehow my ignitor is dead. Will the MSD SS Coil fix my problem?

I mean- does the MSD replace the OEM coil AND ignitor Or will I still need a new ignitor even if i do get the External SS Coil?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 AM
New User

Default Re: MSD External Coil? Will this remedy a toasted ignitor? (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I got a dead ignitor and need a new ignitor, dizzy, or alternative solution. I can get an "MSD SS External Coil and Cap" for $75. My dizzy is like new but somehow my ignitor is dead. Will the MSD SS Coil fix my problem?

I mean- does the MSD replace the OEM coil AND ignitor Or will I still need a new ignitor even if i do get the External SS Coil?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you can't just use the external coil and use that cap. There are ways of bypassing the stock ignitor if you have an AEM EMS or also using an MSD , Cran or M&W ignition, contact Arturbo on here he knows how to bypass it using the M&W ignition sir. Do you have any type of aftermarket ignition system on the car now?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks boostfed,

nah car is 100% stock ignition right now, I just read a DIY on using some PCB circuitry as an ignitor bypass in conjunction with the MSD SS. The bypass was 100% homemade tho, are you familiar with this?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1456794
Old 09-25-2006, 07:08 AM
New User

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks boostfed,

nah car is 100% stock ignition right now, I just read a DIY on using some PCB circuitry as an ignitor bypass in conjunction with the MSD SS. The bypass was 100% homemade tho, are you familiar with this?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1456794</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not familiar with that one BUT Full-Race_Geoff about 3 years ago posted info on how to bypass the ignitor with an MSD and some circuitry he bought, I got one BUT then lost it and never bypassed my ignitor, I currently am running the MSD Billet Distributor set up with the external coil and coil driver/ignitor. The MSD ignitors have been going bad alot I hear unfortunately, there is also a way to bypass those too with my AEM EMS
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info, im totally an ignition noob sorry,

is what that DIY saying is that with the external SS coil and the bypass I can basically bypass the entire stock ignitor and coil? Or do I need the full 6AL setup?

Im looking for the cheapest most effective replacement for the stock coil and ignitor lol.

Im running s200b so i cant do any of your fancy AEMEMS tricks hehe
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 AM
New User

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good info, im totally an ignition noob sorry,

is what that DIY saying is that with the external SS coil and the bypass I can basically bypass the entire stock ignitor and coil? Or do I need the full 6AL setup?

Im looking for the cheapest most effective replacement for the stock coil and ignitor lol.

Im running s200b so i cant do any of your fancy AEMEMS tricks hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

I honestly don't know sir, Iknow you can bypass with an ignition box and with the AEM EMS, others can chime in and tell you if you can do it with just the external coil or not
Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

If you are set on MSD, I have one for sale

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1763561
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (SpeedingHatch)

for the record, you dont need an ems to run the M&W ignitioin and no ignitor set up that we sell. Stock computer works too.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 AM
New User

Default Re: (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the record, you dont need an ems to run the M&W ignitioin and no ignitor set up that we sell. Stock computer works too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well there you go
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

If it comes down to price...

$156 = new ignitor, genuine from online dealer
$179 = new dizzy from autozone w/core
$200 = msd AL6 from ebay
$??? = M&W stuff...I know it costs more than the above
$1000 = AEM EMS. Seriously, how many people really need this? NEED as in can't run their car without, not NEED as in WANT.

When it comes to reliability, or maybe sensability...

A genuine ignitor could last 20 years, but I've also heard the newer ones aren't the best.
Warrantied dizzy will technically last forever. But most people hate Autozone/similar.
MSD is obviously the cheapest player in thier game, and you get what you pay for. It usually works though, and can eliminate the ignitor.
M&W is a trusted name, and they bypass the weak link.
AEM apparently can do anything including run for the USA Presidency. lol, kidding. I can't see dropping a grand on anything besides a SERIOUS hobby.