Notices

Measurement how to's, cant go any further till i get help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measurement how to's, cant go any further till i get help

I reached a point of my build where I can not go any further till i get some help on how to measure for cams. My crower cams ask me to take measurements i dont know where to start

Retainer to Valve guide clearance?

Rocker to Retainer clearance?

Piston to valve clearance? Head is already installed, is this a bad thing?

Valve to valve clearance? this one really has me baffled.

Here is a few picks of far i have built and where i am stuck.

Any help would be greatly apprecited. I dont want to have to drag this thing back to the machine shop and pay more if i dont have to. thanks to those who can offer assistance.

__

__

__

Old 03-21-2004, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Measurement how to's, cant go any further till i get help (GForceInteg)

Retainer to Valve guide clearance?
Install a valve into the head and slap the retainer and keepers on. The valve stem seals should also be installed. Set up a 2" travel dial indicator either from the bottom on the face of the valve or from the top on the tip of the valve stem. You can't use the indicator on the retainer unless you find a way to keep the keepers from popping out. Teflon tape maybe? Hondabond might be too hard to clean off. Zero the indicator and push the valve down until it bottoms out on the valve seal. Read the amount of travel on the indicator.

You also have to consider spring bind. If the spring bind is less than the retainer-to-stem seal clearance, then you don't have to worry about the retainer-to-stem clearance.

Rocker to Retainer clearance?
You shouldn't run into issues with this unless the cams you're using have really huge lift numbers and wide HI cam lobes. b19coupe has had issues with the Toda spec D's. I don't know what the lift numbers are on that cam.

Anyways, lock the rocker arms to the HI cam. Install the cams.

It's easier to do it with the head off, but since you have the head already on the block, you should also install the timing belt with proper cam phasing, as well as have the corresponding piston-to-valve clearances safely in mind. Or, you can set all the pistons so that they're half way down the bores. Rotate the cams while watching the rocker arms and retainers. Use a feeler gauge if you want to check for the absolute clearance numbers.

Piston to valve clearance?
It's easier to simply clay the motor, but you can still do it with the head on.

Install the cams and timing belt. Install low tension check springs (Pepboys or local hardware store) in place of a set of valve springs. Set up a 2" travel dial indicator on the retainer, zero it, and rotate the motor bit-by-bit. Every time you stop, use a screwdriver to push the retainer down until it contacts the piston. Record the amount of travel in the indicator. Check the clearances during the combustion stroke when the piston is starting to come up (IN) and go back down (EX).

Valve to valve clearance?
Same as above, only you want to check the clearances centered around the transition between the exhaust and intake cycles.

For this check and the one above, if you have adjustable cam gears, you'll have to check for the max advance/retard you can use. It also really helps if you use a degree wheel too.

Hope that gets you started.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Measurement how to's, cant go any further till i get help (IN VTEC)

As far as minimum safe clearances, maybe somebody else could help you out.

Retainer to Valve guide clearance =

Rocker to Retainer clearance =

Piston to valve clearance =

Valve to valve clearance =
Old 03-21-2004, 08:53 AM

Wow I really want to thank you for the excellant write-up. Unfortunatly i do not have the instruments to take these measurments and also would not feel comfortable with me doing this. But again thank you very much for taking the time to make this write-up.

With my web site i am building a database of installation procedures and such with picture so others like myself have somewhere to go to see first hand how these things are done. And also so the "noobs" can get all there questions answered without disrupting forums as i am doing Thanks again. If you or anyone would care to help out or add input to this database again it would be greatly appreciated. Im looking for even the simplest of procedures even air intake installs.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:54 AM

Also what are these measurments securing for me? im guessing it to make sure the cams do not open up the valves enough to hit the pistons?