Notices

moates.net burn1 problems he wont reply my emails need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moates.net burn1 problems he wont reply my emails need help

hey all thanks for lookin
i got a burn1 from moates.net a couple months back and it worked fine on my home computer..everything worked with no errors and then over last weekend i brought it down south with me in case i wanted to show my friends some **** and use i...i was very carefull with it i know this and never ended up using it...
now when i get back home it doenst work on my new laptop runnin xp and doesnt work on the old computer runin98

ive heard of people havin problems with these with reading and erasing chips and thats how mine started ****** up on me now its just always check connectivity errors

i cant get him to respond my emails i went through him for the good customer service rep but it looks like ima have to go to the ebay burners anyways cause this is the only problem in my way of starting to tune my car and i deliver pizzas so a tune asap would be a beautiful thing

anyone got any ideas before i give up on this guys **** and buy another one???
must say though had very quick service to get **** here and good instructions thats why i paid more for it but this is stupid i emailed him last week just twice i aint being an ******* just tryin to move foward here

thanks anyone that looked
Old 03-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: moates.net burn1 problems he wont reply my emails need help (neEven)

What kind of connectivity errors are you having? What software are you using? TunerPro? I could never get mine to work with the Moates software but it works fine with TunerPro... so who knows...

It's been a while since I first got mine going so I can't remember exactly what the process is... can you uninstall and reinstall it?

Did you search around on the Uberdata web site?

You will probably get a better response from them...

Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: moates.net burn1 problems he wont reply my emails need help (EJ1 wilcox)

yea i made a post on ubers forums also
ive never heard of tunerpro ill try that out and see how that works...his software worked for me origionally so i never really looked around

Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you posted the error, we maybe would be able to give you a better answer....
Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Yea..i got my Burn1 about a week ago...
My car is not ready to be tuned yet..still have to put it together but, i was playing around with the burner and i have a reburnable chip with a basemap on it...so i put it in the burner (the right way) and i could read the chip just fine..but for some reason i cant get it to erase on my home computer or my laptop (moates software on both).
So you guys think this is a burner issue or could it be a chip issue?
I already ordered a few more chips just incase its a chip issue.

Instead of buying a new burner (already) can i just leave the Ostrich in the car the whole time and just use that? Or do i absolutly need a burner?

Where can i find TunerPro?

-Rick
Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: (Die-Laughing)

@neEven:

It would help if you explained in what way it doesn't work...and in non-runon sentence form if you can. If you can, reinstall windows (both) and see if it still doesn't work.

@Die-Laughing:

Are you sure that the chip supports burning? The AT29C256, AM29F040, and 27SF512 chips are the ones it can read and burn, all other chips are read-only if compatable at all. I'm assuming you bothered to pay the additional $6 for a burnable chip from moates.net?

I've only tried my moates burner on WinXP SP2 so far, and only used the burn1 app. Everything works, reads/writes flash chips fine, as well as reading uv eprom chips.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (HiProfile)

Yes..I have a AT29C256 and is also the ones i ordered.

My burner reacts the same on WinXP and Winmillenium(00)

Im not sure where to go from here...
I think im just gonna try to uninstall and reinstall everything and see if that works...and if it doesnt then ill have to wait for my chips to arrive and see if its a chip problem??

Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Die-Laughing)

Seems like almost everytime I first plug in the moates to the usb it won't recognize on my laptop unless I have the device manager window open when plugging it in. It's weird. Also, if I'm running TEWBLOG at the same time and close out of TEWBLOG sometimes I will have to unplug my serial cable for it to recognize the burner even though I never unplugged the burner Both use different ports, I have reinstalled everything and have just gotten used to it. It's a Pentium 3 with xp so I know computer performance isn't the issue.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: (5thgencivic)

Not sure if you guys have tried it, but you need to configure the com ports everytime you plug and unplug your BURN1 or Ostrich. But my BURN1 has worked fine on my laptop with WinXP for a while now. I just check my com ports everytime I plug it in and make sure it's set to COM 1-4.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (BlueShadow)

also if your online using dial up at the same time, it gives you an error due to using the same com port.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Re: (Flexmyrex)

hey everyone thanks for the replys and help
sorry about the run on sentences im retarted and thats how i type a lot
i think i just got this fixed by uninstaling and deleating anythin infolved with flahburn. then i reinstalled a newer version i found and it looks like it works.
ima try to go over to uberdata 1.7 now so i can start datalogging.
thanks again
ill post how it all goes
Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: (5thgencivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems like almost everytime I first plug in the moates to the usb it won't recognize on my laptop unless I have the device manager window open when plugging it in. It's weird. Also, if I'm running TEWBLOG at the same time and close out of TEWBLOG sometimes I will have to unplug my serial cable for it to recognize the burner even though I never unplugged the burner Both use different ports, I have reinstalled everything and have just gotten used to it. It's a Pentium 3 with xp so I know computer performance isn't the issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea man just these past few days i got my ostrich and datalogging through uber working and it seems like i have been playing musical com ports. They are always getting mixed up and not working right, but when they do its so sweet
Old 03-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re:

Damn...i still cant get my Burn1 to work correctly...it will do everything but erase and program chips.
everytime i open it up ..it pops up in COM2.

maybe im just doing it wrong?
i installed the drivers via the disc that moates sent me with the burn1 and ostrich.
then i plugged it in..popped up in COM2...reads the chip,checks for blank chip (not black because of basemap on it) and i got 2 extra AT29c256 chips from moates..and when i put one of those in the burner and it said the chip wasnt blank..
can i use a different source for my drivers? TunerPro..or anything else?
this is wierd..i dont know what to do.

im still new to all of this because i have never actually used it...i just have all the stuff to do it (my cars not ready for it) so right now im just playing around with it.

Please...does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
in the meantime ill go to the Uber forum

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you fallow these steps VERY carefully when installing the software:

There are different things you need to do depending on what opperating system your using.

http://www.moates.net/document...id=16

http://www.moates.net/document...id=13

http://www.moates.net/document...id=15

That should help ya guys out...hopefully.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solved..

OK!
i know now what the problem was for everyone who views this in the future.

my chip was installed incorrectly...the way i was told to install it was (little dot/arrow on chip goes towards the lever on the burner)..which i did,i guess they neglected to mention that the chip is supposed to be positioned as far away from lever as possible...this is why it would only do half of what it was supposed to, i had the chip in the middle of the area of possible places for it to be positioned on the burner.

woohoo...im an idiot.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have it on my laptop with 98 and on my desktop with XP and ti works great
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solved.. (Die-Laughing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Die-Laughing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK!
i know now what the problem was for everyone who views this in the future.

my chip was installed incorrectly...the way i was told to install it was (little dot/arrow on chip goes towards the lever on the burner)..which i did,i guess they neglected to mention that the chip is supposed to be positioned as far away from lever as possible...this is why it would only do half of what it was supposed to, i had the chip in the middle of the area of possible places for it to be positioned on the burner.

woohoo...im an idiot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In other words you didn't read the instructions.

Craig Moates usually includes an installation CD with his hardware when you purchase it. The CD has good instructions on how to install, setup and use the BURN 1. They are actually hyperlinks on the CD so make sure you are viewing it on a computer that has internet capabilities. If you ordered through moates.net you should have had a CD and if you had opened the BURN 1 files (links) they would lead you to this:

DRIVER INSTALL
BURN 1 INSTALL
BURN 1 USE

EDIT: the instructions even have nice pictures for you to look at.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solved..

Yes...my bad.

I did read through the read-me files that come on the cd, and i did see that picture several times, i guess i was more concerned with how the chip was placed "vertically" as opposed to how far forward and back it had to be placed.
Human error in this case.

so does this mean..
that the people i've read about online that were having the same problem i was having had thier chip in the right way, but they were having the same exact problem i was having but with a different cause? or is it possible that some of them had the chip placed in the burner too close to the lever when it is supposed to be placed as far away from the lever as possible?

im just glad that i got this figured out
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Die-Laughing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so does this mean..
that the people i've read about online that were having the same problem i was having had thier chip in the right way, but they were having the same exact problem i was having but with a different cause? or is it possible that some of them had the chip placed in the burner too close to the lever when it is supposed to be placed as far away from the lever as possible?

im just glad that i got this figured out </TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be...but a solid CEL or bad burn can also be caused by incorrect COM ports, putting the chip in backwards in the burner or ECU and having the wrong things checked in the MISC tab (i.e knock for a P28).
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok you figured it out. I was just about to explain it to you hehe. I did the same thing for a few minutes until I realized that nothing on the chip was actually changing.

Also: don't unplug the chips from the ECU with the ignition on. I just fried one doing that hehe.