Notices

McCord Power plate is shit. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . .

So My McCord power plate fell apart within the first three weeks I had it on my car. Since then I ran open downpipe, but my car has a problem with idle, and spits out a ton of fuel, so it turned the engine bay black. Also, I got pulled over for my rediculously loud exhaust. (or lack there of. . )

Anyway, I was bored and decided to fix up the McCord power plate to a Manual exhaust cutout. I was going to use a throttle body, but it was only like 60mm, so I just used parts from the TB. Here are some pics of what I did:

Donor:

woops, I don't know how that got there:

Basically I used the throttle cable wheel and the spring, along with a spacer or two from the throttle body. I'm going to mount up an L bracket coming off of the Cutout body in order to hold the cable in place. Then I will think of some kind of switch to use inside the car, most likely a lever. . . Or the cruise contorl actuator box that I recently removed from my engine bay
Old 01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (m R g S r)

Now with a little bit of silicon, it should seal with no problem, because the spring closes it pretty damn tight.

BTW Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (m R g S r)

Lose it and get a 4 inche exhaust because those thing suck
Had one on my car pos
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (OvErReV121)

4 inch exhaust?! lol ok

Great handywork!!

Modified by racinskittle at 6:46 PM 1/27/2005
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (OvErReV121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OvErReV121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Lose it and get a 4 inche exhaust because those thing suck
Had one on my car pos </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh schnapps! He said 4"!

*ahembandwagonahem*
Old 01-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (Finest)

Nice Benson block.

you could rig up that cutout with some bycycle brake cable. Go to the junkyard and get an oldschool switch for like a heater. You know the type you pull out with a ***.? and rig it up to that with the cable.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been telling people time and time again that E-cut is not a practical or a reliable solution for a street car. The motor seizes up and it's slow to open and close, the plate leaks, it's a b!tch to install, and it's bulky. When the e-cut opens, it's loud as hell, it reeks, and it makes an ugly mess undercar. Plus, you have to especially tune for the e-cut or else you won't see the maximum benefits.
I'd rather do a 3.5" or even a 4" downpipe and exhaust than using an e-cut anyday.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (green_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'd rather do a 3.5" or even a 4" downpipe and exhaust than using an e-cut anyday.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks, but no thanks. Have you ever heard my car with an rsr exmag? It's silent. I like it when crusing. Who cares what the bottom of the car looks like, when I run the exhaust through the back the entire bumper turns black. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OvErReV121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Lose it and get a 4 inche exhaust because those thing suck
Had one on my car pos </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for telling me that. Read the title of the thread. Mine fell apart, so I improved it, and don't really see what will fail with this one. No motor or gears to break.

If anyone sees any potential problems, please let me know so I can improve it!!!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think that "throttle body spring" is gonna be "enough" to hold the butterfly "closed" when you want it "closed" .... maybe look into a differant spring? or someting that will "lock the butterfly" either closed or open? somehow someway
Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think that "throttle body spring" is gonna be "enough" to hold the butterfly "closed" when you want it "closed" .... maybe look into a differant spring? or someting that will "lock the butterfly" either closed or open? somehow someway</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was thinking the same thing, you have to remember that your going to have alot of exhaust pressure going against the spring
Old 01-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (Code Blue)

Guys, the pressure will be pushign against both sides of the plate, the center of the plate is a pivot. I can see it opening if only one side had pressure against it, however.

Let me know how it works, I'm very interested in doing a similar setup myself
Old 01-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrm I hope I don't have any problems with my DMH cutout.. If I do I'd prolly try what you have done. Good thing DMH provides a blockoff plate so I can permantly cap it off with supplied wingnuts for easy removal for open downpipe at tracks. a bit more work but meh..
Old 01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrm I hope I don't have any problems with my DMH cutout.. If I do I'd prolly try what you have done. Good thing DMH provides a blockoff plate so I can permantly cap it off with supplied wingnuts for easy removal for open downpipe at tracks. a bit more work but meh..</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I have now, but the spool time is horrible (full boost 5k) and power is greatly reduced.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think that "throttle body spring" is gonna be "enough" to hold the butterfly "closed" when you want it "closed" .... maybe look into a differant spring? or someting that will "lock the butterfly" either closed or open? somehow someway</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem, because the exhaust will push on both sides. Thanks though. And that spring is pretty ****** tight, like it's hard to open, and springs closed reallly hard.

Here are some pics of what I did with the cable bracket. . .(we-todd-did) is down, so I will post em soon. .
Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys, the pressure will be pushign against both sides of the plate, the center of the plate is a pivot. I can see it opening if only one side had pressure against it, however.

Let me know how it works, I'm very interested in doing a similar setup myself </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will! I plan on opening and closing it very often, So I'll let you know.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:59 PM

depending how close to the turbo you have it i could see the heat affecting the spring.. i might be wrong though
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EVen if it did push open from exhaust flow. just wind the throttle coil spring another 360 So you'r runnig the blockoff palte right now but it's alost slwoer and slwoer spool? damn. what is the rest of your exhaust setup?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3 weeks? goddamn. looks like i gotta fork out the cash for a DMH
Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (green_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been telling people time and time again that E-cut is not a practical or a reliable solution for a street car. The motor seizes up and it's slow to open and close, the plate leaks, it's a b!tch to install, and it's bulky. When the e-cut opens, it's loud as hell, it reeks, and it makes an ugly mess undercar. Plus, you have to especially tune for the e-cut or else you won't see the maximum benefits.
I'd rather do a 3.5" or even a 4" downpipe and exhaust than using an e-cut anyday.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How the hell does a 3.5-4" downpipe reduce the noise, the smell or the mess?! It's not that bulky, and it's not a bitch to install. In order to tune for the e-cut you need 2 chips AT MOST (at one time). That's it. Hell, not even that. I dont see what the problem is.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: McCord Power plate is ****. . But I converted it to an M-cutout. . . (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EVen if it did push open from exhaust flow. just wind the throttle coil spring another 360 So you'r runnig the blockoff palte right now but it's alost slwoer and slwoer spool? damn. what is the rest of your exhaust setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hellll yeah! There is a huge difference. The turbo, with open DP is fully spooled at likke 3900-4krpm's. With ti closed, it's around 5-5200rpm's.

And with the cutout open, I gained 20hp at the wheels (75 degree day)

I'm running 3" dp, to 2.5" test pipe, to 2.25" b pipe and rsr exmag (which isnt much louder than stock, so you can imagine how restrictive it is)
Old 01-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh okay I was worried for a sec hehe. I'm running 2.5" DP all teh way back already. I jsut bought the cutout as a ltitle extra ummphh. hahaha
Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I got it on today, and. . . .It works!!!!

It just doesn't open as far as it used to (because I am using a modded bicycle brake handle) (mounted right next to the steering wheel height adjustment lever) but it still lets the turbo spool a ton faster and makes the tires spin alot harder! I'm pretty happy, I will get some pics soon. . . .
Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha sweet. What are you using the keep the thing locked open? You don't have to ahng onto it with your hand do you?
Old 01-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using a lockin brake handle.