Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside

Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
This is very reassuring! You hit the nail on the head, my source IS the compressor housing. Funny because I just read a post on here AND commented on it saying I needed to switch mine to the intake manifold. Welp, I forgot.

It would be super awesome if this simple fix solved my issue! I'll try it and report back. Thank you!!

What was it creeping up to? Around 10-11? Thatís what mine Tial 38mm with a 8psi spring and a ram manifold was doing . With the top mount and a 44mm wastegate I can install my 3psi spring and it wonít move from that spot now. Amazing the difference it made .....66/62 turbo on mine . But as I have also been saying........ use the intake manifold as vacuum reference always
Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It just kept creeping, so by 8500 redline it was up to 19. I really just need to get this under control, 500whp on track (autobahn full track coming up this Monday) is just not useable power.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It just kept creeping, so by 8500 redline it was up to 19. I really just need to get this under control, 500whp on track (autobahn full track coming up this Monday) is just not useable power.
From 19psi output from an 8.7psi spring? I take it you backed off the throttle by that point rather than hitting boost cut? Sounds as if the gate isn't opening at all, or opening VERY slowly. I had a clogged line recently that I discovered by seeing "boost creep", but I also had a low boost cut set. Raised it little by little til I got to 18 and when I was STILL hitting cut, I knew I had an issue. Plumbing was good, no lines cracked but one seemed to have a blockage. Anywho.. It's a simple process to check the boost/vac reference as Shodan mentioned but these details don't seem to fit that. Start simple first though, can't really rule out any potential problem!!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a boost solenoid in the line right now? Reason I ask, my ECU was not working correctly and it was locking my boost solenoid up which caused the wastegate to not open at all and it was trying to go full boost
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
Do you have a boost solenoid in the line right now? Reason I ask, my ECU was not working correctly and it was locking my boost solenoid up which caused the wastegate to not open at all and it was trying to go full boost
Below is the listed turbo and supporting components from post uno, sir!
Speedfactory mini-ram
Precision 5557e with "anti-surge" housing
Tial MVS 38mm wastegate, utilizing the water cooling ports
3" downpipe
2.5" charge piping all around
CX front mount 28x8x3 (roughly) - it'll do for now
Tial BOV
MAC valve with boost by gear
Hondata V3 S300

Hondata coil on plug conversion
Speedfactory COP components
Speedfactory 4 bar map sensor
Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We raised boost cut to 22psi so we were able to hit 8500 redline. I had bench tested the gate after the last dyno session, its opening right around 9psi.

The solenoid is in line, tonight I'm going to switch the source to the intake manifold and completely bypass the solenoid and see where I'm at. I have a strong feeling moving the source is going to help me out big time.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having the source connected to the fitting on the turbo will usually make the wastegate open early which will result in lower boost pressure until the intercooler regulates. I would configure the wastegate for a single line application and connect it straight the intake manifold, this will immediately tell you if the wastegate is good
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both Intercooler pressure drop and air shrinking due to cooling effects are not stable % as cfm / boost / temp raises.
Actually On 5 psi and 4000 rpm , lets say a super inaccurate example, 10 liters come in and 9.5 litters come out. At 25 psi and 9.000 rpm 50 liters come in 40 liters come out.
Its a mess really and wastegate doesnt know whats going on after the intercooler on your case...
But my money is on the speculaton that the true problem is on the manifold exit angle / wastegate valve flow.
Did your tuner try less ingnition avance + less fuel for more pressure on the exhaust manifold? or the opposite?

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 06-12-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
Both Intercooler pressure drop and air shrinking due to cooling effects are not stable % as cfm / boost / temp raises.
Actually On 5 psi and 4000 rpm , lets say a super inaccurate example, 10 liters come in and 9.5 litters come out. At 25 psi and 9.000 rpm 50 liters come in 40 liters come out.
Its a mess really and wastegate doesnt know whats going on after the intercooler on your case...
But my money is on the speculaton that the true problem is on the manifold exit angle / wastegate valve flow.
Did your tuner try less ingnition avance + less fuel for more pressure on the exhaust manifold? or the opposite?
I think his manifold should flow just fine, especially with the size turbo he is running..... my money is on the solenoid having a issue
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no problem running on gate for the time being, so I will configure it that way. Unfortunately I didn't get to switching everything over. I pulled by trans apart instead, making a couple gear changes.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
I think his manifold should flow just fine, especially with the size turbo he is running..... my money is on the solenoid having a issue
Fair point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: