Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Montanacivic's proposed D16Z6 turbo build - How it's going so far. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/montanacivics-proposed-d16z6-turbo-build-how-its-going-so-far-3331961/)

montanacivic 12-27-2018 03:16 PM

Montanacivic's proposed D16Z6 turbo build - How it's going so far.

so I had planned to stay with stock rods an pistons which may still happen BUT been kicking around running the Vitara pistons an rods. what's some decent hp these rods an pistons can handle?? I have seen 3-500hp my build will consist of delta 272 regrind, walbro 255, head work, dsm 450 injectors, said rods an pistons, stock crank, acl bearings, possibly a girdle but been hearing yes an no on that, as far as a turbo I haven't really decided yet, plan was to shoot for 200hp on a stock rebuild but sense I may need to replace the pistons why not milk it all out lol.. will be tuned on chrome (found a tuner 5 hours away that gave me a good deal to tune it so this build turned into lets make a super fast family sedan lmao.. would love to see your builds, ideas, turbo sizes ect

turboLScrx 12-27-2018 03:45 PM

re: Montanacivic's proposed D16Z6 turbo build - How it's going so far.

If your going to go through the trouble on tearing a engine apart I could not see installing a 10% gain set of pistons and rods. A set of eagle rods and Manley pistons are affordable these days. If this is you family car ( need to be dependable car ) I would be not go overboard. My d16z6 was stock with turbo and was very dependable using a basic turbo kit. Honda builds a very good engine and sometimes best left untouched unless your willing to go all out

DaX 12-27-2018 04:11 PM

The D16Z6 already has a girdle - no need to add one. I didn't go too deep into researching Vitara builds before I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do, but I have heard people making north of 400 hp doing a Vitara D16. There are a few good build threads in this forum for D16Z6's - search and read to see what others are doing.

Balor_Gr 12-27-2018 04:33 PM

Search " vitara custom rods" on ebay.
There is a guy selling ycp piston + custom lenth rods (as needes) for VERY
good prices.
Also forget about 440cc injectors.Youll need bigger like 700cc. Or used 550cc evo
injectors at leat.
Power wise that piston/rod combo will handle more than what your stock sleeves will hold.
Imo a good cheap AND effecrive combo would be to get a good 300-400 usd
TD05 from an evo and get bottom mount twin scroll mabifold for it.
This turbo will do 350whp with the internal wastegate so you also save money by not buyong external wastegate.
Plus its VERY spool happy turbo and a good match for the D16.

Txdragon 12-27-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by montanacivic (Post 51816498)
so I had planned to stay with stock rods an pistons which may still happen BUT been kicking around running the Vitara pistons an rods. what's some decent hp these rods an pistons can handle?? I have seen 3-500hp my build will consist of delta 272 regrind, walbro 255, head work, dsm 450 injectors, said rods an pistons, stock crank, acl bearings, possibly a girdle but been hearing yes an no on that, as far as a turbo I haven't really decided yet, plan was to shoot for 200hp on a stock rebuild but sense I may need to replace the pistons why not milk it all out lol.. will be tuned on chrome (found a tuner 5 hours away that gave me a good deal to tune it so this build turned into lets make a super fast family sedan lmao.. would love to see your builds, ideas, turbo sizes ect

I don't recommend a build with most of these components on a stock bottom end. It would be an incredible waste of money to only get 1/3rd of the potential of that Z6, even on a "budget build". Vitaras can see some power but, I can not sign on another cast piston. Don't skimp on pistons. Inexpensive forgies; Supertech. About 450 shipped from most sources, some cheaper, but need to pay shipping. Speedfactory offers a vitara piston and rod combo if that's absolutely your decision. Usually around the 500 mark.

What head work are you planning? Stock Z6 head is good to about 600hp before you really need to consider any work at all. 272 cam is a bit aggressive, I'd certainly say to swap out the valve springs here, regardless of going over rev limit. I'd say wait til you have your turbo picked out before choosing your cam anyway.

Go with..

Rods
Pistons
Bearings
ARP headstuds
Headgasket

T3 turbo kit
Cast manifold
2.5" or better exhaust

Engine management (Hondata S300 or Neptune RTP)

Clutch
Brakes

Optional: Intake manifold and throttle body.

Pick something other than the DSM injectors. Lots of extra work for what? There are many (better) options available that are plug and play.
My build is here, if you'd like to check it out!

montanacivic 12-28-2018 02:37 PM

i have been reading, only reason im looking at the Vitara pistons is there cheap an work, as far as the rods there speed factory no notch rods an for the price $250 for the rods an pistons I cant pass them up. after talking an reading this set up should do fine for what I plan to do. as far as cam that's what others have recommended but what cam do you guys recommend?? as far as head work, some porting an smoothing, for injectors the 450s can be had for dirt cheap but im all ears on a decent affordable injector

Txdragon 12-28-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by montanacivic (Post 51817427)
i have been reading, only reason im looking at the Vitara pistons is there cheap an work, as far as the rods there speed factory no notch rods an for the price $250 for the rods an pistons I cant pass them up. after talking an reading this set up should do fine for what I plan to do. as far as cam that's what others have recommended but what cam do you guys recommend?? as far as head work, some porting an smoothing, for injectors the 450s can be had for dirt cheap but im all ears on a decent affordable injector

Step 1- set goals
Step 2- set budget for goals
Step 3- Shop for parts that meet steps 1 and 2.

Cam depends on setup and should be the last thing selected, honestly. Injectors.. There's an affordable brand I found on Amazon I've had amazing luck with; Aus Injection. Practically plug and play, or solder their pigtails to your harness. Either or.
Headwork.. Depends on your goals. The Z6 head can benefit from nothing more aggressive than smoothing the casting defects and calling it a day. Maybe polish your exhaust, ut port matching and all that is wasted money. If you do it all yourself, you gain the experience.. At any rate, stock port Z6 head is good well past "fun grocery getter" power goals.
I have done a little port work on mine, but my block is waiting to be machined for CPs and I am partially retired and bored during downtime. Lol!
There's nothing wrong, per se, with your piston and rod choice, it's just that I personally can't vouch for cast pistons anymore. Let's face it, shit happens and when it happens to the pistons, you lose a little bit of your soul along with them..

Autoworks 12-29-2018 04:16 AM

A camshaft/valve train upgrade is not necessary at all for a 2-300hp D series build unless what you already have is damaged.. I would put that budgeted money elsewhere to get better parts.