Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   mechanical or electric boost guage (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/mechanical-electric-boost-guage-3249961/)

big.turbo.daddy 06-06-2015 09:34 AM

mechanical or electric boost guage

I wanted to know what kind of boost gauge you guys running and if it electric or mechanical and why? Am debating on what to get and which one is easier to install

Geis 06-06-2015 01:03 PM

Re: mechanical or electric boost guage

inb4 needles being easier to look at

viper_boy403 06-06-2015 04:14 PM

he said electronic, not digital. You can have an electronic gauge with an analog display. I've always used electronic (peak recall, overboost warning, no vacuum lines to run inside, etc) but analog gauges do tend to react faster.

yungkhmer 06-06-2015 04:28 PM

i love my AEM tru boost (digital) matches my AEM wideband perfectly. Install took me about 45 to an hr installing both gauges. I can change boost levels in the car pretty quickly.

efHondefender 06-06-2015 05:30 PM

get a mechanical and save a bunch of money. If you need any kind of recall, etc., you should be looking at data logs anyway off of the map.

big.turbo.daddy 06-06-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by viper_boy403 (Post 50383913)
he said electronic, not digital. You can have an electronic gauge with an analog display. I've always used electronic (peak recall, overboost warning, no vacuum lines to run inside, etc) but analog gauges do tend to react faster.

On electronic guages do you need a map sensor i saw you need one on a post?

big.turbo.daddy 06-06-2015 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by yungkhmer (Post 50383928)
i love my AEM tru boost (digital) matches my AEM wideband perfectly. Install took me about 45 to an hr installing both gauges. I can change boost levels in the car pretty quickly.

I was looking at some aem ones thought of buying them but not sure which to get yet

viper_boy403 06-06-2015 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by big.turbo.daddy (Post 50384069)
On electronic guages do you need a map sensor i saw you need one on a post?

they come with their own sensor

yungkhmer 06-07-2015 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by big.turbo.daddy (Post 50384071)
I was looking at some aem ones thought of buying them but not sure which to get yet

aem tru boost.

wantboost 06-07-2015 05:52 AM

Iirc tru boost is a gauge and boost controller in one. Totally useless if your ems supports boost control. Personally I won't run aem products unles there's no other choice. They don't really "make" anything, just license existing products from other companies and put their name on with their packaging. Only reason I'm using an aem standalone on my accord is I got it for free.

Typically mechanical gauges are cheaper and have less components that could fail. However most mechanical gauges aren't 100% accurate. Elevation, temperature, humidity, and age can all skew the readings.

Electronic gauges are hyper accurate, at least the name brand ones that use stepper motors are, an unlike the mechanical gauges this doesn't change over time unless you have an issue. That being said they are more expensive, and have more parts to damage: sensor, sensor harness, etc. while like said above it is best to view datalogs for info, having a gauge with a peak recall function can be useful for adjusting boost levels as well as diagnosing simple problems faster than having to hookup a laptop, datalog, and review. Things like boost creep, spikes, under boost conditions, surge/choke, and fluctuations can all be seen by simply hitting a button and comparing the max to what your setting is supposed to be.

TheShodan 06-07-2015 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50384381)
Iirc tru boost is a gauge and boost controller in one. Totally useless if your ems supports boost control.

If you want the EMS to do that. Some of us don't for a variety of reasons. That's why TurboSmart had created these years ago.

dpetro1 06-08-2015 07:41 AM

i just run a mechanical autometer, gets the job done. its really just for reference, the s300 datalogs are used for fine tuning.

i couldnt justify a $125 price difference for electric boost gauge. my oil and water are electric though

LightningTeg 06-08-2015 08:21 AM

I've never had a mechanical boost gauge that was very accurate.

TheShodan 06-08-2015 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg (Post 50385713)
I've never had a mechanical boost gauge that was very accurate.

After 12 years, my old school GReddy mechanical gauges (Same manufacturer as Defi) still is on point with my management to .01BAR

Autometer Sport Comp series did well too. But like with everything else, you only get out of it, what you put into it.

LightningTeg 06-08-2015 11:15 AM

I have the sport comp II now and its about 2-3psi off, my old ultra lite was closer.

Figures my ebay glowshift from 2008 was the most accurate of the 3 and the cheapest =P

Dark_Teg 06-08-2015 11:46 AM

I love my AEM gauges.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...eb96d9f3dd.jpg

TheShodan 06-08-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg (Post 50386082)

Meh.. they copied off of Cyberdyne years ago

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/DSCF1431.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PH_PM8ePb...0/DSC05258.JPG

Dark_Teg 06-08-2015 09:27 PM

AEM didn't event the digital gauge but they make a good one. Have 3 in the Honda, 2 in the Lightning and 3 in the Mustang.