Notices

Mechanical Oil temp install on turbo b16

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Oil temp install on turbo b16

I'm interested in installing a oil temp gauge on my turbocharged b16. I have two ideas concerning where to mount the temperature sending unit, and wouldnt mind some feedback on them. One idea is to purchase an oilfilter adapter and install the sending unit in that. Another idea is to put a "T" fitting on my oil return line and attach the sending unit to the T. My thought is that if the oil temp is being read immediately after the turbo that it would give me a more accurate reading of the oil temp of the turbo. My main concern is that the oil from the turbo not get too hot. Does anyone have a feedback on these 2 ideas? If i install the oil temp at the oil filter, will fluxuations in temp (due to turbo usage) be readable, or will they be damped out because the unit is so far away from the turbo?

thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Mechanical Oil temp install on turbo b16 (94turbodelsol)

any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Mechanical Oil temp install on turbo b16 (94turbodelsol)

you should run oil pressure instead, its more useful... better yet EGT, at least you can use EGT for tuning and safety, oil temp is directly related to load, so you will be able to tell more from EGT or oil pressure than oil temp. ITs you car these are just my opinions... do what you gotta do.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mechanical Oil temp install on turbo b16 (fastrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should run oil pressure instead, its more useful... better yet EGT, at least you can use EGT for tuning and safety, oil temp is directly related to load, so you will be able to tell more from EGT or oil pressure than oil temp. ITs you car these are just my opinions... do what you gotta do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not a answer to your question but I agree, oil pressure is more important than oil pressure, as long as your car is running normal temps you are good, get a oil pressure gause. a engine and a turbo will survive on hot oil, but they will die with no oil. oil pressure