Notices

Missing 2 bolts on my exhaust manifold. Why is this happening?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing 2 bolts on my exhaust manifold. Why is this happening?

Alright. I have a peakboost Ramhorn manifold. Running a B18c stock block wih ARP head studs and a Garrett t3/t04e 60 trim .63 a/r at 10 PSI.

The top and center two bolts snapped off at the head flange on my manifold. They didn't come loose, they literally snapped off where the bolt screws onto the stud, and now there's about 1/2 - 1 cm of stud left that I might be able to remove with vice grips...

I'm guessing it's causing a minor boost leak since you can see carbon build up on the head right above the manifold's head flange.

Here's something I whipped up in paint.exe because I'm at work and don't have the car with me to take a photo.

What would be causing this to happen? Should I upgrade to ARP studs, even though it would be rather difficult to do with this type of manifold? Lock-tite? I am also guessing that this has also resulted in a slightly warped head flange, so I'll have to have it milled out and flattened so it seats onto the head properly....
Attached Images  

Last edited by 8YourV8; 11-29-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: misspelled "milled".
Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Missing 2 bolts on my exhaust manifold. Why is this happening?

the excess vibration and weight can cause them to loosen and/or snap. do you have a flex section in your exhaust?

also, you may have developed an exhaust leak. but since the area before the turbo is no pressurized, it isnt technically a boost leak. a pre-turbo exhaust leak will cause slower spool time though so you want to get that fixed ASAP
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
the excess vibration and weight can cause them to loosen and/or snap. do you have a flex section in your exhaust?

also, you may have developed an exhaust leak. but since the area before the turbo is no pressurized, it isnt technically a boost leak. a pre-turbo exhaust leak will cause slower spool time though so you want to get that fixed ASAP
Ahh I see. Thanks. Yeah it is spooling a bit later than normal, but not really by that much. Will get this fixed within the next couple weeks. I'll post an update when I do. Working on some other things first.

And yeah, I have a flex pipe on my DP. (Purchased the DP from Full-race)

What is your preferred setup though, stock studs/bolts or ARP bolts? Is there really a difference when it comes to an exhaust manifold?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Were they torqued to spec? It seems like a lot of people over torque those bolts and they end up snapping pretty easy.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is FI spec the same as NA/stock? If so then yes. I've not read anywhere or heard anything about a turbo manifold needing more or less.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is due to the manifold flange at the head heating up and expanding too much, thus breaking off the bolts
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heating up too much? Would that indicate high EGT/Running lean?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you pull the manifold off drill the attach holes a few sizes up in the manifold that way it will give it a little room to move around. I dont think it should be expanding and popping bolt heads off. use c5a anti seize when you install bolts.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeLucia
This is due to the manifold flange at the head heating up and expanding too much, thus breaking off the bolts
I knew that much, but that would lead me to believe that re-torquing those bolts while the manifold is hot (which in my knowledge is supposed to be done?) would cause even more breakage. No?

My car runs on the rich side BTW. I don't have my data log sheets from my last tune atm, but I plan on going for another hour or two on the dyno once I finish all the crap I'm doing these next couple weeks.

I'll let everyone know how things work out after everything is finished. Thanks again for all the responses.