Notices

Middle of turbo build, questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 Middle of turbo build, questions

Motor : b18b1 60 trim turbo, front mount, 3" downpipe to 2.25 catback , 450cc injectors

I plan on getting a 1g dsm bov, after I mount the BOV on the charging pipe closest to the TB, and run the appropriate vacuum lines, do I need to do anything else? do these bov's require a spring like a wastegate? Also on the 1g dsm BOVS, the large piping coming out from the side, is that where the air is released? I think stock dsms have recirc tubes, which I'm thinking what this is for. If I don't want to recirc, I just leave the large pipe open?

also, when I try to push in the valve on my waste gate (tial sport with 7lb spring) I have to use all of my strength to push in the valve just a fraction, is this normal? Idk what 7lbs of force feels like with my thumb, maybe my GF knows.

I hooked up the oil cooling line where the oil sensor is, can I run this line up near the valve cover? I think I read that you should not run the line up, and have it flat or going down, I just saw pics of lines go up and over the valve cover.

I'm going to install a 60 trim turbo, and keep the 7lb spring in, I have 450cc's to install. Should I install the injectors before I drive the 5 miles to the tune shop or install them once I get there? I don't want to damage the motor.

Also, would I benefit from a 70mm tb on 10 lbs? And do I require a larger MAF with 10lbs of boost, or should I just keep the tb stock?

I appreciate any and all replies.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Middle of turbo build, questions

Yes, the large pipe is where the air is released. Recirculating it will quiet it down, but it's not needed unless you're running a draw-through MAF setup. Since your car doesn't have a MAF< it's not required.

Can't help you on the wastegate question, I've never really tried to push on mine. Try hooking it up to an air pressure line and that should solve your question.

I think you're thinking about drain lines. Since the oil is drained out of the turbo via gravity it's important to have the line as straight and vertical as possible, that should cause no problems.

If you install the 450's without modifying your base map your car will run horribly rich. I would just leave the stock fuel setup in there and drive extremely gently to the tune shop. Disconnect an intercooler pipe if you want to prevent any boost from getting to the motor, but you should be able to make it 5 miles without seeing any boost at all just fine.

Probably wouldn't benefit from a larger TB on that setup quite yet, money could be better spent elsewhere.

Glad to hear you've decided to abort the idea to run the T72, you'll be much happier with this setup.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your post.

I am talking about the oil feed line. I believe its pressurized so I can route that line up and over the valve cover right? I know that the return line must go straight to the pan since gravity will drain the oil.

I need more info on how to install a fuel injector resistor for my DSM blue top 450s
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes a 7lb spring is hard to push in with your thumb thats normal. the oil feed line u can run anywhere u like but out of sight would be better than straight over the valve cover. if u research the resistor box u will find step by step instructions on here, its really simple to do once u find the instructions.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the reply. and yes, I've learned a lot in the passed hour, but I am still unsure what wires go where. If you can find more details instructions for me that would be great, Ive been searching for about an hour now.

BOV question, whats the dif between a dual piston and single piston? do BOVS use springs? do I need to know what kind of spring is in the BOV before running the car? I thought it would be plug and play
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

finally found useful info on BOV's. plug it into the intake manifold, and the waste gate, call it a day

now this damn resistor wiring.. how do you tell what kind of dsm injectors you have? i have 450ccs, but how do you tell if they were in a turbo'ed car, or a N/A car, or does it not matter?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
finally found useful info on BOV's. plug it into the intake manifold, and the waste gate, call it a day
Don't do that last part.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wastegate goes to the nipple on the cold side of the turbo.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right, guess i got bad info or misread, good thing I'm saying what Im going to do. besides, wastegate only has one vacuum line, which I knew went to the turbo cold side.

is my stock MAF okay for 10lbs on a 60 trim?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what my oil return flange looks like, the hole is that small, is this normal, or should the drain be the same size? i'm hearing this hole can put too much oil in the turbo, then I hear the hole keeps the oil stabilized so the bearings are sufficiently lubricated at all times
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is not your return flange. it is a feed flange.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I may be backwards, I don't have the turbo yet so I haven't tried to align them up. Is this small hole normal?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
wastegate goes to the nipple on the cold side of the turbo.
IF there is one there. That tends to lead to a lot of boost spikes occasionally depending upon the rest of the system.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

This is what my oil return flange looks like, the hole is that small, is this normal, or should the drain be the same size? i'm hearing this hole can put too much oil in the turbo, then I hear the hole keeps the oil stabilized so the bearings are sufficiently lubricated at all times
Don't use that plate. throw it away, please.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM

right, guess i got bad info or misread, good thing I'm saying what Im going to do. besides, wastegate only has one vacuum line, which I knew went to the turbo cold side.

is my stock MAF okay for 10lbs on a 60 trim?
You do not have a MAF. The stock MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and keeps a constant reading on manifold vacuum. The computer reads the info from MAP sensor, Oxygen sensor, and temperature sensor and regulates the fuel accordingly

The answer for your purposes is no, not really. If you can get a better MAP for the right engine management system. simply because it is 10psi doesn't mean it won't kick you into limp mode because of the amount of airflow that the intake manifold sees.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well instead of just telling to throw it away, how about help me out and tell me what I should get.....?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You do not have a MAF. The stock MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and keeps a constant reading on manifold vacuum. The computer reads the info from MAP sensor, Oxygen sensor, and temperature sensor and regulates the fuel accordingly

The answer for your purposes is no, not really. If you can get a better MAP for the right engine management system. simply because it is 10psi doesn't mean it won't kick you into limp mode because of the amount of airflow that the intake manifold sees.
ah gotcha, what map sensor should I purchase? starting at 7-10lbs, will work my way up down the road.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

well instead of just telling to throw it away, how about help me out and tell me what I should get.....?
I'm saying to throw it away so that you don't even think about using towards something NOW or later. You need the correct feed fitting, plain and simple. For that turbocharger you need to measure whether or not you are a 1/8th" or 1/4". There are over 5 different cartridges used on the T3/T04E 60 trim from 3 main companies so no one can guess for you as to which one you have until you measure.

In addition, you need to understand a bit more the differences between a DSM (as these seem to be your points of reference) and a Honda in terms of turbocharging. They can use some of the same parts but not without a bit of work to them, such as using a resistor pack because of the difference in impedence, and using another BOV outside of a 1G, because even if a DSM guy with a 14b turbo uses it at 20psi, that doesn't mean it has the same airflow as your turbocharger at 10psi. Different turbos have different airflow rates even if they run the same amount of boost pressure. Without ensureing that, you'll cause more harm than good.

For the 14b and 16g guys that ran those BOVs, they would leak after about 30lbs/min-33lbs/min. So they would literally "Crush" the top part of the diaphram so that the spring would hold pressurized airflow going into the intake chamber. You'll be over 40lbs/min on a T3/T04E 60 trim at 10psi of boost pressure. so, even if you crushed it, you might leak a bit and lose power anyway. Even a used TiAL or GReddy RS or something of that caliber would be better than a 1G DSM (And I've owned a few of those). Shall I go on?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

ah gotcha, what map sensor should I purchase? starting at 7-10lbs, will work my way up down the road.

Thanks
Either an older school GM 3 bar MAP sensor, and Omnipower 3bar map (it replaces the one you have directly) or one from even Hondata.

Which engine management are you using?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since my last post, I now understand how to wire the resistor box, and I purchased a greddy rs blow off valve. I know the car was chipped before I purchased it. I am having it dyno tuned because I have never done any tuning myself. I would try but I don't want to blow my motor.

I am trying to look on how to install the gm 3 bar map sensor but all the links I found are dead.

Will it be safe to install 450's and drive to get it tuned? If not, I will just install them and have the car towed
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, do I need to run extra vacuum to the crank case? I read this in another thread, just want to make sure. I'm getting close to finishing my build, so lots of questions are coming up.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. I am having it dyno tuned because I have never done any tuning myself. I would try but I don't want to blow my motor.
because that tells us what ems you are going to be running....
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
because that tells us what ems you are going to be running....
ever thought that I am so unknowledgeable about software for hondas that I dont have a ****ing clue?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do u have an obd1 ecu that u are just going to have chipped?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM

ever thought that I am so unknowledgeable about software for hondas that I dont have a ****ing clue?
That will be important and even more important than what software you're on. Get to know this stuff, as much as you can before you call your perspective tuner and ask him these same questions in which he'll hang up on you rather quickly.

Quick Reply: Middle of turbo build, questions