Notices

Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out!

Ok heres my setup,, 98 gsr in a 93 si hatch,, INTERNALS ARE COMPLETELY STOCK!, DRAG gen 3 kit, TIAL gate, turbonetics t3/to4e 57 trim, .63 a/r, skunk2 intake mani,, 2.5 DP to 3 inch custom exhaust, msd 6a, ss coil, NGK wires, str rail, 550cc injectors, with hondata 2b,,TUNING BY BOOSTED-HYBRID,.
ok so the car put down 317whp and 207tq @ 9.5 psi or so... now the first passi took with boosted-hyrid the car threwdown 308,,, the second 317, then on the 3rd i got some misfiring and i lost like 60 fuggin hp!!! so we changed my bkr6e's to a set of 7's gapped at about .030 and the car pulled 316whp, ok no prob,,,,then next run got some misfiring issues and my **** lost crazy power,,,, jeff suggested the msd took a **** on me,,, ao i put the stock coil back into my car,replaced the rotor, and cap with new ones, and the car still misses during 4th gear pulls,,,,,, any other suggestions,, jeff is looking over my graphs to see anything unusual,,, but tonight when i re-gaped my plugs for the stock ignition, i noticed that jeffs gaping tool had my plugs at about .035 or more, so that might have been an issue,, i dont know,,, does anybody have issues with msd and hondata??? let me know
thanks
Dave
Old 10-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out! (DLOTYPER)

try an 8 plug or check ignitor?
Old 10-08-2003, 01:15 AM

thats why i was asking about the ignitor bypass thing, but i thought if the ignitor went the car would not run?? if you have aol, im me, turbohatch85
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 AM

we have some mutual friends, i live a block away from YAS,, we been cool for a minute now, he cant believe the hp with a stock block and head,,, stock headgasket to,
Old 10-08-2003, 01:19 AM

what plug number bkr8e?? let me know about that
Old 10-08-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out! (DLOTYPER)

go with ngk pt# 1095 which are bcp7es-11. Gap them at least .030.

I'm pretty sure the problem is your spark plug gap. It's happend to me a couple of times. If you gap them too big, even with a msd, "the boost tends to blow out the spark."

On a boost car try to stay .030 or under. On higher boost applications I like to go lower and offcourse use even colder plugs.

Low boost cars, anything < 14psi, use ngk pt#1095
else
use ngk pt #5820
Old 10-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out! (ekb18c)

We put the 7's in on the dyno gapped at .028", didnt make a difference. I am very sure its not spark plugs, it to irratic to be plugs.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice numbers, on a stock block

To me it sounds like spark plug gap, but I doubt it being it was checked prior to the dyno.

Not to thread jack, but I do have a question for Boosted Hybrid, do you do tuning for NJ people? Also do you do turbo installs?

Thanxs, and good #'s
Old 10-08-2003, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out! (COOKIEPUSS)

gap is the 1st thing i thought of becuase i had the same plauging prob.
Next is to check the igntion stuff, coil, igniter, wires is prob the 1st thing i woudl check after plugs.
Its a bithc to do , but check it out.
Is it thorwing codes for random missfire?
I had missfires becuase of my AEM fpr, and needed to change the orrfice in it to a bigger one to get a beeter flow. Not sure if that helps, but those are the 1st things i would check
Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 AM

no codes for misfires at all,,,,im stumped here, but im gonna replace the internal coil again, the wires and the plugs and let you know,,,
Old 10-08-2003, 09:59 AM

i also think the problem here is gapping, i use those little half dollar sized p"pro-gapper" things, no when jeff gappped my **** at the dyno he said it was .030 at one point, when i checked the yesterday i got .035 on my little gapper, the variations have to do with how many times you used the gapper and metal that missing off it,, anybody know any better gapping tool besides that jacobs one that like 40 bucks??
Old 10-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DLOTYPER)

i use the .35 cenbt gapper from the autoparts store. should be pretty well on. if its at 35mm thats the prob . i can tell you know once i started getting over 100hp over stock i started noticing probs with gaps having to be hella tight. Same thing with my nitrous too. even with the MSD, it needed tight *** gaps.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Change your plugs and wires. They aren't expensive, so I'll change that first. And fresh plugs and wires are always good for the motor. Read the plugs to see how your engine is running. It could give you clues as to why your engine misfires.
Then check your ignitor and see if they are bad. Ignitor from Honda is expensive, so you can always borrow one from your friend's car to test it out first before you buy one.
The next thing to check after that would be the distributor itself. Check to see if they have burnt marks or powder on it. If so, change the distributor.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out! (green_GSR)

well the fueling and timing should be dead on seeming it just got tuned 2 days ago .
what year is the motor ? orig dist and everything in it ? that could be a prob. dists, coils and ignitors go bad alot on hondas, we ahve a shitload around at all times for a reason. Also i doubt this is it , but an injector not firing right will cause that , My friends did thst this weekend at Etown . one of his injectors clips came off from wheel hop and wasnt firing one of the cylinders.

Again these might not be the prob, but deff good spots to check
Old 10-08-2003, 02:28 PM

im gonna try gapping my plugs at about .025 and see h owthat works out,,,, i thought that if the ignitot went bad, the car would not even start?? i wasnt sure if there was an area in between broken and going bad,, i thought it was either dead and not running or good, with the ignitor,,,,, also any other signs in the dist, that i could look for for problems?? when i had the msd in there i noticed the white power wire from the msd looked like it was burnt a little on the outside,,,, i dont know im looking over everything tonight,,,,,thanks guys for all the info anything else???
Old 10-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dave, do you have an external coil? My blaster ss just went bad a couple of days ago. I never had good luck with MSD
Old 10-08-2003, 02:57 PM
New User

Default Re: (Chrome Pipes)

the msd is totally unnecessary. check the wires if you haven't already. grab a new set of ngks. but before anything, run a .25 gap. you can go lower, but you shouldn't be misfiring running .25. do that first. if not, try a 8 heat range plug gapped to .25.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jinxproof99)

My car is missing as well. It was due to the bad headgasket. Very small leak, but it was leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. We thought it was the plugs, but it wasn't.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:25 AM

well i looked into the headgasket leaking, compression test showed 200 across the board, no smoke at all,,, i mean on the dyno the first 2 pulles were over 308, then 317,, the 3rd we noticed some misfiring, was like 260 something,,, then with some bkr7e's we pulled a 4th time and got back to 316,, so i dont think its the gasket,, this is a sporadic thing here, which leads me to believe it has something to maybe do with the ignitor,,,,or the internal coil,,,, by the way jay im running the stock ignition again here,,,,
Old 10-09-2003, 01:37 AM

can somebody also show a detailed diagram of where the ignitor is in the distributor>? im trying to change that asap, just to trouble shoot everything here,
Old 10-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org or hondaautomotiveparts.com . They have all the diagrams for anything you could need.

Ben
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ignitor is located inside the distributor. It's the small "chip" (approx. 8cm x 8cm x 1.5cm) with 4 connector pins sticking out. Take out the cap, the plastic rotor, and the plastic shield. Then you should be able to see the ignitor located inside the dist. housing being held by a couple of screws. Make sure you label your wires when you disconnect the ignitor so you won't run into problems when you put everything back together.

When the ignitor starts going bad, it doesn't mean the engine won't start. It'll just misfire randomly at first, and the misfire will get worse the more you drive. And eventually, your car won't start.

If you have a bad distributor, you should some powder buildup on the dist. rotor and inside the housing. This means the distributor is worn and it needs replacement. A worn distributor will also contribute to engine misfire.

Also check all your wires and see if they are tight. Loose wires will also contribute to misfires.

MSD (with MSD coil) is notorious for frying ignitors. So I would tend to think your ignitor is the source of the problem.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (green_GSR)

Has MSD fixed the problem yet? If they are notorious for burning up ignitors is there a upgrade you can do to the factory ignitor.

Andy
Old 10-09-2003, 08:58 AM

im switching distributors with my fiend today then ill let you guys know whats up later tonight, thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-10-2003, 01:12 AM

well guys i switched out my dist. with my boys **** and i got almost the same situation that happened on the dyno,,first pull was ok,,,, then i went on the highway and the car did the same **** under about 9psi at around 7k,,,, i dont know what to do im totally stumped here, im gonna buy a completely rebuilt dist. and see whats up,,,,,,anything else, or any other ideas????

Quick Reply: Misfiring issues after 317whp on internally stock gsr,, help me out!