Notices

Methanol injection for safety reasons? How to tune for it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Methanol injection for safety reasons? How to tune for it?

I plan on running a B18A/B turbo setup, forged internals, but with the stock sleeves, in my 1990 DX or 1991 Si (not sure yet ). Anyway I plan on staying conservative and tuning for around 350whp on my high boost/track setting, mid 200's on low boost/street.

The reason I would like to run methanol injection is just because I like to be safe and would like to know that I can beat on the car a little harder than normal. However I want the car to be completely tuned for just regular pump gas, being as if the methanol system shuts down for some reason I don't want to blow the engine. In return I'm sure I'd shoot for 380whp or so, since that is still considered safe by most on stock sleeves.

My idea was to run just a normal dump style with a pressure activated switch. On my low boost setting the methanol wouldn't be used at all and on my high boost setting it would only activate close to full boost. My question is how to I go about tuning for it? Can I just tune it extremely safe on pump gas then just straight add the Methanol. I know it will lean out the engine due to the denser air charge but by how much? Will it require me to tune extremely rich? I guess if I only activate it at high boost levels I can just make it rich at those levels and if something ever happens with the injection the car would just be really rich up top until it was fixed.

Any input would be appreciated.

By the way it will be run off Hondata.

Cliff notes: I want to run methanol for safety, not to push power limits, how do I tune for it if I don't plan on spraying it all the time.